HRM'S a necessity?

Options
Hi.

I'm thinking of buying the Polar ft7 that will set me back £65.00 but I'm hoping it will help motivate me and make me more aware of what I'm actually burning as I feel mfp is probably a lil too high.

Anyway do you feel they are necessary for a successful weightloss/workout or should I continue exercising blindly guessing my calorie expenditure?

Thanks for any help

Serene

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    ive been losing successfully without one. I just cant see spending that kind of money on a HRM. Im kind of cheap though. lol
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think at first, they are not necessary... but as you go along you need to be more precise and they become more and more important. I will say that the Polar is a really nice HRM though... you could do worse. The FT4 is nice too, without a couple of bells that I personally don't feel are necessary.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. I actually have two...one for the gym and one for the pool. I couldn't get by without it now..because now I know exactly what I am doing during my workouts instead of going in blind. You will love it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't need one, but if you don't use one I would only eat back 50-75% of the calories that MFP gives you to be sure you are not over estimating your caloric burn.
  • sblades
    sblades Posts: 75
    Options
    I love my polar F6 - I had my best success when I was using it regularly, you'r right, as you get fitter, you burn less calories to do the same exercise over time, so it's important to calculate and account for that.
    EXCELLENT investment, and it will never be too big or too small (like 90% of my clothes ;))
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say they are a necessity as I'm sure many people are successful in losing weight without one. But if you want to be really accurate I feel that they are a good idea. You are right, many of the figures on this site are on the high side. I always pick the lowest figure from the machine in the gym or what it says on the site, just to be on the safe side, but I too am thinking of buying a HRM just so I can be certain. Good luck!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't. I stopped using mine after about three months.
    I had just a wrist one, with out a chest strap. I found that I was constantly checking it and that it took away from my work out.
    Haven't used one since. I use the numbers that MFP gives me.
    Steph
  • kleguisamon
    kleguisamon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Absolutey necessary!! I recently got a Sportline Solo 915 (a little cheaper than the Polars -- about $60USD), and after spending some time getting the hang of it, I'm glad I bought it. MFP's numbers are basically just averages, and they are way off from what the HRM says. Good luck!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I think at first, they are not necessary... but as you go along you need to be more precise and they become more and more important. I will say that the Polar is a really nice HRM though... you could do worse. The FT4 is nice too, without a couple of bells that I personally don't feel are necessary.

i agree with this. i did not have one at first and lost just fine. after a few months, my weight loss slowed and i got an HRM. i am not burning as much as MFP tells me when i do things like jog or hike. but some things i burn more like when i use my wii fit. i am happy i have it. i use it every day!- ps i also have the polar ft4. $90 well spent!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I find mine helps motivate me and there fore important to me, but not necessary
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I feel that it makes a more accurate count on your calorie burn so you are really knowing how much work you are doing. I really feel that helps keep me motivated. I actually just lost mine on vacation and have been very lost without it.
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7....LOVE IT! I do not think a HRM is an absolute necessity, but like others on here I found out after wearing mine that MFP's calaries burned were quite a bit higher than my actual burn so the HRM keeps much more accurate records. ALSO I find it a great motivator! When I'm ready to quit or feel too tired to keep excercising, I look at the calories burned and it pushes me to burn some more! If you do part with the $$$ for one......invest in one with a chest strap much more accurate and not as interfering with your workout....I learned the hard way :(
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not necessary but makes tracking a whole lot easier and more confident in the numbers you are recording for burn.

I went maybe 1 - 2 months without one - but now wouldn't be without it.

Personal opinion - yep to the FT7 - though I think from memory the only real difference between it and the cheaper FT4 is memory capacity *don't hold me to it though* - FT7 stores 20 sessions I think & FT4 - 10 sessions.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My exercise will be centred on walking an hour 2/3x a week and Jillian Michaels dvds on rotation so would love to know if the exercise I'm doing is actually making as much a difference as I think, plus I desperately need the motivation and emptying my pockets can do that sometimes lol
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi i bought an polar ft7 two weeks ago and it's my best friend. If I eat over my calories I get my bum up and out to walk them off. I wouldn't excersise without it now. Fab.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hey there, of course they're not necessary but after reading so much about them on here i really wanted one. I've got the FT4, it was £51.99 found it on amazon, it's pretty basic but exactly right for me.

The calories burnt don't differ to much from mfp's estimates BUT what it interesting is the calories burnt of the same exercise so differ on the hrm according to how much effort i put in. For example doing the 30 day shred the calories burnt have ranged from 191 - 231 calories! Which is good to know as mfp would just give you the same amount each time.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, no, it's not a necessity - however, if you're not going to use one, don't rely on MFP's calorie burn numbers and try to lose eating all of those back. Only eat half to 2/3rds of them.

I would strongly encourage you to go ahead an bite the bullet and buy that HRM. Think of it as an investment in your health!! Also, think of all the heatlh benefits you're getting out of it! Losing weight and getting more fit may prevent things like heart disease, diabetes, joint issues, etc - saving you money in the long run!

I've got the Polar FT4 and had a Polar F6 before that - both are great.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice, this has been bugging me for awhile now so I've gone ahead and ordered the ft7 hopefully it will be a great investment.

Serene x
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Blindly guessing has worked out fine for me so far, I think it would be a fun toy and quite motivating, it's not a necessity.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think at first, they are not necessary... but as you go along you need to be more precise and they become more and more important. I will say that the Polar is a really nice HRM though.

I agree w/ this. I love mine (also a Polar FT7) and I find it to be extremely helpful! Do you have to have one? Probably not. But I think once you get one, you'll realize that you made a good investment!! Good luck!! :smile: