Pineapple

Options
I heard pineapple helps weight loss, I know fruit is obviously good for you but apparently it helps a little more, is this true, does anybody eat it much? Thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing besides sustained calorie deficit creates weight loss.

I'm eating pineapple now, it's lovely and refreshing.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Sweet mother of all that is holy; I LOVE pineapple (fresh, not the canned crap)!!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    No, pineapples are not magic. They don't make you lose weight. Calorie deficit makes you lose weight.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    A deficit in calories results in weight loss. You can eat whatever you want, provided you remain in a deficit.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Pineapple is awesome...but it doesn't help you lose weight. It has calories like all other foods.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Bromelain is an enzyme in pineapple that some believe can help breakdown proteins for digestion (like when you add it to ham, or how you can't use fresh in jello molds because this enzyme will break down the gel). Now, there is no definitive study to say it will absolutely cause weight loss but it does do this, so you could theorize that it could help break down foods for digestion. It also contains a good punch of B vitamins, which help convert food into energy, and an okay amount of fiber for the calorie content if you eat it fresh, as well as a good water content, which helps maintain satiety with a lower calorie impact, which is a considerable benefit for weightloss.

There are mixed results demonstrated in a variety of studies for a number of health benefits, but there is at least some support for the suggestion of eating pineapple amply or taking bromelain supplements if you suffer from arthritis or are experiencing DOMS, because some studies have shown that it can help certain systemic pain situations... So I guess in that sense, it could help weight loss, because it would potentially reduce downtime due to soreness.

The study of bromelain on fat cells is under research, mostly because it has shown promise for things like IBS and digestive issues, inflammation, and other things. Relying on it for a fat breakdown isn't going to be your best bet, but there are a lot of good reasons to include it as a staple in your diet if you enjoy it.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think it's magical because it satisfies my sweet tooth especially mixed into plain yogurt with a little wildflower honey. I dunno about any other claims of magic.

I weigh and log it just like any other food.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    its magical in the sense when ripe its a heavenly food especially while sitting on the beach.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    True, it is magical in that it is delicious like a big, juicy, yellow candy.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I order some ridiculously expensive Maui Gold pineapples from the Island. Worth every penny and then some. Magical candy indeed.

It helps me lose weight because who needs cake when you can eat these gorgeous things!!!
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like it best bbq'ed. Yumm!!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Pineapple is not a magic weight loss aid. I have found it to be helpful with my arthritis pain.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Pineapple is not a magic weight loss aid. I have found it to be helpful with my arthritis pain.

I've heard it helps with arthritic pain. My son likes to eat fresh, whole pineapples. I need to start eating them more. I just don't care for them much, even though they taste really good.