PMS and Chocolate

Options
2»

Replies

• Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's not just women who need chocolate. ;)

I eat 100 calories of chocolate every day. I'ts part of my diet plan. 90% cacao seems be more satisfying than the overly sweet chocolate candies. I also add unsweetened cocoa to my protein shake after a run.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    when i get chocolate cravings, i make sure that i have double chocolate chunk quest bars (or maybe chocolate chip cookie dough) in the house - then i replace protein and fat for one meal with one of the quest bars. yum!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Word of caution on magnesium supplements, stomach upset is a common side effect. I cant take them.

I eat more carbs when i have pms- toast. Oatmeal, more bananas etc.

Huh, I've never had a problem with stomach upset from magnesium supplements and I don't even take them with food.

I'm currently taking Now Foods, Magnesium & Potassium Aspartate and used to take Twinlab, Magnesium Caps, 400 mg (magnesium oxide).

Quoting this because it bears repeating - I don't take this same supplement, but taking a magnesium supplement has helped immensely with my chocolate cravings around TOM. I no longer feel this intense craving to binge on chocolate :)

~Lyssa
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    LOL! Yeah me too! broke down and got some chocolate...& started 2 days later... :wink: Yeah I tend to bloat, also (water weight) feeling blah! Need to get back on track! chocolate and salty chips... :(...Get this 3-5 lbs back off!

I always have a couple horrible bloating days when I look 5 months pregnant. Ugh.
  • MellissaSaucedo
    MellissaSaucedo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, what helped me is my car broke down :'(:D
  • MellissaSaucedo
    MellissaSaucedo Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Word of caution on magnesium supplements, stomach upset is a common side effect. I cant take them.

I eat more carbs when i have pms- toast. Oatmeal, more bananas etc.

Huh, I've never had a problem with stomach upset from magnesium supplements and I don't even take them with food.

I'm currently taking Now Foods, Magnesium & Potassium Aspartate and used to take Twinlab, Magnesium Caps, 400 mg (magnesium oxide).

Those with gluten sensitivities typically have depleted magnesium levels and can use a supplement. If someone gets too much magnesium the natural affect is GI discomfort and loose bowls.
  • andimeg
    andimeg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolaty cereal (like Coco Puffs) dry. You can fill up a pretty good sized bowl for not too many calories.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I eat the chocolate. I find that hot chocolate can satisfy the craving for relatively few calories. I used to keep chocolate ice cream around and eat a bowl when having a craving, but I can't keep ice cream in the house with my husband. I also agree with chocolate cereal as one your meals to satisfy the craving and make it fit into your day.

To be fair, I do have a tendency to go over my calories when the craving hits really hard. Especially if I try to satisfy it with candy bars.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate daily, but I only bring 1 of those Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt bars in the house at a time... 1 square is 48 calories. I usually eat 2 a day. The odds are I'd never eat the whole bar cause hubs is right in there with me getting his chocolate fix. At worst, if I ate half a bar it would be 190 calories. I can deal with that. The trick is limited quantities at any given time. lol
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I hate to admit it but most of the time I give in to TOM (Time of Month) every month. He usually gets what he wants. TOM calls a week ahead and demands salt, sugar, chocolate, and carbs and when and he shows up, with a vengeance, he’s not so much demanding of these things. I am most likely in serious pain with bathroom issues and nauseated. =( I try not to weigh in a few days after because I am up about 5-6 pounds. I think I have two good weeks out the month.