HELP!! Agrivating plateau making me want to quit

my weight has been STUCK at 136 since 4/16 and it's making me insane. I lost 11 lbs- about a pound a week, before that. Slow and steady. I'm 5'3" I eat 1200 cal a day when I don't work out(logging religiously- yes I count EVERYTHING and yes I weigh my food) when I DO work out- I don't eat back all my workout cals. I usually go to 1300-1400 on days I burn 400 at the gym and on my long run days I'm burning 700-1000 (running 7-12 miles) and on those days I'll eat up to 1600-1800. Even with eating the extra cals I WAS losing a pound a week and not going SO low with cals that I would put myself into starvation mode. I'm SO frustrated that I'm running 20 miles a week, working out doing Jillian michaels, NOT eating as much as I'd like to eat and seeing no more results!! WHY has it stopped all of the sudden?? What can I do?? I tried 3 days of higher calories to bump my metabolism and then back to 1200 and still nothing. The damn scale keeps steady at 136.2-136.8. This makes NO sense and I'm going nuts!! Help please! :(

Replies

• gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    The scale is just a number. How do you look/feel?

I had a big cheat meal on Sat and added a good 5 pounds to the scale and it stayed stuck there for 3 full days. I paid little attention to it as i know it isn't reflected in the mirror. It will go down eventually. keep on plugging along!!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Why not try upping your calories for a few weeks see if anything happens, especially when you're running and burning that many calories. What weight are you wanting to be, as the nearer you get to it the harder it can be. Maybe just try maintaining for a few weeks, again see what happens, it's all trial and error.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    It's only been 2 1/2 weeks. The fact that you have very little to lose makes it much more difficult because a few meals of over-estimating can keep you at the same weight.
    Also, I don't think you can alter a metabolism in 3 days. That's something that takes a bit of time either via building/losing muscle or increasing cardiac output, etc. That takes about 6 weeks minimum. Your body's metabolism is not so easily swayed by three days of over-eating.
    If you're going nuts and frustrated maybe it's time to look into something different? Are you eating the same food all the time? Maybe there's different recipes, different macros you can try to change it up that will still keep you in caloric range?
    If you're just running then maybe you want to change that up a bit? Do you do sprints during your long runs or run up hills? Do you do anything else besides Jillian Michael's videos? Maybe join a class or find different youtube workout videos to change it up and challenge your body more? With that distance you're running as well you may be retaining more water because the repair on damaged muscles from 12 miles is extensive and will take some time to recover, not to mention the repair on the joints as well.

I think you're doing a great job but there's going to be plateaus with any weight loss, particularly as you have less and less to lose. It's important to have other goals as well - measurements you can make to see changes? workout goals, etc and not be as pre-occupied with the number on the scale.
    Also, "starvation mode" is not a thing. But if you're eating less than you burn everyday and you've tried to make other changes to no avail then maybe a check up with the doctor for blood work to make sure there's no hormonal issues, or medications you're taking that may be slowing down your progress.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    2 weeks is not a plateau. First are your logging correctly. This means weighing your food not using cups or spoons. Are you using correct entries (not homemade or generic)? The closer you get to your goal the slower the weight loss. Don't go below 1200. Maybe try changing your goals to 0.5 pounds per week and see what happens. You are not going to go into starvation mode (myth). Don't freak out.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    P.S. A few years ago when I was at my thinnest I was running extensively as you were and I was lifting a lot too. My weight hit 145 pounds on the scale, and stayed there for months. BUT I went down 3 pant sizes. I think if you're doing as much as you say you are doing then there should be other noticeable differences in your body that you can focus on besides that number on the scale. I was annoyed too that I was running 5-6 miles 5 days a week and lifting but that stupid number didn't move. But since I thinned out so much and I fell down to a size 6 I was able to not become so number obsessed on the scale
  • drockncrisso
    drockncrisso Posts: 49 Member
    It's now been a month. 136, still. I tried bumping my calories up to 1400-1600 for a few days then dropped back down to 1200 -and still nothing. I can't imagine bumping my calories for "weeks", it seems like that would just make me start gaining weight back. I keep hearing "there's no REAL starvation mode- so if that's the case, I should be dropping lbs. I'm obsessive about counting calories, every little thing. It just does not seem possible that I can eat so little and work out so much and not lose an ounce. I'm tempted to try 800 for a week or something. SOMETHING has to give. I ran a half marathon this weekend. Ate about 1500 that day- supposedly burned 1200 from the running alone. Even if I ate to maintain the ENTIRE rest of the week- I should have lost almost half a pound that day (since a lb is 3500 cals) so WHY isn't my weight moving????
  • drockncrisso
    drockncrisso Posts: 49 Member
    Ugh.. It's like some kind of cruel joke! I can put my child on the scale and SEE that it works! My 4 year old is 42lbs.. But this morning I was 136.4 and tonight .. 136.4!! Not even a fluctuation between morning and night???!
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Are you weighing all your food using a scale and in grams ? Perhaps yu could open your diary so people can give pointers. The truth of if it is, if you are not losing or gaining then you are eating at maintenance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Running messes things up because you will retain a lot of water working those muscles.

