Decent tasting 20g+ protein shakes, flavors that aren't chocolate/vanilla?

Options
Quasita
Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
Basically, I have to subsist on 2-3 protein shakes a day for a while, and would like to diversify my flavor options. The requirements I have are:

1. Has to be a protein shake (NOT a meal replacement)
2. Has to be "sugar free" (less than 5g of sugar)
3. Looking for 20g+ of protein per serving
4. Cost-efficient if at all possible. ~$.50-$1 per serving is the range I'm looking at
5. Mail-order, Amazon, all this is great. I do not have a Sam's card or Costco membership.

Anyone have any suggestions? Kinda hoping for a green apple one... It has to be able to stand alone, mixed with water or unsweetened almond milk only.

Replies

• brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, it's only $0.75 per serving when you get the 5 lb jug, and the service is excellent. Tons of flavors to try too. www.bodybuilding.com
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I like Quest cookies and cream, it's probably at the upper end of your price range, but it meets all the other requirements.
  • Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't know if isopure meets all your requirements but it's seriously one of my favorites.
    If you're looking for something healthier I always recommend Vega or Vega Sport. :)
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i like muscle milk light cookies and cream
  • Dustinado
    Dustinado Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Syntrax protein or proti diet has multiple flavors. Bariatric protein drinks have more flavors. Good luck
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    Basically, I have to subsist on 2-3 protein shakes a day for a while, and would like to diversify my flavor options. The requirements I have are:

1. Has to be a protein shake (NOT a meal replacement)
    2. Has to be "sugar free" (less than 5g of sugar)
    3. Looking for 20g+ of protein per serving
    4. Cost-efficient if at all possible. ~$.50-$1 per serving is the range I'm looking at
    5. Mail-order, Amazon, all this is great. I do not have a Sam's card or Costco membership.

Anyone have any suggestions? Kinda hoping for a green apple one... It has to be able to stand alone, mixed with water or unsweetened almond milk only.

This is where I confess that I mix my vanilla protein powder with flavored BCAAs. My favorite is passion fruit Best BCAAs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend getting samples of different flavors. What tastes good is highly dependent on personal tastes. Several people mentioned Optimum Nutrition, which I hated. I like Trutein, lots of other people hate that.

Try different brands, order lots of something you like.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Body logix brand has a good strawberry flavor. Im pretty sure its low sugar (has stevia in it), but not sure exactly how low.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    six star cookies and cream. six star salted carmel.

I use just a little water and make it pudding.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options

life Basics protein mix has a fruit flavored one available through vita cost.com
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I highly recommend getting samples of different flavors. What tastes good is highly dependent on personal tastes. Several people mentioned Optimum Nutrition, which I hated. I like Trutein, lots of other people hate that.

I second that, but where to get samples? I use Quest, which I like, but it's expensive and I'm not that fond of the caramel and cookies and cream flavors... I would love to try ON, just don't want to shell the money for a huge tub I might not like. I tried the Trutein pudding and it ended up in the trash, for example, because it was sickeningly sweet.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure Zero Carb.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Check out syntrax Nectar. Love the natural peach
  • Quasita
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Right, but even "samples" typically cost $2.50 or so, and not every company carries fruit flavors. I already have a chocolate go-to that I have in bulk... but the fruits and alternative flavors are a little more niche and can be really hit or miss. I'd already been looking at the Syntrax line because they had green apple but it's twice as expensive as the chocolate one I'm using.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I would get unflavored whey isolate powder & mix in your own flavors.

This one is the cheapest: http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein-Isolate-Packaging/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1462933175&sr=8-2&keywords=unflavored+whey+isolate

You can use any sugar free pudding mix to flavor it & add it to your almond milk. I used to use 7 grams of mix to each 29 grams of protein powder. I've seen people on WLS forums add it to their sugar-free jello (mix it in to the cold water before it sets).

If you're looking for apple, mix it in with sugar free apple drink: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Apple-Drink-Mix-6-count-2.5-oz/23554743 .

Use a blender if you're bothered by any clumps (this is true with any protein powder). I have an immersion blender that works well. Most of the time, I just use a fork to stir & it's good enough for me.

Unflavored gives you many more options & it's cheaper than trying to go through all the various flavors from each company.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    New Solutions Nutrition makes a whey protein powder in cinnamon that is 5g sugar, 5g carbs and 23g protein/serving. It comes in strawberry in addition to vanilla and chocolate. My BFF at the gym really likes it. He also mixes the flavors so he gets chocolate cinnamon or strawberry vanilla.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Trutein. 1g sugar per serving in most of their flavors. Both the Banana Cream and Cinnabun are delicious too. Mixes easily in a shaker bottle and you can order samples of their flavors from their website. Stand alone with water they're not quite as tasty (I mix mine with skim milk), but they should be fine with almond milk.
  • Quasita
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    I would get unflavored whey isolate powder & mix in your own flavors.

This one is the cheapest: http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein-Isolate-Packaging/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1462933175&sr=8-2&keywords=unflavored+whey+isolate

You can use any sugar free pudding mix to flavor it & add it to your almond milk. I used to use 7 grams of mix to each 29 grams of protein powder. I've seen people on WLS forums add it to their sugar-free jello (mix it in to the cold water before it sets).

If you're looking for apple, mix it in with sugar free apple drink: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Apple-Drink-Mix-6-count-2.5-oz/23554743 .

Use a blender if you're bothered by any clumps (this is true with any protein powder). I have an immersion blender that works well. Most of the time, I just use a fork to stir & it's good enough for me.

Unflavored gives you many more options & it's cheaper than trying to go through all the various flavors from each company.

THIS IS AWESOME I didn't even *think* about something like this but I'm definitely going to check this out because this means I could even use my own preferred sugar-free chocolate mix over using a pre-made mix. I'd gone with a pre-made so far just because I needed to be able to build a habit but now I'm ready to make some changes... I'm doing this as prep for WLS, and I see the dietician tomorrow, so I'm sure they will be happy I've obtained this information.

Seriously, thanks to everyone for the responses, it's been really helpful... I know everyone has different taste buds and preferences but we all know that say, some store brands are just awful across the board or some name brands actually have really terrible ingredients while being super expensive, so I thought asking would give me some good ideas before I started buying samples :)
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've found EAS AvantEdge Carb Control makes Cafe Caramel ones and a few others that are not your standard Vanilla/Chocolate. They are only 17g protein rather than 20+, but meet the other requirements. I always have a few on hand because they are pre-made and almost a juicebox type format....Great to just always have if needed. You can get them at Target or Amazon. They sell the vanilla and chocolate at Sams. Worked great post-bariatric!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectars offer a sample pack through their website. They have all kinds of fruity flavors. I agree on using plain with mixing in drink mixes, but I LOVE their Iced Tea and Lemonade so I have those along with my Quest Unflavored. Check out www.si03.com there's a phone number in their "Monthly Special" to get 15 full sized samples for $16.99 shipped. It's a great way to try their product. There are more traditional flavors as well, but for the price, it was worth it for me! If you do like their product, google the heck out of it. Their site is SUPER EXPENSIVE and I find deals at different sites each time I buy from them!

Also, 7 months post-VSG, feel free to add/message me, just please include a note about your WLS. :) Good luck!