SKIN SUCCESS stories- for WOMEN OVER 55 ONLY, please!

Options

Replies

• emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @kathygk56: What kind of exercise are you doing for your arms? I'm 58, and have been yo-yo dieting for most of my life. At my highest, I was nearly 275 lbs. I lost over 100 lbs long ago and regained it--I'm sure many of you could sing this song. I'm now at 183. My doctor says another 20 pounds would be good, as that takes me from 'obese' to merely 'overweight'.

I've resigned myself to living with skin folds on my stomach and saggy thighs, but if I could improve the upper arms, that would make me happy.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm 66 years old, 5'2.5" and down 51 - 52lbs. after yo-yo dieting for many years. At a healthy weight range since February 2015. Currently maintaining at 126 - 127 lbs. It took me 15 months to lose the weight. Since I lifted weights almost from the beginning of my loss I practically have no loose skin. Some cottage cheese around my midriff probably from normal aging along with the usual wrinkles and gravity moving everything toward earth. Sadly, there's no going back to that 20 year old tight skin.

From everything that I've read, the amount of loose skin you will have is determined by age, amount of loss/speed of loss, and genetics. There isn't really anything you can do short of surgery. No magic potions or treatments work except to lighten your wallet.

Spanx is my best friend.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    I'm 66 years old, 5'2.5" and down 51 - 52lbs. after yo-yo dieting for many years. At a healthy weight range since February 2015. Currently maintaining at 126 - 127 lbs. It took me 15 months to lose the weight. Since I lifted weights almost from the beginning of my loss I practically have no loose skin. Some cottage cheese around my midriff probably from normal aging along with the usual wrinkles and gravity moving everything toward earth. Sadly, there's no going back to that 20 year old tight skin.

From everything that I've read, the amount of loose skin you will have is determined by age, amount of loss/speed of loss, and genetics. There isn't really anything you can do short of surgery. No magic potions or treatments work except to lighten your wallet.

Spanx is my best friend.

Thanks, Trina & to others for input. Do you have before/after pics? I want to start a weight lifting program but am extremely confused by it all. What did you use? I know we're not 20 any more, however the extra fat on my face plumping up the wrinkles (plus great genetics) has always made me look younger- I'm not ready to let go of that.
  • FeistyGirl007
    FeistyGirl007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I will be 55 tomorrow and not a mom. : ( So, its really a very hard day for me... ) I need to lose at least 75 lbs. In the past, I have used neoprene, wrap around plastic, etc.. in my tummy areas, etc... and it always worked to melt off any skin fat, BEFORE it became loose, from losing weight. ( In past 30 years, I have successfully, taken off 25 lbs off within 1 month, kept it off for like 10 years...Did it again thrice... ) Now, I am sick from being poisoned by several toxins, pesticides, heavy metals, etc...making it really difficult to take the weight off THIS time... But, I need to try it again...I am going to buy these latex, neoprene sleeves, for my arms and thighs, as well, as my stomach, to melt the fat, as I lose..My skin is ALREADY LOOSE... : ( And, YES, THEY DO WORK. You just HAVE to be patient. The loose skin, will eventually go away...Yes, genetics helps. YES, EATING ONLY ORGANIC REALLY, REALLY HELPS!!! Yes, weight training helps a LOT! Yes, going slow, helps, too... Is there anyone out there, who has 75 or more lbs to lose, who would like to SKYPE with me, to swap tips, check in, etc... ??? ( Skype is faster, than constantly typing, although, this is great... ) We could test out different methods to keep our skin tight, as we motivate each other and help each other... : ) Thanks and good luck, everybody!!
  • FeistyGirl007
    FeistyGirl007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    P.S. I just wanted to add, if you have already lost all of your weight and want to try to tighten up, using my " method" , you are more than welcome, to join me!! We must do the exact same things, to get rid of the loose skin... ( Whether you are just starting or, are finishing... ) The process is exactly the same to get rid of and keep off, the extra loose skin... ( Yes, it is 100 times easier, obviously, when you are younger and your youthful skin just bounces back... ) HOWEVER... unless you have lost, like 500 lbs...Its not impossible... I have seen it work! :smile: )
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »

Spanx is my best friend.

Thanks, Trina & to others for input. Do you have before/after pics? I want to start a weight lifting program but am extremely confused by it all. What did you use? I know we're not 20 any more, however the extra fat on my face plumping up the wrinkles (plus great genetics) has always made me look younger- I'm not ready to let go of that.

Hi, sorry no pictures. I joined a gym when I first stared losing weight which has Les Mills Body Pump classes and loved them. I lift as heavy as I can -- it's not like a regular weight lifting routine, etc. but it works for me. First, I began with just the bar then progressively added weights once my form was good. Body Pump works on 8, 12, 16 reps quickly and it's a full body workout lasting 55 minutes. I lift 3x's per week + 3 hours of cardio per week and walk.

You don't need a gym to start though. There's tons of free videos on the internet and several good beginning programs like "New Rules of Lifting for Women." Here's a link for info about the program. The weight lifting really changed my body composition and tightened everything up.

thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

Here's one for Les Mills Body Pump. I think that there's Body Pump classes offered at many gyms.

lesmills.com/us/workouts/fitness-classes/bodypump/
  • kathygk56
    kathygk56 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @emilycat214 I mainly do (modified) push-ups, which help, but I think working with weights and some triceps specific exercise would be even better.
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    kathygk56 wrote: »
    @emilycat214 I mainly do (modified) push-ups, which help, but I think working with weights and some triceps specific exercise would be even better.

