Day one- and I'm terrified of myself.

Options
It's day one of really trying. All I want to do is eat more. I'm not hungry at all. It's all mental. I have no idea how to fight myself with this. I already feel guilty for being a couple hundred calories over.

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? How much are you eating? Are you sure you are eating enough? Way too little information here to give any sort of help or advice :/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Try just logging (weigh and measure all food and liquids) what you eat regularly for a couple of weeks and see where you can cut some calories by having smaller portions.
    Make notes of why and when you want to eat.

Take it slow and build new habits one by one.

Cheers, h.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    The first few days are terrible, because all you think about is food. It really does get easier. Make sure you're drinking enough water, and that your calorie goal is set properly.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Prelog.
    Exercise.
    Focus on other things. Life is not all about food.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes I just need a cup of water or tea as I do my needlework in the evenings. This way I keep my hands busy and since I don't want to get the piece I'm working on dirty, I don't eat! If after 30-45 minutes I'm still hungry, then I'll have a small snack (try to keep it under 200 calories), wash my hands, and pick up my needlework again. I'm a snack when bored person so I need to keep my hands busy and my mind distracted!

As you said, it's all in your head. Don't feel guilty about OCCASIONALLY going over your calorie goal by a small amount. I usually have at least 1 or 2 days a week that I end up going over but the rest of the week I'm right on target (or slightly under if I don't eat back all my exercise calories). This is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a diet so the changes you make have to be sustainable and work best for you. Some people can do this on 1200 calories a day, some can't. I discovered that I currently can't do 1200 (even with eating my exercise calories) sustainably and changed my goal to lose .5 lb/week so I could eat more and feel better.

I think MissusMoon nailed it - I felt the same way the first few days I restarted tracking again.

• nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The first few days are the worst. But once the new amount you're eating is "normal", it gets easier and easier.

Experiment with how frequently you eat. Try a small breakfast, a snack a few hours later, lunch, a snack, dinner, bedtime snack. This is how I eat, and I'm averaging 1400-1600 calories most days. Sometimes 1700 or 1800 if I intentionally go over.

Then try switching up WHAT you're eating. I love snacks that keep me full like Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, turkey pepperettes...
  • bigorange70
    bigorange70 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes I just need a cup of water or tea as I do my needlework in the evenings. This way I keep my hands busy and since I don't want to get the piece I'm working on dirty, I don't eat! If after 30-45 minutes I'm still hungry, then I'll have a small snack (try to keep it under 200 calories), wash my hands, and pick up my needlework again. I'm a snack when bored person so I need to keep my hands busy and my mind distracted!

As you said, it's all in your head. Don't feel guilty about OCCASIONALLY going over your calorie goal by a small amount. I usually have at least 1 or 2 days a week that I end up going over but the rest of the week I'm right on target (or slightly under if I don't eat back all my exercise calories). This is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a diet so the changes you make have to be sustainable and work best for you. Some people can do this on 1200 calories a day, some can't. I discovered that I currently can't do 1200 (even with eating my exercise calories) sustainably and changed my goal to lose .5 lb/week so I could eat more and feel better.

I think MissusMoon nailed it - I felt the same way the first few days I restarted tracking again.

I know what you mean. If I am off of work then I want to eat the house and all that is in it. It really is a mind over matter type deal. Just try to stay busy and enjoy your meals you eat more slowly to make them last longer. I know easier aid than done but you can do this.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    cliche coming

eat to live don't live to eat.

If it's all mental you can choose.

figure out why you want to lose weight and decide if you are all in.