I agree though, you're probably eating more than you think.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Uhg, that sounds super frustrating! I know people on this forum love to say "starvation mode doesn't exist, you must be wrong about your logging" but that's an oversimplification, I think. I know it must be insanely scary to consider upping your intake when you're already not losing and you have worked so hard to get where you are. And going even lower is scary, too. What if you mess up your metabolism even more? What if you get so hungry and frustrated you end up massively overeating and undoing weeks of work?

I don't have the answer. I just wanted to let you know I'm listening with sympathy, and I believe that you're logging precisely and something weird is going on. Maybe try upping your intake gradually? Maybe go straight to what MFP says is maintenance for a week, and if there's no change, try another week. If you start gaining, then go back down. Is your body shape improving? If so, maybe everything is really okay and you should put the scale in the cupboard for a while?

Maybe see a doctor?

I'm sorry. And good luck. I'd love to hear how this story ends.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    If the running is new you are probably retaining water/gylcogen stores from the new exercise.

This can take up to 6 weeks to go away.

Increasing calories does not increase metabolism...

YOu mention you weigh your food but do you log accurately and consistently...using correct entries and logging everything?

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    If this were me: I would put the scale away for a month and pay attention to measurements only. Stick to the numbers: they don't lie. Often times outside factors (STRESS!!!) can play a huge role in the #'s on the scale...and it sounds like this may be a factor in your case. Take a deep breath, hide the scale, and enjoy the journey: this is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I've had experience with true plateaus myself. True plateaus are uncommon, and most who think they are in a plateau are not in a true plateau because they are unknowingly eating at maintenance.

The part that makes the least sense is that, during a true plateau, one should have weight fluctuations. It may go up and down 2-3 lbs. (sometimes even more) from day to day and even hour to hour. I know you mentioned you trust the scale, but no fluctuations is highly unusual. See if you can use another scale - at the gym, at a friend's place, etc. If possible, bring your scale so you can weigh on yours and then on the other right away... see how far apart they are, and repeat a few times to see if the gap is consistent.

Let's say you are in a plateau - in a true plateau, a person does not lose regardless of how little they eat and does not gain regardless of how much they eat. This is true up until the end of the plateau. Try raising calorie intake by 1K calories per day (more if you are able to eat that much) for 6 weeks. If you are in a true plateau, then you will not gain. If you notice you start gaining, then you have proven that you are not in a true plateau... in that case, reduce calories again.

If, after 6 weeks of high calorie intake, you find that you ARE in a true plateau (i.e. you haven't gained anything), then you should continue what you are doing because there will be a "whoosh" eventually. It may take 6 months or longer, but true plateaus eventually end with the result that most would see more quickly and regularly. Try not to get discouraged. Keep doing what you need to do and trust it will make a difference. I know it is tough - I've been there myself, and nearly quit during long plateaus.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    You may just need patience.

Consider these 2 alternatives: a) give up. Go back to old habits. Put on weight and/or do things that harm your health & fitness. OR b) keep going. Be active, fit. Eventually the scale will move - but even if it takes a while you are doing things that benefit your health/fitness.

Which option makes sense to you?
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    edited May 2016
    Do you track your weight daily? I started using happy scale about 3 months ago and now I am not scared if my weight changes constantly. For the last couple weeks it was TOM and then last week I was weighing 2 lbs more then before (about 132 at 5"3), I kinda worried but I still recognized my clothes are fitting way looser and I can tell in my stomach. I started using 6 lbs in extra weight when doing strength training so I took it as maybe its water weight from this or I've been sick for the past couple of weeks it could be many things. Now this week I'm down to 129ish and I'm thinking I worried for nothing. Just don't give up I know its frustrating but I had the same thing happen and all of a sudden I was down 3 lbs! So keep going!

Also maybe you're 1 lb a week weight loss is too aggressive, I started at 138 and did .5 lb a week and found it much easier and I've been losing at that rate since the end of Jan. Remember the longer it takes to come off the longer it will stay off.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Step away from the scales. You are fit as a whistle running half marathons and everything. So what is your goal?? Being fit and healthy, or seeing a number on the scale??
    Don't let the scale-number bring you down, as that will have an impact on your routine as well.
  • jeremycottle
    jeremycottle Posts: 1 Member
    Too much running and too much calorie restriction. You've lost muscle mass along with the fat as you've progressed. This is unavoidable. As you get closer to your scale goal in pounds, your "maintenance calories" have decreased as your body attempts to hold on to what it has. The body will try to keep things the same (homeostasis), so excessive running with calorie restriction has lowered your metabolism. You need to find the proper amount of calories for your "new" weight and really dial in your macros, especially protein intake. I would also say to start exploring weight training instead of the running/Jillian Michaels cardio-type workouts. You don't have to stop doing cardio completely, but your body requires a different stimulus at this point to progress further. It's time to start focusing on building lean mass, then you should be able to break through your plateau.