Need to chose a step tracker under $120 CAD

Options
nakeddog
nakeddog Posts: 79 Member
I've been reading just about everything I can find and nothing has made me more overwhelmed.

My needs are simple: accuracy, steps, connect to computer

Bonus: stairs, heart rate, long battery life

Not necessary for me: sleep, connecting to phone or the apps,

Comparing:

Fitbit Zip, Fitbit One, Fitbit Flex

Garmin Vivofit 2 (on sale $89.99)

Recommended by friends (Fitbit Charge HR...even on sale, still can't afford it), Misfit Flash was also recommended as a budget option $30...but reviews don't like it...maybe another in the line is better like Misfit Shine?

Open to suggestions, or opinions. The good/bad...would you buy it again?

Thanks

Replies

• carlypi314
    carlypi314 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin vivofit and you can get it bundled with a heart rate monitor strap for under $120. I prefer the vivofit because you don't have to charge it. I thought about upgrading to a vivosmart, but I know I'll hate having to charge it all the time. A lot of reviews also mention the heart rate monitors on the wrist bands aren't as acurate as the chest straps; I only have the strap (which I love), so I can't say how well the monitors on the wrist bands work.
  • aurical84
    aurical84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got a mistfit shine (first gen) and really like it, the only issues might be connecting to a computer. It requires Bluetooth LE (low energy) and I'm not sure that it syncs to anything other than the mobile app (android and iOS). As of a few days ago the topaz color was $38 USD on amazon so it's pretty affordable (other colors were significantly more expensive, but still in your price range).

It seems to be very accurate for step based workouts. My main complaint is that the included band looks absolutely worthless (i.e., your shine is likely to pop out without you noticing). I didn't even bother using it and ordered a $15 usd stainless steel band by Biao Ge that holds it securely and makes it look like a nice watch.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Jawbone works great...I paid I think 105$ for mine.

bluetooth sync to phone.

not a big fan of fitbit zip...gave me 6 active minutes for shovelling snow for 45mins.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    My fitbit zip is good for challenges, not for calorie estimation. My Garmin vivofit is great for calorie estimation, not so good for challenges (although they have made some recent changes). Both of them have long battery life (fibit 5-6 months, Garmin 12 months advertised, but I am going on 16 months without a charge or a battery change). What bugs me is that my Garmin is waterproof and my fitbit is not. Makes a big difference when caught in rain or don't want to take it off when washing dishes or showering. With regard to HR, I can connect the garmin HR strap to the vivofit when ever I need to track my heart rate.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the feedback.

One more question about using the wrist vs clip. I walk 3 dogs most of the time, or I push a shopping cart...so my arms are not swinging or pumping. Does this make a difference?

I am the one to do the snow shoveling too...I never considered if they recorded that I was active. I also like to do some videos in the living room, or gardening. I guess that is a good feature too.

I am not a big phone user, I have it for my kids to keep in touch at school, I play candy crush on it. We don't have a data plan, so I have to be in wifi to connect...which I don't bother with, I just use the laptop. I already enter my food on this site...I don't mind entering the steps walked at the same time.

• 20yearsyounger
    Options
    nakeddog wrote: »

One more question about using the wrist vs clip. I walk 3 dogs most of the time, or I push a shopping cart...so my arms are not swinging or pumping. Does this make a difference?
    Speaking only from the fitbit zip/vivofit point of view. If you are walking dogs on a leash you probably won't have a problem. It doesn't really rely on arm swinging. I get my steps walking with things in my hand. Pushing a cart (depending on a cart) is different. Sometimes I may have to put it in my pocket to get steps. The vivofit3 that was just released is supposed to fix that problem.
    I am the one to do the snow shoveling too...I never considered if they recorded that I was active. I also like to do some videos in the living room, or gardening. I guess that is a good feature too.
    I truly don't focus on those things too much. I do get steps but with the Garmin it hasn't impacted my weight loss. I don't want to over estimate. I can't say the same with regard to the zip because it may capture extra things that I don't want. The logic to identify if it is truly a step/movement isn't the same
    I am not a big phone user, I have it for my kids to keep in touch at school, I play candy crush on it. We don't have a data plan, so I have to be in wifi to connect...which I don't bother with, I just use the laptop. I already enter my food on this site...I don't mind entering the steps walked at the same time.
    You don't have to enter steps walk. You just need to sync it when you have the chance. I don't sync all the time, just at periodic times. Maybe that's why my battery is lasting so long.