Thanks! Today at the gym I did some triceps pushdowns on one of the machines. I'll give that a try for a while.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    So for not getting back to OP.

I am not on hormone replacement therapy. I am not officially at menopause as I have not gone 12 months without a cycle yet. Bizarre at my age but runs in the family.

I am not using weights. I am in yoga twice a week and paddle lots in spring/summer.

My belly is the area I need to shrink the most.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    So for not getting back to OP.

I am not on hormone replacement therapy. I am not officially at menopause as I have not gone 12 months without a cycle yet. Bizarre at my age but runs in the family.

I am not using weights. I am in yoga twice a week and paddle lots in spring/summer.

My belly is the area I need to shrink the most.

I'm sure that the fact that you still have some hormones coursing through your body has helped. I didn't go through menopause until about 53, and I thought that was late.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hi @NewMEEE2016

I am now 53 and started my monster weight loss of 168 lbs at the age of 48. It took just over 2 years and I have maintained that loss for 3 + years now at a weight of approx. 110 lbs at 5' 4".

I have been menopausal on HRT since a Hyster at 28 and have 2 children now aged 31 and 28 years.

I think my skin has bounced back really well and my masseuse has been equally amazed when she saw the before pics of me.

Genetics is key I think and also because my lose was slow and steady it helped. Some people on here have terrible problems but I have been very lucky.

I'm pretty clueless with the computer and probably live in a different time zone to you Aust. but would be happy if I can to send you pics of my tummy etc if you would be interested.

Best advice I can give is just to be a patient as possible (not easy) do as others have advised and lift heavy (I wish I had done this more). Wraps, lotions etc etc may make your skin feel nice but the evidence for lasting change and results do not seem to be there.

I wish you all the best.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    Hi @NewMEEE2016

I am now 53 and started my monster weight loss of 168 lbs at the age of 48. It took just over 2 years and I have maintained that loss for 3 + years now at a weight of approx. 110 lbs at 5' 4".

I have been menopausal on HRT since a Hyster at 28 and have 2 children now aged 31 and 28 years.

I think my skin has bounced back really well and my masseuse has been equally amazed when she saw the before pics of me.

Genetics is key I think and also because my lose was slow and steady it helped. Some people on here have terrible problems but I have been very lucky.

I'm pretty clueless with the computer and probably live in a different time zone to you Aust. but would be happy if I can to send you pics of my tummy etc if you would be interested.

Best advice I can give is just to be a patient as possible (not easy) do as others have advised and lift heavy (I wish I had done this more). Wraps, lotions etc etc may make your skin feel nice but the evidence for lasting change and results do not seem to be there.

I wish you all the best.

Wow- thanks so much. What an inspiring story and an INCREDIBLE accomplishment. My hunch is that the hormones also help quite a bit. Thank you for sharing.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My pleasure @NewMEEE2016. <3

Weight loss and how you want to look at the finish may lead to very different expectation and outcomes.

I do think the media and Hollywood types play into unrealistic expectations and then that leads to deep disappointment. It is sad when you think about it seeing that what we are doing is a very noble and healthy thing ie. keeping our weight under control and staying active thus avoiding the scourge of obesity, diabetes and osteoporosis etc.

Keep up the good fight. As others have pointed out there are many options in dealing with excess skin issues from supportive undergarments to corrective surgery.
  • bonsmom
    bonsmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 54, on HRT. I have lost 35 lbs. not a huge amount of loose skin. Belly and thighs not as firm as they could be, but overall I'm pleased. Do body pump (weight lifting) at least 3x week along with cardio. Lost the weight slowly over 7-8 months,2e47tw634zf9.jpg
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    @bonsmom Thanks! You look fantastic! There is hope :)
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    @middlehaitch Wow! You look spectacular. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm interested in hearing more about your lifting program!
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    @middlehaitch I read your profile- you complain about "saggy skin & a haggard face"- but I certainly don't see that..??? You look wonderful.

The "haggard face" thing terrifies me. I've always looked younger than my age and am really not ready to let go of that. (A little extra fat in the face is nice- plumps up the wrinkles- but of course we can't choose where the fat comes off of.)

Has anyone ever tried the RADIO FREQUENCY thing for sagging skin???
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ha! I was coming to post my lifting programme, but I see a little more is needed.
    Here is the lifting programme. AllPro.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761

I like it because it progresses in reps (8-12) rather than weight. I lift alone so I like to feel secure in the weight I am trying to move.

The saggy skin and haggard face were really a thing for the first couple of years after I lost the weight, but both my face and body adjusted to my new size over time.
    Compared to a twenty year old one could say both still applied, but I am not a 20 yo and I am very happy with my body, my face, I would have loved to have kept a little roundness, but having my hair slightly longer rounds it out.
    My face- 2000 aged 47 as I was gaining weight (left): 2015 aged 61 post weight loss (right)

i05pl5tc6hyb.jpg

I have learned a lot over the years and one thing is that as one goes through menopause subcutaneous fat decreases and visceral fat increases. This I now know is why my skin is a little looser on my body, it isn't just weight loss. I do think I may have had slightly better results if I had lost pre menopause, but I have nothing really to base that thought on.

Cheers, h.
    Edit: eek, I think I now prefer my face now, joke, the older pic is non digital that I just snapped.
  • dsmith1358
    dsmith1358 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I sooo need this group. I am post menopause 10 years and need your inspiration to prove to me that weight loss after menopause is possible. Thank you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!