Help I need vegan friends!

Options
Hi, is there anyone on here doing vegan weight loss that I can befriend? I'm going to TRY and stick to a macro plan but very new to this and not long vegan either so some assistance and motivation would be great. I'm not overweight but a lot heavier than I have ever been and not happy about it. I put on weight in all the wrong places... Face and stomach :( I'm not very active but I work and I'm a single parent. I know people manage to still keep fit despite this, but I currently don't. I'm in the UK so only have British products easily available to me. Hoping to get recipes that are manageable for on the go, cheap and easy with particular guidance on amounts and weighing things as that's where I am rubbish...maths is not my forte, even counting change stresses me out! Hopefully some of you don't mind helping me, I will try and help in any way I can in return :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds last year just meeting my calorie/macro goals (and I'm vegan). Let me know if you have any specific questions or anything I can help with.

Some vegans do change up their default macros to reflect that a lot of our protein sources do tend to be higher in carbohydrates. My personal goal is 60% carbohydrate, 10-15% protein, 25-30% fat. This is just what works for me personally -- there is no reason why you can't start with the default and adjust them from there if you do want to have more carbohydrates (or more protein or fat).

If you search the "Recipe" area, you will see many threads for quick and easy vegan recipes. I've also had great luck from looking on Pinterest for recipes.

Welcome! This is a great tool for weight loss/maintaining.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian- and my diary is public. You can add me if you like.

I, however, eat dairy products sometimes. No meat, seafood or eggs though.

I'm also down around 26 lbs so far since Jan 9, 2016.

My macros are 30% P , Carbs 40% and fats 30% - they sometimes go higher in carb department because well vegetables and all but I maintain a deficit regardless of macros-that's why so far weight loss is going smooth.
  • laurasoane
    laurasoane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you for your replies. I've tried adding you both but who knows if I've done it correctly
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    There are actually some pretty active groups that would be good for support.

I'm a member of this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

and this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/46-team-vegan
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    laurasoane wrote: »
    Thanks both of you for your replies. I've tried adding you both but who knows if I've done it correctly

It worked! :)
  • laurasoane
    Options

and this one:

Groups?! I had no idea there were groups! This is amazing thank you :)
  • laurasoane
    Options

It worked! :)

Hurrah!!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

and this one:

Groups?! I had no idea there were groups! This is amazing thank you :)

No problem. Those are the most active vegan groups that I've found. There are possibly others, but those seem most active.
  • HarmoniousExpression
    HarmoniousExpression Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura, feel free to add me. I recently made the decision of vegan lifestyle. I am about 3 weeks new. I been on/off vegetarian for the past 3-4 years before this. I am also learning what works for me. I currently have mine set as 80% Carbs 10% Fat 10% Protein and it's going well. Although for me it's a process of breaking down mental blockages from a lifetime of dos and don't of eating. Say starches make you fat, and sugars turn to fat. Which as a vegetarian was the hardest for me to not allow what worked for others rule MY healthy eating. Now that I am Vegan, I am experimenting what works for me. My meals aren't complex. Lots of simple raws, and simple cooked meals. :)
    Joined the groups above as well. Thank you.
  • catelee_03
    catelee_03 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura, you can add me! I am new to mfp, but have been vegan for 3 years. Its nice to have people to help when you just start out!
  • Bpierce03
    Bpierce03 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura, I recently decided to go vegan for ethical reasons. You can add me! :smile: I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube to find vegan recipes. The Vegan Zombie on youtube is hilarious and has some great ideas. And there are others too. I also use pinterest to find ideas.
  • Suzi_Pants
    Suzi_Pants Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been vegan for about 3-ish years now, vegetarian for around 7!

Feel free to add me! Getting back on the bandwagon after a CRAZY couple months (eloping, husband has military orders to the UK, having to quit my job, etc.) have put me solidly back at square one.

I'm always down for more friends :)

Just starting out doing a 50 day running challenge and simply trying to eat cleanly while doing so at the moment and seeing where that takes me- ultimate goal is to lose 30lbs by my 30th birthday .