• nakeddog
    Options
    I have an Samsung Android (sorry don't know the generation)...I am sure it will be nice to have it sync, but if there is a USB cord for the computer that would actually be better for me. I just need to print out the report for the doctor, who is requiring it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

It definitely makes a difference on the wrist trackers, yes. That's one reason I prefer the Fitbit One.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

You don't even need to use a phone, ever. With the Fitbit, there is a usb Bluetooth dongle that gets plugged into your PC and you just leave it there. When you get within 20 feet or so, it will connect automatically and sync without you having to do a thing.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Yeah, both my zip and garmin shipped with usb wireless devices that plug into the computer so you don't need a phone.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I really like my Misfit Flash, but it syncs via Bluetooth (so to my phone). I like it because it's great at counting my cycling, and it can be worn where it will count the best (clipped to my shoe, or on my waist, rather than on my wrist). Plus it was really inexpensive.

But if you won't use it with your phone, then it's not great. It's no problem to just sync it a couple times a day at home, though.
  • amcso1234
    amcso1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like the misfit shine... Easy to wear, water 'proof', fairly accurate for my activities (compared to Fitbit worn at the same time), syncs w/iPhone, syncs w/MFB...nicer looking than the Fitbit...
  • nakeddog
    Options
    I think this definitely helped me to narrow it down. I think I am going to check with hubby about the Bluetooth aspect for my phone, make sure I have a compatible one.

I've read about the Misfit getting out of it's holder, but I love the idea of the pouch on the shoe, and being able to use the bike with it. It is pretty, I like the one with the necklace, but also that it can be used elsewhere...making this one the most versatile, and most $ friendly.

Fitbit is such a household name, but it is 50/50 with reviews...those that get a good one LOVE it, and stay within the Fitbit family, but then there are those that go thru so many duds...hard to trust it, based on how equal the reviews are. But it is a clip, and has both sync and USB.

I was sold on the Garmin Vivofit,...with the exception that it is a wrist band. I liked the reviews, the accuracy it claims, and the battery. I'm concerned about it tho, based on my needs and how I walk...and the fact I do not wear a watch or any bracelets, may feel awkward.

• Skeeterbug13
    Skeeterbug13 Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have been very happy with my misfit shine. I started off with a flash, but 2 weeks in the case cracked and water got inside causing some of the lights to stop working. I haven't had a huge problem with it getting out of it's holder, once I caught it on something and I felt it pull out. The band is inexpensive to replace if it gets stretched out. Also, the misfit products use a watch battery for power. I love that I never need to charge it. I bought my shine new on Ebay and got a killer deal.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    I think this definitely helped me to narrow it down. I think I am going to check with hubby about the Bluetooth aspect for my phone, make sure I have a compatible one.

I've read about the Misfit getting out of it's holder, but I love the idea of the pouch on the shoe, and being able to use the bike with it. It is pretty, I like the one with the necklace, but also that it can be used elsewhere...making this one the most versatile, and most $ friendly.

Fitbit is such a household name, but it is 50/50 with reviews...those that get a good one LOVE it, and stay within the Fitbit family, but then there are those that go thru so many duds...hard to trust it, based on how equal the reviews are. But it is a clip, and has both sync and USB.

Interesting. I know a lot of people that use Fitbits (we have to use trackers for our insurance program) and I don't know a single one of them with a complaint about it. I have used a One for over 2 years now, and other than forgetting it and letting it go through the washer :# I have had no issues. And if you DO have problems, they have a fabulous customer support team.
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The Jawbone Up sells for about $30. It comes on a clip but you can but wristbands that are compatible. Sometimes they are bundled together. It also syncs to the phone via Bluetooth and is compatible with MFP. The battery is a standard watch battery and last 4-6 months. If on a wrist band, it sleep tracks as well.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

I was sold on the Garmin Vivofit,...with the exception that it is a wrist band. I liked the reviews, the accuracy it claims, and the battery. I'm concerned about it tho, based on my needs and how I walk...and the fact I do not wear a watch or any bracelets, may feel awkward.

I generally don't wear jewelry or watches so I had the same concerns about a wristband. So far they have becoming a part of me. I forget they are there.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for the help. I continued to read more reviews...and it came down to Fitbit One and Misfit Shine. I really liked a lot about the Misfit, the versatility, the look and battery, but in the end I decided on the One. Knowing myself I know that I will want to see the #'s displayed and since I have stairs daily in my life I want it to count.

I ended up buying off Amazon.ca, with free shipping, it came to $117.61 CAD...my husband wanted me to be happy with the Fitbit Zip...at a price of $80...but I felt it was too basic.

The more I read about the wristband style with dogs, carrying pkgs, shopping...it wasn't a good fit for me. I don't use my arms as much as I should when walking...so just to be safe I picked the clip to be more accurate.

I hope I love it as much as others do...it was the overall winner in brand recommendation between friends, family and here.