1/2 ironman training plan?

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am currently in taper for Ironman Texas which is next Saturday. I tend to train all year and always have a goal race upcoming to target.

My typical week looks something like this:
    Monday: Swim 1hr (4000 yards or so)
    Tuesday: 1.5hr Endurance bike ride (200 watts or so average), 1 hr run (8-8.5 miles)
    Wednesday: 1.5hr "quality" run (intervals of some kind), plus easy recovery bike
    Thursday: 1.5hr "quality" bike (long Sub LT or LT intervals), plus a transition run
    Friday: Yoga and 1 hr swim
    Saturday: Long Bike
    Sunday: Long Run plus easy recovery swim

Long bike can be anywhere between 3 and 5 hours
    Long run is anywhere between 13 and 22 miles. This alternates between an even pace session and a cut-down run that brings the pace well into half marathon range at the end.

Those sessions are dictated where in the training I am. Closer to race day that long run is 22 miles

Some weeks I have "rest weeks" where all those same sessions happen as usual but are all shorter or easier. Near the end of the build blocks I can be closing in on 20hrs total time.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    what do you use to calculate the calories you burn for the bike? I biked for 31 miles and it took me 1:59:49. cycle meter said that I burned 1512 cals but that seems high to me. Do you use your app to estimate or do you use something else?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use HR formula based on VO2max test.
    Compared with watts to calorie conversion from SportTracks plug-in doing this with my body/bike stats:

http://www.bikecalculator.com/

750 cal/hr for 15 mph avg could be right, if you were hauling a lot of mass up hills, or lots of wind. Sounds just a tad high though.
    I got 787/hr doing 17 mph on city route starts/stops, hauling 185 lbs plus bike up inclines and wind.

But 15 mph about the speed that wind resistance actually starts kicking in to start becoming a major factor.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    For a more accurate figure I use my HRM, on Friday I just used my tomtom GPS watch which doesn't measure from HR, just a mets table I guess. From experience I know it's usually about 15% over compared to my HRM. It said for 31M in 1hr57 I did 1246 calories. I weigh 123lb, ride a lightweight carbon bike and this was one of the flatter local rides (but with lots of stop start traffic jams in places).
  • glevinso
    Options
    what do you use to calculate the calories you burn for the bike? I biked for 31 miles and it took me 1:59:49. cycle meter said that I burned 1512 cals but that seems high to me. Do you use your app to estimate or do you use something else?

I ride with a power meter, so the calorie burns it gives me are about as accurate as possible. For most people, though, a heart rate monitor would provide a sufficient estimate. The guesses you get from MET tables are not going to be all that good.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I am 4 weeks out from an Olympic race on June 4, with 15 weeks remaining to my A race, a 70.3 on Aug 21st.

I"m following the Fitzgerald sixteen week 70.3 plan, which prescribes Tues/Thurs/Sat as bike days and Wed/Fri/Sun as Swim&Run days. Last week was week one. I supplemented the early weeks' volume a bit, since I'd want to do well in the Oly race in 4 weeks and its a hilly course.

So last week's workouts were as follows: Tues: strength session w/trainer(am) , Trainerroad bike workout 60 min (pm). Wed: 1000 yd swim (am), 4 mile run (pm). Thurs: Trainerroad bike workout (60 min) Friday: 1200 swim am, missed the run session. Sat: Open water swim of 1.1mile (in 53 degree water, brrr) , followed by 26 mile hilly bike ride. We test rode the Olympic bike course. Sun: 1000 swim (am) 6 mile run (pm).

• glevinso
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I use HR formula based on VO2max test.
    Compared with watts to calorie conversion from SportTracks plug-in doing this with my body/bike stats:

http://www.bikecalculator.com/

750 cal/hr for 15 mph avg could be right, if you were hauling a lot of mass up hills, or lots of wind. Sounds just a tad high though.
    I got 787/hr doing 17 mph on city route starts/stops, hauling 185 lbs plus bike up inclines and wind.

But 15 mph about the speed that wind resistance actually starts kicking in to start becoming a major factor.

750cal/hr equates to a power output of 208 watts for that hour. That is a fairly significant amount of power for someone to put down, especially someone who is just starting out.

For reference, I am 5'7", 145lbs, and I race an Ironman at about 200-210 watts which puts me at around 22-23mph.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    glevinso - I am probably burning more like 1000 calories instead of 1500?
  • glevinso
    Options
    glevinso - I am probably burning more like 1000 calories instead of 1500?

