Final clothing size for 5'7" -5'8" size women

Options

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    An other topic about size 4 women got me thinking what is the final clothing size for taller women? I am 5'7.5" , and I thought 4 or 6 would be my goal.
    When I checked that size 4 topic, all the ladies there are fairly short like 5' 1" or 2". Most of them already at or close to their final goal and they are fairly skinny. Based on that I do not think a size 4 is realistic for my height. So what is the finbal destination as far as clothing size goes for a women ~5'8" ?

It really all depends on how you're built. I'm 5'7" and wore a 4 for several years (I was between 130 and 135 then). As of this morning I am 141 and mainly wearing a 6, although some of my size 4 jeans and most of the size 4 skirts fit. As you may have guessed, I don't carry much of my weight in the hips or thighs, which is why size 4 pants will sometimes fit me even at this weight. I couldn't get into a size 4 top right now if my life depended on it however--my boobs will be the last to go.

So yes, it's realistic at your height to at least wear a 4 on one half or the other when you're at goal weight.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5". I am small framed and would like to be in a 4.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    This brings up a pet peeve of mine. 1) sizes keep changing, what is a 6 is now used to be an 8, and further back in time, a 10 or 12. I like vintage clothes, and the sizes just keep getting smaller as time goes on. No one would have dreamed up a size '0' in 1960. 2) Nowadays, there is no standard amongst clothing manufacturers. I can go into a department store and find a 4, 6, 8, and probably even a 10 that all fit me, depending on the manufacturer.

Yep, It's a nightmare going clothes shopping these days!! I went to Eddie Bower to buy shorts and was a size 2!! LOL!! That's actually pretty darn funny!! I am a size 4 at Dress Barn and Gap/Old Navy. Im a size 6 at Victoria Secret. It's a complete crap shoot at Kohl's and Target. I just try everything on... Im in between 12 and 14 on the sewing charts and those charts never change!!
  • atsteele
    Options
    BTW When I started MFP my goal was not to get to a certain size or weight. I just wanted to see if I dropped a few pounds, if that would help my running pace and be easier on my joints. And so far, I think that it's been helpful. I think goals for MFP should be more about improving your nutrition and fitness and thus your health. I think sometimes we get too caught up in numbers, on the scale, in the measurements. I'll never look like I did before I had my babies. But I feel good. I feel healthier. I feel like I can accomplish bigger and better things. I think that I could do more even... and I dont mean lose more weight or get to a smaller size. Im talking about doing more to enhance my phyical fitness... and that's really what I think we all should be focusing on, improving our nutrition and fitness, and less about the numbers and looking like a certain image we have in our head of what we think we should look like. Just throwing that out there... not condemning the question... or responses...
  • HeidiLynnKarr
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and am between 10-12. My goal is 6-8!
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal is a size 4 American Eagle pants. Why? Because that's what all my clothes are! Thank goodness the dresses fit or I'd have nothing to wear :laugh:
  • aybee77
    aybee77 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5", and when I was a senior in high school I weighed 135 and wore a size 6. When I reach my goal now, I expect to be an 8 (at 171 I am now between 10 and 12).
  • emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and basically at my goal and am usually a size 4.
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and currently a size 6, trying to get down to a 4. There are pictures of where I'm at on my profile, feel free to look at them. I'm also pear shaped so it's a little harder for me to get down a pant size since that's where most of my weight likes to hang out.
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal is a size 4 American Eagle pants. Why? Because that's what all my clothes are! Thank goodness the dresses fit or I'd have nothing to wear :laugh:

A size 4's gotta be a size 2 though. I've been losing weight and all my size 6's are getting looser except my American eagle jeans are still tight. I'm not sure how I got in to them when I was 10lbs heavier.
  • atsteele
    Options

A size 4's gotta be a size 2 though. I've been losing weight and all my size 6's are getting looser except my American eagle jeans are still tight. I'm not sure how I got in to them when I was 10lbs heavier.

I can't quite figure out American Eagle jean sizing. I looked at their sizing charts in their store and figured I'd probably be a size 6 or 8. So I tried both sizes and neither fit. One was too big around the waist, gapping in the rear end, which is NOT a good look for a mother of five. And the next size down it seemed too tight (in the hips/thighs). So I gave up on their brand.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I can't quite figure out American Eagle jean sizing. I looked at their sizing charts in their store and figured I'd probably be a size 6 or 8. So I tried both sizes and neither fit. One was too big around the waist, gapping in the rear end, which is NOT a good look for a mother of five. And the next size down it seemed too tight (in the hips/thighs). So I gave up on their brand.
    Because they designed for girls/ young women who did not gave birth , and have very narrow hips.
    After carrying a baby or two (or 5) and giving birth the hip bone are much wider forever. If you have a narrow waist with your "mommy hip" then you better to look for jeans that designed for curvy women, regardless of your size is a 14 or a 10 or 6 or even 4 ;)
  • atsteele
    Options
    Because they designed for girls/ young women who did not gave birth , and have very narrow hips.
    After carrying a baby or two (or 5) and giving birth the hip bone are much wider forever. If you have a narrow waist with your "mommy hip" then you better to look for jeans that designed for curvy women, regardless of your size is a 14 or a 10 or 6 or even 4 ;)

Yep. I figured as much. They had a "curvy" style jean but not in my size the day that I was in the store. Oh well. No way am I going to try to order them online!!
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" - when I started MFP, I was 194 lbs and wore a size 16. Now I'm 148 and I wear a size 8. Ideally, I'd like to lost another 10 pounds or so, so I think I might actually end up in a size 6. Depending on the site I look at, I either have a small or a medium frame, with an hourglass shape.
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    Hi!! Tall here too!! I'm 5'9 and when I was a size 6, I still weighed 148 pounds, and I was told I was too thin ALL the time!!! I look back at pictures and I'm amazed, I really WAS thin!! So, since I decided to lose weight and deal with my PCOS issues, I had told myself I don't "need" to ever be a 6 again, I don't think it's realistic, but who knows. I'd be thrilled to be a size 8!!! Everyone has a different build, so it's a hard call!!
    Oh, on a side not, I don't know if you all have a store called Vanity by you, but they have the most comfortable jeans, and come in different lengths too!! I won't buy jeans anywhere else now!! I've always had a hard time finding jeans long enough for me!!!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and have a large frame. When I was thin I wore a 12 - I could probably been in a 10 if I had been really fit. My goal is a 12/14
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, weigh 140lbs and currently wear a size 6 - 8. I'm looking to lose another 5lbs and hopefully drop one size, although I am definitely struggling with the c-section belly that seems to look worse with the more weight I lose (which makes me wonder why women CHOOSE to have a c-section...ick!)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm at a 6 now, and I just have wide hips so I think even if I lost ten more pounds (which it is not my goal to do) I would still need the 6 to get up and over those hips. ;-)
  • erin7822
    Options
    I'm 5"7' and a size 0...is that too small?
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    I'm 5'7.75" and when I was 130ish I was a size 4. That's my ideal (as I want to fit back into my clothes!) but a size 6 is nice also. I think that's the size I'd like to maintain as I get I'm older, if possible. For now I'm only 25, and 4 is my doable ideal. I have a somewhat wide frame but thinner bones. Size 8 just starts to look flabby all around on me, as much as I'd love to pull it off.