Do I stop now? And how?

Options
I joined MFP to lose my baby weight. My 3rd baby is now 6 months old and I have more than lost the weight. I started my pregnancy at 112lbs (I'm just under 5'3) and I am now 109lbs. I fit all my old size 0-2 jeans, I have muscle definition. My belly isn't flat, but after 3 kids I think it's mostly loose skin (it's wrinkly and loose). I have changed my MFP goal to maintaining my weight, but I find myself feeling guilty and stressing over going over my original "Lose One Pound Per Week" goal. I rarely eat more than my weight loss calories, let alone my maintainence calories.

I am assuming it's time to stop trying to lose (my BMI is 19.2), especially because I am still breastfeeding my baby and don't want to lose my supply. I just don't know how to stop focussing on it. How do I stop? Anyone who's maintaning now, how did you change gears?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Well done, you've done a great job to lose all that weight with a new baby to care for.
    I'm sorry to say that I don't have any advice, but I'm wondering the same thing - how to stop eating low cal when it's time to maintain? I'm still 5 - 7 kg away from this, but starting to think that reaching my goal is a reality.

My thoughts for once I get there are to increase cals slowly, rather than jumping up 500 cals all of a sudden. And that once I reach maintenance calories to log everything for a week, then stop logging for a week, so see how I go without counting.
    I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    You could always look at it this way. You need to maintain for your baby. You said you're breastfeeding. If you aren't getting enough then your baby won't get enough. You sound like you are at a good size for your height. So, to answer your first question....yes, you stop now. The how is looking at your baby and knowing that you need to for him/her.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is hard psychologically. It is like driving a car full speed ahead and then having to slam on brakes and put it in reverse. At least, that's how it felt to me. Now, I'm used to it and maintenance is THE BEST ever!!!

There are ways to get in the calories without adding a lot of "volume" if that makes sense. For instance- I'll eat an ounce of almonds for a quick 160 calories. A protein bar after my workout adds another 200. I'll put a tablespoon of natural peanut butter on my banana for another 90 calories.

You don't have to worry about reverting to your 'old ways' when going to maintenance... but you need to make sure you get in your calories. Just like losing weight, it takes some getting used to.

I had a very difficult time in the beginning and reverted to drinking protein shakes when I found I was drastically under my maintenance calorie goal. Continuing to lose was only going to be detrimental to my goal of gaining muscle and getting cut so I made sure, no matter what, that I got those cals in.

Now, my excitement comes when I see that I have maintained my weight and see new muscle definition that wasn't there before. It is the same excitement I used to feel when the numbers would drop on the scale.

Good luck and great work reaching your goal!
  • MaKisMom
    MaKisMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you Nikki, that is exactly what I was talking about. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is/has struggled with moving from losing to maintaining. I'm also glad to know it can be done. I'll need to figure out something to increase calories, since I was already doing a handful of nuts or extra peanut butter just to get to my weight loss calories. Maybe I'll just add in another small snack during the day.