No weight loss!

Options
This is my 5th week now, I excercise every day, I do on average 18,000 steps a day, I lost 2lb in my first two weeks but haven't lost a pound since, but my shape has changed, is this usual?

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    In my experience, no. I set MFP to lose 1lb/week and I have lost 1lb/week every single week. Do you feel your log is accurate?
  • anitahankey
    anitahankey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1,200 calories a day I always have about 1000, never ever go over, I'm 9st 13 and just want to be around 9st 2, I don't have a lot to lose but it's happening very slowly
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all (and I mean all) your food with a food scale?

You are likely eating more than you think. If you were truly eating only 1000 calories, you would be losing weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    This is my 5th week now, I excercise every day, I do on average 18,000 steps a day, I lost 2lb in my first two weeks but haven't lost a pound since, but my shape has changed, is this usual?
    My goal is 1,200 calories a day I always have about 1000, never ever go over, I'm 9st 13 and just want to be around 9st 2, I don't have a lot to lose but it's happening very slowly

Check your logging accuracy. Get a food scale and use it for solid foods. Measure liquids.Make sure you are logging everything you eat and drink.and choosing correct entries.
    It is not normal to eat 1000 calories and walk 18,000 steps a day and lose nothing for weeks. If you really are thengo see a doctor.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    As you only joined MFP on 28th April, have you been logging food & exercise elsewhere when you lost the 2lbs.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    When you don't have a lot to lose it is slower but its doable, I started off heavier than you at 154 and maintain my goal range of 128lb-133lbs easily. I'm 5ft 2, very active and if I want to lose can eat 1800 cals gross to lose 1/2lb a week.

1000 calories is too little for one thing.

You need to check how accurate you are at logging as you are eating more than 1000 calories, its so easy to eat more than we think we are.

Also you have to check you are using the correct entries in the database - this also widely varies.

A food scale is a must. (They're cheap to buy, less than £10)
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    If your exercising every day, staying within your calorie limit and your body looks different.... your adding muscle. Lighten up (no pun intended) on the numbers and concentrate on measurements.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If your exercising every day, staying within your calorie limit and your body looks different.... your adding muscle. Lighten up (no pun intended) on the numbers and concentrate on measurements.

^^ we don't gain muscle easily especially as women. I do agree with measurements though, they can be changing for the better so the scale isn't the only way to guage progress.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

not likely...esp with probably just walking.

to the OP if the exercise is new it is possible you are retaining water/glycogren.

If not then you are probably eating more than you think.

and I agree if you are logging 1k but not losing there is an issue there...1k calories is too little for proper nutrition on a good day.
  • anitahankey
    Options
    I weighed myself on my own scales and then on the scales at boots and there's 3lb diff, I'm not weighing myself for the next couple of weeks I'm just going to go off how I feel and look, keep logging and excercising, I have severe asthma and can't run so I brisk walk for 50 minutes and I def look diff, so I'm going with that x
  • BrandiParsonRNC
    BrandiParsonRNC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If u have started a new excercise routine, your muscles tend to hang onto water weight for 2-3 weeks as well and then will release once it is used to the new routine. Also, if u are changing in inches, most likely your muscle mass has increased and fat has decreased. If you could find a scale that measures those individually, it would be helpful. The numbers do change it is just a matter of your body getting into that position (if u are doing what u are suppose to that is).. Good luck!
  • daterxies
    daterxies Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself on my own scales and then on the scales at boots and there's 3lb diff, I'm not weighing myself for the next couple of weeks I'm just going to go off how I feel and look, keep logging and excercising, I have severe asthma and can't run so I brisk walk for 50 minutes and I def look diff, so I'm going with that x

Sorry if I missed it but I didn't see you say your weighing your food with a food scale. It's very hard to portion out if you don't have a scale and your lying to yourself if you eyeball your portions.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

The question is not if you weigh yourself but if you weigh all solid food you put in your mouth. If not you do not know if your truly eating 1000 calories and im going to say you are eating more than that or you would be losing weight on 1000 calories which also happens to be too little and not healthy(if you were truly eating 1000).
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Did you maybe have clothes on in boots and less clothes on at home ?
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Literally the same thing happened to me. I was logging religiously and usually under my calorie goal. I wasn't losing weight, but the SO swore up and down that my shape was changing. Suddenly in about two weeks I was down 7lbs. Our theory is twofold- 1) I was DEFINITELY not drinking enough water, so my body seemed to be clinging to whatever it could get (yay water weight) and 2) I may have been putting on muscle mass faster than I was losing fat mass (I wasn't "fat", but I was definitely very weak). I did clean up my diet a little bit, but given that CICO is the most important thing, I can't say that changing my macros was the thing that did it. I've given up the scale- I weigh and take measurements once a month to cancel out the "noise", as I'm usually 5-6lbs heavier at the end of 5 days of lifting than I was on Monday (yay water retention). I focus on how I look and feel and how my clothes fit and I'm generally a LOT happier.
  • anitahankey
    Options
    Thanks for that LP yeah I know I don't drink enough water, and maybe don't eat enough as I often feel weak, but I most def look diff, I scan everything I eat even down to a single biscuit! and my clothes are looser but I only weigh 2lb less than when I started, I'm just gonna carry on as I am
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Scanning everything is not even close to the same as weighing it. Packaged foods are rarely the weights they claim to be, and the difference is pretty much always in one direction. Something that says it's 100 grams is often 120 or more. You need to get a good scale and weigh everything. Everything.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you're not weighing, you don't actually know how much you're eating. is everything you eat a single serving, no less and no more? that would be highly unlikely, as almost every pre-packaged food i eat has more or less weight per serving - bread slices are often up to 20% off of a single serving.

btw, how careful are you when you first choose an entry in the database for each food? do you check to make sure that the entry you use is correct? if not, you could be eating more or less calories than you think - many entries here are wrong, some a little and some quite a bit.