That's probably a more reasonable number. 1500 in 2 hours is quite difficult for most people to achieve.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I agree that 1500 isn't correct. Another example today I biked 20 miles and it took me around 1 hour and 15 minutes. My app said that was 1000 cals. I know that isn't correct.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    By the way while I was riding today I got caught in the rain. My shoes (which are also my running shoes are drinched. I went online and my wife who was a runner also told me to put newspaper in my shoes to help them dry faster. I don't have any old newspaper so I am going with the old running shoes tomorrow. I have not purchased a 2nd pair of shoes yet to rotate so I figure the old broken in shoes will be alright for one day of jogging 5/6 miles. I have also read to put them in the dryer but I have done that with other shoes and to me they never feel the same after that. So I will play the wait game I guess.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ya - what's this newspaper thing you speak of?

How about using pages from the telephone book?

I mean - what's that?

Low heat not so bad so the glue doesn't give - but then you might as well air dry in front of fan.

And you'll want to check in to getting some proper clip-in shoes (called clipless for ancient reasons that don't apply anymore) for better power transfer.

So actually, you are wasting a bit of energy in the mechanics of turning the pedal.

Do you have HRM?
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I have a fitbit which keeps my heart rate while I run and bike but not when I swim. I know I have to get new shoes for the bike. Does the type of shoe really matter for a someone like me? My wife said and I also read that if you put newspaper in your shoes it soaks up the water. Do it a couple of times and the next day your shoes will be dry. My shoes are still wet today. Hopefully they will be better tomorrow. If not my old pair did just fine this morning.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Definitely invest in clipless shoes and pedals for half-iron distance, you'll feel the benefit in efficiency/power and also getting them properly set up can help prevent injury by ensuring correct alignment of your feet/ankles/knees etc. Have a read up on the pros and cons of different clip systems and make sure the pedals, cleats & shoes you buy are all compatible. Some shoes have the cleats recessed into the sole so they're easier to walk/run in transition & for general walking around a bit without damaging the cleats.

There's also lots of different fastening systems for doing up the shoes. We have Tri220 magazine over here which does great kit reviews, maybe you have it there too? You could do worse than buy a few issues between now and race day. There's loads of interesting articles, training & nutrition advice etc.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/pearl-izumi-mens-tri-fly-v-cycling-shoes-8125773/?color=9325

any thoughts on these shoes?

Pearl Izumi Men's Tri Fly V Cycling Shoes
  • heybales
    Options
    You will want to try them on, for sure.
    And standard advice - after a long day when feet are swollen.
    While a whole bunch of other technical gear I've always gotten mail order for price - shoes just don't cut it. Spend the money on decent ones.
    Now - the pedals and cleats I'd still get online if I did the research myself already, and merely went into store saying I need shoes compatible with xyz pedal system.
    Most shoes (except the inset clips mentioned) are compatible with most cleat systems, just need 3 screw holes, or 2, for convertors to work if needed.

The width being too narrow will kill your nerves and give you hot spots and numb toes/parts like you might never have experienced before.
    The strapping on system is highly personal too, strap could hit you in bony area on top of foot and hurt just standing there, never mind trying to ride with them.
    I've had Shimano's with top ratcheting system that worked fine, but I like my current Pearl's with 3 velcro straps to loosen/tighten as ride goes on or temps change, and they all hit in the right spot.
    Prior 2 strap system hit in terrible spot. Prior 3 strap system was good there - but too narrow.
    Take the insole out and stand on it for clue on width and foot overhang.

Ditto's to noticing the difference.
    Right now with flimsy sole, if you did long and/or hard bike ride, and then tried to run - you may feel something in your arch that doesn't feel good at all - and wouldn't be with repeated workouts.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    Currently I am using my cell phone on my bike to track distance, speed, avg speed, gps... Is it worth my time to by an inexpensive computer? What are your thoughts?
  • heybales
    Options
    Cadence can be mighty useful - and a simple bike computer with the basics, your phone provides the GPS - can be had for about 20 bucks to provide distance and cadence - and then the averages post workout to compare later.

I like the ones that display a few items at once, and rotate between the screens.

Not everyone has trouble keeping a good cadence though. I just know when I get tired, that starts to drop. And lower cadence and pushing harder when tired just make it worse faster.
    Kind of like running when tired and form starts breaking down, makes you more inefficient, wastes more energy, and goes downhill faster. Not such an easy visual reminder for running though, so I'll take the cadence on the bike for the same purpose, and then just pay attention to the form.

I haven't kept up on them for ages though. Had my favorite ages ago prior to Garmin, and though it had been discontinued, when I saw a relabeled other brand, bought backup cheap. Now if Garmin dies and not able to get another for awhile - I got something to use.

Not sure if you can load your GPS route up to whatever app is logging it, to a nice place for comparing workouts and stats. Strava can be nice, but not great ability to correct stats if needed. SportTracks has computer based and cloud version of their tracking stuff.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Currently I am using my cell phone on my bike to track distance, speed, avg speed, gps... Is it worth my time to by an inexpensive computer? What are your thoughts?

not really necessary. i know a lot of people that have done a number or races without any computers other than their cell phones.