Vacation-

Options
Garae
Garae Posts: 116 Member
I'm leaving for a week long cruise (YAY!) this weekend, but I'm terrified that I'm not going to have my normal foods with me. Any advice? I'll be sailing to the Virgin Islands =]

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My advice is to have a wonderful time, don't go too crazy with the free food, work in exercise when you can, and get back to your normal routine when you get back. You'll probably gain a few pounds, but if you get back to your healthy routine when you return it will come back off quickly enough.
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    My advice is to have a wonderful time, don't go too crazy with the free food, work in exercise when you can, and get back to your normal routine when you get back. You'll probably gain a few pounds, but if you get back to your healthy routine when you return it will come back off quickly enough.

Good advice. No point in going on vacation if you won't enjoy it.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I went on a cruise to Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel last Sept. Their portion sizes are just right if you eat in the dining rooms but if you serve yourself eat in moderation, oh and the best part is they have a gym on board to workout. Enjoy!
  • Sierraislegit
    Options
    Cruises have so many food choices. Just make sure not to make the wrong ones. If you see fruits, eat the fruit. But remember, it's a vacation. Experiment with foods you wouldn't normally have. If you think you've over eaten, or if you feel bad about something you ate, then you know that when you have stops, you'll be walking a ton. If you feel like you need extra exercise, there are most likely gyms on the boat. (: I'm basing everything on Royal Carribean, though. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do great!
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    that's exactly what I do when I go on vacation. Still make some good choices, not a reason to eat fries and pies, but keep an eye on the booze. High calories there.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, cruises are known for having people gain 5-10lbs because of all the delicious foods on board, lol! But if you stay committed to your diet and whatnot, ou diet can be accomplished :)
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving on a cruise Thursday and feel the same way :( If I can stay away from those desserts and daiquiris, I think I'll be OK...but it's gonna be hard!!!
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Cruises have so many food choices. Just make sure not to make the wrong ones. If you see fruits, eat the fruit. But remember, it's a vacation. Experiment with foods you wouldn't normally have. If you think you've over eaten, or if you feel bad about something you ate, then you know that when you have stops, you'll be walking a ton. If you feel like you need extra exercise, there are most likely gyms on the boat. (: I'm basing everything on Royal Carribean, though. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do great!

I'm going on royal carribean! I'm looking up workout classes available on the ship now haha. I'm just nervous because in situations like these I have a hard time controlling myself :0
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise in December and gained 1.5 pounds...I took that as a win. I ate fairly healthy breakfasts of yogurt and fruit most mornings, lunch was different everyday, depending if we were in a port (not always healthy) and dinner was in the dinning rooms and were fairly healthy although I did enjoy the breads which were different each night and the desserts every night. I did make a point of going to the fitness center several times and we did a zip line excursion that was a work out. I ate and drank more than normal, was back in the gym the day I got back, weighed myself the next day and only gained 1.5 pounds and that came right back off. Good Luck, you can have the best of both worlds :)
  • harderfasterstr0nger
    Options

Good advice. I am going on one in August... Since I am GF that cuts out a ton of choices but I was planning on drinking on shore... Straight tequila for me I guess :D
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love to drink beer and get loose on vacation. What the heck how often do we get to go on vacation. At most 30 days a year for some and half that or less for most working folks. Drinking generally creates hunger so like i said you can't do a whole lot of damage in a week that you can't fix in a week or so after your return. Have fun and don't worry. That's the whole point of vacation anyways. Have a blast!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    So much wonderful advise! I'm going away just for the weekend, but all this good advise will help me as well.
    I hope you have a wonderful time and come back to all your MFPs rested, refreshed and ready to go.
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I personally say eat what you want, workout when you want and enjoy it! :)

life isnt about always obessing over food and worrying. Counting calories on Holiday? forget it :)

and then when you get back work your *kitten* off for a week or so and you'll be fine.

Ps very jeolous :)