10K training advice

Options
Hi All,

I was just looking for some advice for training for a 10K race, mine is in 10 weeks time! I haven't really been focusing on a training plan, I have just been getting on the treadmill as much as I have time for (3 times a week usually), and doing a mixture of running and walking, but not really counting how long.
I'm physically fit (but not a runner), and I'm not overweight, I'm 172cm and 138lbs. I can walk for hours literally, but I find I either get bored, or easily fatigued with running. I have ran a 5K before, so this was a new challenge.

Has anyone got any advice on a training plan? Ways to improve my stamina? Should I be thinking about my diet? I don't really use this much any more as I'm not really looking to lose weight, but I regularly read the advice.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there is always b210k
    but you might consider the asics programs. they are free to print off. you can tell it your goal and it develops a training program.

diet is important as you want to make sure you have the fuel to run.

boredom: i listen to music/podcasts/audiobooks. or when i am on the treadmill, i watch netflix
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I second the music/podcasts/audiobooks.
    Could you find a running group to join? I find running with a partner helps my boredom and motivation. (I only run with a partner once a week - solo runs for the other 3 runs.)
    Some running plans - Hal Higdon, Runners World, Coach Jenny Hadfield, Jeff Galloway
    ^Don't try to reinvent the wheel!

Diet is important for distance runners but (I'm not a doctor!) 6 miles isn't enough to completely change your diet. Watch how you feel while running and after running the longer runs and eat accordingly.

You can do it!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Specificity......if you're going to running a 10K (I'm assuming your goal is to finish rather than aiming for a specific time) get running outdoors at least once or twice per week in addition to your treadmill runs. It's different.....

Training plan..... Hal Higdon comes to mind, they're free and he's very well respected in the running community.
  • catherine_1985
    catherine_1985 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments, I really appreciate your input! I'm worried about running out of time. My work schedule is all over the place, there will be weeks were I'm either at work or asleep! I just want to finish, and run for almost all of it, those are my goals!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/explore/training-plan

There are four free training plans to run a 10k: two use an HRM and two don't.

Second BrianSharpe's advice to run outdoors at least once a week.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Asics do a good app called 'run' which you can use to develop a plan tailored to your ability, your goal & your training frequency.
  • princetonmayberry
    princetonmayberry Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    checkout nike fuel app
  • catherine_1985
    catherine_1985 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Massive thanks to you all!
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running and outdoor running are too completely different beasts.