Hello - this needs to get serious!

Options
Hi, I am 55 years old and about 7 stone overweight. I have tried every diet in the book. My biggest problem is that I have been dieting on and off since the age of 12 and have developed some very bad habits and a bad relationship with food! (well, actually I love food but I think you understand what I mean) I realised a few days ago that I have this 'last supper' mentality........ every day I think I will diet tomorrow, so I eat for England because I am going on a diet tomorrow - but tomorrow never comes! Now I am struggling to walk and my poor body will give out on me early if I don't get serious about healthy eating. So here goes!

Replies

• RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I am just the same. I naturally eat like it is my last ever opportunity to eat and there is no tomorrow. It lead me to starting the year at 23 stone 8lb. I am down to 21 stone 5lb but it has been a very up and down path and am still a very long way to go. At age 35 I can not keep up with people in 70's in local walking group. I need a stick to stabilize myself and have pain every day made worse by weight. I am using this site, weight watchers and health walks to gradually change my ways.
  • Prov31Wife1981
    Prov31Wife1981 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In the same boat. About to be 52 years old. Have tried almost every diet out there. Lost weight on all of them only to quit and gain it back. The last time I kept it up for a year and then for no apparent reason I stopped. Both my daughters are expecting in July. Two weeks apart. I need to be able to keep up with these new grandchildren not to mention getting healthy for myself. I'm going into this as a life style not a diet.
    Would love to be friends with you on this journey.
  • Eliziboo
    Eliziboo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I understand! I was so desperate to loose weight I started every diet and fad out there. They land me in hospital with liver failure. It's sucked. I've had to fight my way back. Dieting doesn't work, life change does. It's a mindset. If you decide today is the day, then today is the day. I'll help you if you want. Message me. I've lost close to 80 pounds in the last 8 months. I'd be happy to share what I'm doing with you.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you set out to diet, you set out to fail. Take it from a guy who spent much of his teens and twenties in the mid- to upper-200lb range, yo-yoing between ridiculously restrictive eating and all-out binges. If you look at it as a "diet", it'll set you up for failure every time, and for two reasons: a) a diet suggests that there's an end goal, ie. "I lost 20/50/100lbs, now I can go back to 'eating normally'." This never works, and most people end up bouncing from diet to diet, ending each one as badly off, if not worse than when they started. b) It has a sense of finality to it - you're essentially telling yourself that you're breaking up with food, but that nagging part of you doesn't want the relationship to end, and is fighting back. My diary is totally open, if you want to take a look at it. There's no reason you can't enjoy food (including things you like, ie. ice cream, chips, etc.) on the regular, as long as you keep your overall lifestyle in check. I've lost over 100lbs, and never felt as though I was denying myself anything. Feel free to FR me.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as dieting. Just start weighing and measuring all that you eat and tracking it on your food diary. You will soon see how much you need to cut back and go from there. Good luck!
  • luicaralex
    luicaralex Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have at least 50 pounds to lose. I am trying to stay in my calorie intake but I can't seem to give up the carrots cake.