low carb dieting

Options
they only way I have ever lost weigt is low carb (Atkins), I wanted to try this calorie counting and I feel like I am going to explode. So I am going to use this site & go back to the only thing that worked for me. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Replies

• kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi there! When I started on MFP I had lost 10 pounds on the low carb (Atkins) diet. I changed over to the calorie counting, but I watch both my carbs and my calories. Keeping the carbs low (not as low as Atkins, but as close as I can get) and so far it seems to be okay. I'm not going below 20 as in the first phase of Atkins, but I'm trying to hover nicely in that area!
  • wf0439
    wf0439 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you. I have been watching my calories and logging food and exercise and the weight loss is very slow. When I go on a low carb diet, I lose weight and I am not hungry. It really works for me. The only thing is that I am not sure it is a healthy diet as you restrict your fruit and grains so much, which I also really enjoy.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I kinda do both. Right now I am on the Dukan diet. It is low carb and works really great. I use this site to still see how many calories I eat and how many I burn. My biggest problem with a low carb diet is I always feel full and satisfied so I don't eat near the calories I need. So that way my body doen't go into starvation mode and I get the best results out of my diet plan.
  • sunnygal1
    sunnygal1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am totally with you on this one. I was not losing weight until I started watching my sugar intake. However, I workout a lot and the Atkins diet was a little too extreme for me and left me energy-deprived. I do much better on the Paleo Diet.

Good luck! :)
  • kezell83
    kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    That is my biggest problem with counting calories. I am hungry all the time. I was never hungry with Atkins. So I am with you there.
  • ritafay2011
    Options
    Low carbs been working for me!!!!!:drinker:
  • utaviator
    utaviator Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I kinda do both. Right now I am on the Dukan diet. It is low carb and works really great. I use this site to still see how many calories I eat and how many I burn. My biggest problem with a low carb diet is I always feel full and satisfied so I don't eat near the calories I need. So that way my body doen't go into starvation mode and I get the best results out of my diet plan.

I agree. My most success has been eliminating breads (processed grains) and sugar. Currently I have jump started with the Dukan with proteins and vegetables, and feel great. Unfortunately I am also under my calorie goals daily, but I feel great, have energy, and never hungry.
  • Alishaa18
    Alishaa18 Posts: 21
    Options
    I lost alot of weight on Atkins several years ago. I stayed on it about a year and half and got smaller than I had ever been. But I have tried to get back on it twice in the past 6 months and didn't drop a pound. I have no idea what is goin on or what I am doing wrong. I switched to counting calories and the weight started coming off.
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    I do 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat and lost 3 pounds in the first 3 weeks. I still make sure I don't go over my calories, but keeping this ratio has proven to be the best method for me
  • btravis4355
    Options
    I kinda did the same thing, but stayed good for about 4 years. I moved to a different state from Florida and Missorians are just not health concious people like Floridians and I have gotten away from eating right - no I can't seem to make myself stick to low carb or anything!
  • btravis4355
    Options
    Never heard of the Dukan diet - I will check it out~thanks :wink:
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have done low/no carb diets my whole life...drop the weight and slowly but surely it comes back. Counting calories this way with a balanced diet that includes carbs probably will yield a slower weight loss but the weight I have lost doing this has not come back....I have kept off what I lost for 2 years! Also eating carbs at the right time of day will help. I eat my healthy carbs usually preworkout and fruit or something after with protein. :-)
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the low carb diet. Not a no carb, but a low carb. I am getting to the point where I want my only carbs to be whole grains and natural sugar from fruit.
    Counting calories is fine, but if you are counting all kinds of sugary, processed calories then you can count away and never get healthy.