Running/ jogging

Hello I would like to start running or jogging to jump start my weight loss. I currently weigh around 290 lbs. I stand 5 feet 2 inches tall. What's the difference in the two(running and jogging)? Also I heard that this can be bad for your knees. Is this true? Can anyone who runs or jog help me out with this? Any feedback is appreciated....thanks!

Replies

• caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    I'm a beginning runner, and I'm doing the couch to 5k program. My 'run' is most definitely very slow, but I'm up and moving! Running/jogging are high impact definitely have an effect on your knees!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Pick a beginner program and start slowly. Most begginner programs have you jog for 20-30seconds then walk 2minutes, then repeat at the beginning. Take it easy and slow.

Jogging is just a slow run. :)
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    People who get really technical about it say that running is faster than jogging, but most runners I know call both running.

Get fitted for proper shoes and a good sports bra, then start out slow. So slow that you think people will laugh -- the goal is to get out there several days a week and build up your stamina and strength, without injuring yourself. Alternate running with walking if you can't run steadily -- my coach run/walks marathons and there's nothing wrong with it. Speed will come with time.

Your local running store may have free clinics on form, stretching, and using a foam roller. Check their website, or ask when you get fitted for shoes. (Seriously, don't get shoes at the big sporting goods store. You won't get put into the right shoe for you. Your local running store will take the time to get you the right thing.)

If you have bad form, bad shoes, or your muscles are imbalanced, you can get some knee pain. My husband and I both had knee pain when we started running. Mine was solved by strength training (squatting heavy with free weights) and using a foam roller, his was solved by correcting his form and the foam roller. Since then we've both run a half marathon with no knee pain at all -- it's definitely solvable.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    There is no difference. Jogging is running.

There is a doctor who comes to talk to the learn to run group I help coach every years. He says being overweight is way worse on your knees.

Check out a coach to 5k program.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    There is no difference. Jogging is running.

There is a doctor who comes to talk to the learn to run group I help coach every years. He says being overweight is way worse on your knees.

Check out a coach to 5k program.

Awwwww, you beat me to it! :)

OP, ask any orthopedic surgeon (I know several); nothing is harder on your knees than extra weight.
  • tarboro84
    tarboro84 Posts: 26 Member
    Thank you guys! ❤
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What is your current fitness level & strength? I suggest that you be able to walk 3-5 miles quickly without rest before trying c25k or another running program, given your current weight. Injury is real and you want to be able to walk the rest of your life. Too many people push too hard too fast & end up with permanent injuries.
  • action_man
    action_man Posts: 21 Member
    Reiterating what's already been said: don't get hung up on jogging/running, call it whatever you want. If you're moving faster than walking no sane person is going to look at you sideways for calling it running.
    Running's not bad for your knees. Its like anything else, don't overdo it. Be sure to go to a running store and get fitted. Running is a simple sport, the barrier to entry is a pair of good shoes. Expect to spend $75-$120.
    And just start where you feel comfortable, walking breaks aren't failures. Heck start with just walking a bunch if that feels appropriate. I know plenty of people that power walk marathons, its a thing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I was about 235 when I started "running" (more like a slow shuffle at first).

I'll second the advice to invest in decent pair of shoes fitted by someone who knows what they're doing (if you can, go to a running specialty shop during the week when it's more likely you'll be dealing with full time, experienced staff)

I'll also second the advice about walking too......depending on your current level of fitness you may just want to walk at first. Once you can comfortably walk 3 to 5 miles start adding short, slow running intervals of a minute or so interspersed with walking breaks. Gradually increase the length of your running intervals and before you know it you'll be an injury free runner.

When I started I could barely get around the block without gasping for air, now I run half marathons & Olympic distance duathlons (I like biking too) - you'll amaze yourself with what you can accomplish.
  • tarboro84
    tarboro84 Posts: 26 Member
    Great feedback. Its truly appreciated!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    edited May 2016
    I found that running actually helped my knees feel better (I had intermittent pain from surgery years ago) the key is a slow build up to allow your joints to adapt.

The only difference that I know of between running and jogging is that joggers jog in place at red lights and runners stop and use the opportunity to rest.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    tarboro84 wrote: »
    Great feedback. Its truly appreciated!

You're getting out there and getting moving...that's the most important thing you can do!