Exercise with hip issues

Options
Hello! I am in desperate need of losing weight and hope that I can remain faithful on My Fitness Pal by logging in exactly what I consume. I am a candidate for hip replacement later on this year, and find that going for walks is impossible right now. All I am doing is a little bike riding, and some easy yoga. How can one lose weight by being sedentary? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? Even walking in water burns calories, and as the water is weight bearing its not going to be bad on your hip.
  • DerangedPixi
    DerangedPixi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Swimming/water aerobics is probably your best bet. But you can lose weight without exercise it is all about your diet.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and a candidate for hip replacement but my doctor's won't do surgery on me because they keep saying i'm too young. I know though that i need to lose at least another 100 pounds before they will consider the surgery. I've done mostly bike riding when my hip lets me and walk every so often when i get a chance. I've lost 100 pounds to date mainly on calorie restriction. You don't necessarily need to exercise although its good for over all health. Plus, when you have the hip replacement, about all you will be able to do for some time will be therapy. Concentrate on your intake for now and get exercise when you can.
  • lmpski1
    lmpski1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all the replies so far!

joseccastaneda , I have learned that age has nothing to do with the need for hip replacement. I congratulate you on your weight loss so far!!! My husband first had it when he was only 44, and I thought that was too young! DerangedPixi and chatterbox3110, I do have access to the Y pool and need to get back into doing that. Great idea!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    lmpski1 wrote: »
    Hello! I am in desperate need of losing weight and hope that I can remain faithful on My Fitness Pal by logging in exactly what I consume. I am a candidate for hip replacement later on this year, and find that going for walks is impossible right now. All I am doing is a little bike riding, and some easy yoga. How can one lose weight by being sedentary? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

As someone that had a THR in July 2014, I will tell you that riding that bike is the VERY BEST thing you can do. It is really important to keep working those quads!! Any machines that you can do at the gym would also be beneficial. I had to quit the leg press and standing calf machine, but I kept up with leg extensions and seated leg curls. (You'll hear some people pooh-pooh these machines, but many people don't do them correctly, or use too much weight and end up hurting themselves.) Squats and lunges were also painful, so I don't recommend those right now either. Honestly, cycling is the best. But you need to do a LOT of it. Aim for 10 miles a day if you can, or get in a couple of 20 milers 2 or 3 times a week. It will make a HUGE difference in your recovery, I promise. Also, if you can do stairs (I was able to do the stepmill up almost right up to surgery) that is also good to keep up strength and mobility.

I walked a half mile 4 days after my surgery. 16 days after surgery, I did 15 miles on the exercise bike at the gym. I was back running in 3 months. My surgeon told me that I did so well because I did not stop exercising before surgery, and greatly increased my biking time.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your surgery!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    can you change your " little biking" to "lots of biking"? add some chair exercises. Use hand weights in sitting.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and a candidate for hip replacement but my doctor's won't do surgery on me because they keep saying i'm too young. I know though that i need to lose at least another 100 pounds before they will consider the surgery. I've done mostly bike riding when my hip lets me and walk every so often when i get a chance. I've lost 100 pounds to date mainly on calorie restriction. You don't necessarily need to exercise although its good for over all health. Plus, when you have the hip replacement, about all you will be able to do for some time will be therapy.

Please bear with me as this may be long but this comes from someone who had double hip replacement surgery. I have to strongly disagree with some of your statements about the hip surgery and your perspective on it.

Two years ago saw an orthopedic surgeon make a long story short he made me feel like s***. Told me I needed to lose a hundred pounds before he would even consider doing the surgery because there's no way it would work. My weight when I saw him was about 285-290 because of mobility issues. After my visit with him it set me back emotionally mentally and physically very badly.

Try to deal with it and avoided the concept of surgery. The pain got so bad I couldn't handle it anymore. Found an orthopedic surgeon who taught at a teaching Hospital in my area his attitude was no big deal your weight's not an issue.

He used a method of hip surgery called an anterior method. Normally when a doctor does hip surgery they either go from the back or the side this requires cutting the muscle and the tendons or ligaments which requires a longer recovery. With anterior method they don't cut any muscle or ligament. My point is that not every doctor can do this method and you have a lot of Surgeons out there who got attitudes that they know everything and they have preconceptions about what can and can't be done.

Had the surgery done February 2016. Spent two weeks in a rehab facility doing physical therapy 6 days a week within the first two weeks they had me walking up and down stairs. Went home did two weeks of in-home therapy and I started to drive one month after the surgery.

One month after surgery I was off the walker, 2 months after surgery I didn't even require a cane. 3 months after surgery I was playing golf.

Yes calorie in calorie out will help you lose weight and by losing weight it will help greatly accelerate your recovery time.

To make this longer I also have bone-on-bone arthritis in my left knee. Before the surgery I thought I was going to need a knee replacement. After the surgery I'm second-guessing myself as whether I'm actually going to need it.

I found that being on mfp has really helped me as far as my lifestyle change Journey. I've even set a goal to run a mini Triathlon in 2017.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Please bear with me as this may be long but this comes from someone who had double hip replacement surgery. I have to strongly disagree with some of your statements about the hip surgery and your perspective on it.

Two years ago saw an orthopedic surgeon make a long story short he made me feel like s***. Told me I needed to lose a hundred pounds before he would even consider doing the surgery because there's no way it would work. My weight when I saw him was about 285-290 because of mobility issues. After my visit with him it set me back emotionally mentally and physically very badly.

Try to deal with it and avoided the concept of surgery. The pain got so bad I couldn't handle it anymore. Found an orthopedic surgeon who taught at a teaching Hospital in my area his attitude was no big deal your weight's not an issue.

He used a method of hip surgery called an anterior method. Normally when a doctor does hip surgery they either go from the back or the side this requires cutting the muscle and the tendons or ligaments which requires a longer recovery. With anterior method they don't cut any muscle or ligament. My point is that not every doctor can do this method and you have a lot of Surgeons out there who got attitudes that they know everything and they have preconceptions about what can and can't be done.

Had the surgery done February 2016. Spent two weeks in a rehab facility doing physical therapy 6 days a week within the first two weeks they had me walking up and down stairs. Went home did two weeks of in-home therapy and I started to drive one month after the surgery.

One month after surgery I was off the walker, 2 months after surgery I didn't even require a cane. 3 months after surgery I was playing golf.

Yes calorie in calorie out will help you lose weight and by losing weight it will help greatly accelerate your recovery time.

To make this longer I also have bone-on-bone arthritis in my left knee. Before the surgery I thought I was going to need a knee replacement. After the surgery I'm second-guessing myself as whether I'm actually going to need it.

I found that being on mfp has really helped me as far as my lifestyle change Journey. I've even set a goal to run a mini Triathlon in 2017.

Steve, my THR was a breeze. I was in the hospital 23 hours, and went straight home. I used a walker for maybe a week, and the cane a few days after that. In 16 days I was released to go back to work, to drive, and to the gym (and I was there that night!). I had in-home PT, about 3 times a week, for 2 weeks, an hour a session. That was it. My procedure was anterior also, and from what I understand, that is becoming more the norm than not. Makes SUCH a difference in the recovery.