Diastasis Recti Questions

Options
How can I really know if I have Diastasis Recti or not? I've had 4 babies and I know shortly after my 3rd baby I had a pretty wide gap but then now that I've been back to losing weight and working out I was doing what I remember being told on how to check for it and it seems that there is almost no gap at all. I did work out at the gym with a trainer before I found out I was pregnant with my 4th all the way until I delivered then right after so could it be that it healed during that time? How can I check in case I'm doing it wrong?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's different where I live, but the GYN/OB usually checks your stomach muscles to see if they have come back together or if there is a gap at the 6 week check up. I've had 3 kids and if I would've had diastasis rectic, the doctor would have told me then and given me specific exercises to do and let me know which ones not to do.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    there are women on youtube who tell you how to check for it,you can always look online and it tells you how to check.my GYN/OB never did check me for that. I have given birth to 2 kids.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article from Breaking Muscle on diastasis recti. They also have a good exercise series on how to rebuild if you do have it: http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/12-weeks-of-workouts-to-rebuild-after-diastasis-recti
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Here is a good article from Breaking Muscle on diastasis recti. They also have a good exercise series on how to rebuild if you do have it: http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/12-weeks-of-workouts-to-rebuild-after-diastasis-recti

Lots of good info in this article. Thanks for posting:-)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Maybe it's different where I live, but the GYN/OB usually checks your stomach muscles to see if they have come back together or if there is a gap at the 6 week check up. I've had 3 kids and if I would've had diastasis rectic, the doctor would have told me then and given me specific exercises to do and let me know which ones not to do.

That is definitely not commonly done here!

Op....to check, lay on the floor with you knees bent and feet flat on the floor about shoulder width apart. Lift your head and shoulders (lie you would to do a crunch), and push 1-2 fingers directly above your belly button. Repeat directly below your belly button. Anything wider than 1 figers width is considered problamatic.

Yes, you could have closed your DR prior to this pregnancy...which is great news because that means you can likely close it again!
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!!