How to be vegetarian?

Hi everyone, my problem is that cooking is never gonna be part of me. I'm willing to learn, I tried, but I really can't. Please give me tips and advise how to become a vegitarian and how will I start. Anyway, I live with my parents, and meals are out of my control. ;)

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited May 2016
    Just tell your parents you don't want meat, or don't eat the meat they give you.
  • myattcp
    myattcp Posts: 6 Member
    Substitute the meat for something like tofu, if your not the one cooking or can't afford to buy your food yet, then best thing is to explain that you don't want to eat meat.
  • fairymagic1113
    fairymagic1113 Posts: 3 Member
    Even vegetarians have to cook. I would recommend doing a bit of research on the studies of Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He focuses on a type of eating called, "Nutritarian." Mostly you just end up eating nutrient rich foods, such as super healthy salads, fresh fruit, beans, etc.

Also, make sure if you're going vegetarian, that you have some sort of protein sources: eggs, beans, tofu, peanuts or peanut butter, etc.

I would recommend taking a basic cooking course at a community college or community center (if you don't know how to cook). If you're like me and you know how to cook, but you HATE to cook, then that's sort of something you have just deal with throughout your life. As a person who hates to cook, I enjoy a TON of fresh fruits and veggies. All I have to do is wash them and eat them. I also like to combine different types of cheese for a nice variety of flavor and protein.

Good luck, hon! B)
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    If you live with your parents and meals are out of your control then you need to sit down with your parents and speak to them about it. If they are willing to support you and cook for you then all is well. If they are willing to support you with the shopping bill but not make separate meals for you then you will need to learn to shop and cook for yourself.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    You would be surprised at how cheap it is to eat a meat free diet. For example, a tin of beans costs 50p and will be good for two meals. A bag of tofu mince is around £2 and kept in the freezer, can last 4 meals. I would suggest looking on sites such as Pinterest for meal ideas too, as not everything necessarily needs a meat substitute
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    My son chose to become vegetarian and then vegan and now back to vegetarian when he was in 7th grade! It was a challenge for me as his mom but it's what he wanted so I made it work to help him meet his goals. He is in great shape and has continued this lifestyle...now 18yrs old. I've always made him lots of the same foods we eat but make the sauces or seasonings to fit his fish, tofu, beans, and egg dishes. Quinoa is a great source of protein too so I've made this for him to eat with black beans, navy beans, lentils, etc.
    He has always made his own omelet and enjoys cooking too. He has had black bean burgers, veggie burgers, spaghetti made with green peppers and onions sauteed. Portabella mushroom steaks on the grill and then all of his veggies, sweet potatoes, etc. it really hasn't been a problem. When we have chicken or red meat, I've made him salmon, salmon cakes, cod, halibut. Best of luck to you and just make sure you eat lots of protein. He eats peanut butter, Greek yogurt and almonds as well. Super healthy!
  • spicyyeasty
    spicyyeasty Posts: 1 Member
    joobey wrote: »
    ... to fit his fish, tofu, beans, and egg dishes...When we have chicken or red meat, I've made him salmon, salmon cakes, cod, halibut.
    Your son is not a vegetarian as vegetarians don't eat fish (it's also a meat!). ;)

As for the question "how to be vegetarian"- myself being vegan- I really advice you just to cook big portions of the same food (or split the portions to differ the seasonings), this way you have a lot of food prepared in relatively short time spend cooking.
    And of course fresh fruits and veggies are bomb too as they need little preparation. :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Um, vegetarians have to cook too :p
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    ... to fit his fish, tofu, beans, and egg dishes...When we have chicken or red meat, I've made him salmon, salmon cakes, cod, halibut.
    Your son is not a vegetarian as vegetarians don't eat fish (it's also a meat!). ;)

As for the question "how to be vegetarian"- myself being vegan- I really advice you just to cook big portions of the same food (or split the portions to differ the seasonings), this way you have a lot of food prepared in relatively short time spend cooking.
    And of course fresh fruits and veggies are bomb too as they need little preparation. :)

Oops...I guess he would be considered a
    Pesco-Vegetarian. My bad :wink:
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member

OP said she won't cook. So yeah ...
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Hi everyone, my problem is that cooking is never gonna be part of me. I'm willing to learn, I tried, but I really can't. Please give me tips and advise how to become a vegitarian and how will I start. Anyway, I live with my parents, and meals are out of my control. ;)

You don't want to eat meat because you can't cook? Why not just take some cooking classes. It's really not that hard. When I was in my first marriage years ago I could barely cook that much and learned along the way. When you have to feed others you learn quick.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    1.) move out.
    2.) learn how to fricking cook
    3.) don't eat meat.

don't over complicate simple things.