Sadly Surprised

Options
TristaOnTrack
TristaOnTrack Posts: 64 Member
I joined MFP a long time ago, and was consistent for a little bit, but kept falling off track. Around November last year, I decided to heck with it, I don't need to weigh or measure anything. If I eat healthy and exercise, I should be fine.
I was feeling like I was eating pretty healthy. If I'm being totally honest with myself, I probably do too much snacking, and sometimes too many sweets. (But it's Organic! :P) But anyway, I've been feeling my clothes getting tight, and I've been feeling like maybe I do need to track. So I stepped on the scale this morning. Since November...I have put on...20 pounds! What!? I'm in freak out mode! I feel like clearly, I need structure! And could certainly use some support. That is one thing I feel like I can really count on here on MFP. People are so encouraging!

Replies

• mom0f3cuties
    mom0f3cuties Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. The last year I thought I've been incorporating a lot of vegetables and exercise in my family's routine and somehow I now weight the most I ever have. I started logging everything the last two weeks and it makes me much more aware of my intake. Since logging for the last 17 days I've lost some weight but now I realize this will have to be my new norm (not the weight, but the logging).
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i was also unpleasantly surprised when I finally stepped on the scale this spring. I think you're in the right place. Welcome back, and good luck!
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that snuck up on you by not logging! I am also to create structure and support doing it. I would like friends who log, but especially who complete their diaries everyday. I struggle with that and I think the more friends I have who complete them, the better I will do too. If that sounds like something you want to do, FR me!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Yup! The key to success is being brutally honest and vigilant with tracking everything you eat. My eyes were opened with my first tracked breakfast -- coffee creamer is a killer.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i'm with you! amazing how i can convince myself that i'm not eating too much or that i've exercised enough to cover a treat. i sent you a FR!
  • Staffylover1
    Staffylover1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you about being surprised by the scale! I know the only way I can lose weight is with structure, i.e. tracking my food. I'm new to MFP and am so happy they have a food tracker! When I know I have to mark down everything I've eaten, and be honest about it (lol), it really makes me think about my food choices. Don't be too hard on yourself while you get back on track. :smiley:
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I hate having blind eye to weight gain and loss. I wear a lot of yoga pants and when I was 20lbs heavier than I am now, I didnt see the weight on me until I tried to put on a pair of jeans. Now Im having a hard time seeing the weight loss despite the fact Im wearing jeans the majority of my week and they fit comfortably.
    My biggest downfall is snacking too. I have a toddler who loves her cookies and fruits and Ill take a bite here and there. Tally it up and suddenly Im 150cal over on my calorie goal. Lol
  • TristaOnTrack
    TristaOnTrack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to take a moment and say thank you for the encouragement!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. Lots of us have been there with the same mindset-- "I got this. I'll eat 'healthy' and be careful. People overthink this!" Yikes... One upside is that you caught it before it ballooned into 25, 30 or 50 pounds. Hang in there. It's daunting to feel like you need to log forever. You probably won't, but for now, that will keep you on track and headed in the direction you want to be in.
  • michelle9999
    michelle9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post. I saw my Dr yesterday for my 6 week follow-up to see how much I lost after he told me to walk each day and count calories. I gained 7 lbs. (20 since October 2015, total of 37 since May 2013) I have all the knowledge necessary to lose the weight, just can't flip the switch in my brain to do it. I tracked yesterday evening after not really watching what I ate, but not really going overboard. 3000 calories. That's 2 days worth. I had no idea. Back to daily tracking!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yup! The key to success is being brutally honest and vigilant with tracking everything you eat. My eyes were opened with my first tracked breakfast -- coffee creamer is a killer.

I'm certain the 32 pounds I have lost since January was a result of cutting back on my coffee creamer drastically. ;) I still allow myself one cup of coffee with my creamer, but that's it.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Stopped tracking after losing 50lb because life got hectic and I had 1000 excuses.

Packed 30lb back on. How discouraging!!

Needless to say, I'm back on the wagon.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I joined 3 years ago, lost 32 pounds. Maintained for a year and then in October I quit smoking. That in itself is a great achievement for my health but I did not monitor my eating and now I have piled on 28 pounds and need to get rid of it. I know how to do it and I am sure that I will do it and MFP will give me the support and help I need.

Good luck to you I am sure you will succeed :)
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Ditto on this story. I was exercising more than ever last October. I thought, I'm exercising 2 hours a day, there's no need for me to diet and count calories anymore. I took a few breaks from it, or it was mostly yoga after I stopped doing a spin class. Fast forward to March and I had gained over 20 lbs. Tracking is the most important part.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It just seems to happen magically! Th gains that is.
  • Barrett9835
    Barrett9835 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I joined several years ago but last summer was the best at losing weight I had ever done....then came the excuses....so I weigh even more...I have been tracking for one week and have lost 4 lbs so far and I quit smoking....I am free...and its motivating me! Welcome back.
  • Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    OMG I love this post. It's so funny that we all think the same way. I too lost 20 pounds two years ago on MFP, then thought I could continue to lose weight without tracking. Needless to say, I'm in the process of losing those same 20 pounds (7 more to go!). I agree it's constant vigilance. It's like Food Anonymous, weight management will always be a lifelong commitment, but MFP is a great tool and there's great people here to motivate you. Welcome back and best of luck with your weight loss journey.
  • rnrjohns
    rnrjohns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Omg I did the SAME thing!! I lost about 20 lbs 3 years ago and stopped using MFP due to moving. Well here I am now 30 lbs heavier and up multiple sizes. I've been back on for 35 days now but just really started logging my food 100% over the last week and a half! Feel free to add me (anyone)!! I do SO much better with friends
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Me too, but worse. I stopped using MFP in June of 2014 after losing 80lbs and I've gained back 70 of those. Ugh. Back on track and logging like a mofo. Add me for support.