Overactive Quads!

Options
I'm trying to correct extremely overactive quads that have now caused a pelvis tilt, an extremely weak core and glutes. I've started pilates but I want to get back into running for the cardio fitness but I'm worried that it'll cancel out my pilates work in correcting my core!

I have zero knowledge on this stuff hence why I am asking :)

Replies

• hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! This! I have the same issue. I've been working out with a trainer and after every exercise he asks me where I'm feeling it and it's almost always my quads. I didn't know overactive quads was a thing. Thank you for shedding light! I'll bump because I'd love to know how to correct this.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I assume that your quads are overactive because they have no choice - your posterior chain is undeveloped (due to an office job or something similar)? If so, running will only be a problem if you let it - proper running technique uses quite a bit of the posterior chain. Of course, keep up with other work to build up those neglected glutes, hamstrings and their supporting cast.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of these would help strengthen your core and glutes.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/5-home-butt-exercises-help-prevent-knee-pain/
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Box squats.
  • trishaseren
    trishaseren Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    I assume that your quads are overactive because they have no choice - your posterior chain is undeveloped (due to an office job or something similar)? If so, running will only be a problem if you let it - proper running technique uses quite a bit of the posterior chain. Of course, keep up with other work to build up those neglected glutes, hamstrings and their supporting cast.

Yes! Exactly sitting down all day has caused so much damage to my body. My back is weak, my pelvis is tilted, my hips are sooooo tight. It's scary as I'm only 28!

Good to hear that running should be ok though, thank you for your help :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to correct extremely overactive quads that have now caused a pelvis tilt, an extremely weak core and glutes.

Who diagnosed you?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It's likely not "over active" quads as it is leg biceps (hamstrings) and "rears" neglect. Very common even with regular gym goers.
    Most people train the muscles they can see from the front. They don't pay as much attention to muscles in the rear (with possibly the exception of glutes). So rear delts, upper back, hamstrings, calves aren't usually on par with their antagonistic body parts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's likely not "over active" quads as it is leg biceps (hamstrings) and "rears" neglect. Very common even with regular gym goers.
    Most people train the muscles they can see from the front. They don't pay as much attention to muscles in the rear (with possibly the exception of glutes). So rear delts, upper back, hamstrings, calves aren't usually on par with their antagonistic body parts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Seconded.