Intuitive Eating

Options
rccsinger
rccsinger Posts: 1,090 Member
Has anyone ever heard of or tried intuitive eating? I just read a book called Big Girl, How I Gave Up Dieting and Got a Life in which the author records her love/hate relationship with food and her journey with intuitive eating. Not sure how I feel about the concept, but some of it makes sense. Would love to know what others think.

Replies

• gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I didn't read that one but read "Intuitive Eating (Tribole and Resch)" and tried it for awhile. It doesn't work well for me. I can maintain fairly well but am unable to lose. The concept seems to make sense on paper, but I think it can be really difficult for people who have both a skewed concept of portion size and are out of touch with natural hunger cues. I also found myself constantly thinking and obsessing about food while doing it.
    I do believe that it's good to get in touch with what our bodies are telling us they need, but my body is not good at recognizing when enough is enough. Even "healthy" foods can cause weight gain and I need more accountability (calories, points, whatever) in order to lose.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I actually am trying to get an appointment w a sports nutritionist who specializes in those w eating disorders, but her approach is w intuitive eating. I'll report back!!