Need to gain by june

Options
I just joined the gym 1 week ago and got a trainer. I'm 5'5" and 94lbs. I registered negative 4 on the body fat machine. My trainer wants me to gain healthy 10lbs lean muscle.

Replies

• wally2183
    wally2183 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I wish I could have your negative 4
  • tikatiff
    tikatiff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Haha noooo u don't. I'm trying to gain a booty lol
  • xdelagarza1
    xdelagarza1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How is that possible
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well that machine is broken because its impossible to have negative body fat. Next, you can definitely gain weight by june but not 10 lbs of muscle. Generally women can gain about 1/4 lb per week. So about 1 lb per month. But it would also give you about 3 lbs of fat on top of that. But that will depend on genetics and lifting history. When you are new, you can gain a little more but that will taper quickly.
  • princessterrie16
    princessterrie16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah you definitely can't have negative body fat that's impossible, 0 is the lowest and that's extremely unlikely too. I'm the same height and weight and I have 11% body fat. I'm also trying to gain weight by June but I'm not so set on it being muscle, I actually would prefer some fat but I'll workout my stomach and legs. I want a booty too lol.
  • thejocelynchan
    thejocelynchan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer administer the body fat test? If not, do it again with your trainer. And if they did do it and told you you had -4% body fat, stop training with them cuz they clearly have no clue.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tikatiff wrote: »
    I just joined the gym 1 week ago and got a trainer. I'm 5'5" and 94lbs. I registered negative 4 on the body fat machine. My trainer wants me to gain healthy 10lbs lean muscle.

Given your weight your trainer should want you to gain some fat as well.

• ellevs
    ellevs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Machine is broken, however, gaining 10lbs is good. Keep it clean and lean :) See photo below, a skeleton can be -4 BF

body-fat-percentage-photos-women.jpg
  • danihc96
    danihc96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lol I saw your comment about "gaining a booty". That is honestly one of my goals! I'm 5'4 and 108lbs on a good day. Counting calories has helped me so much in making sure I get enough calories per day - and my lil booty has grown a lil now too! Being conscious of how much you're not getting in a day can help you eat more
  • nikkinyiel
    nikkinyiel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello. On a weight gain journey myself. Currently 5'5 135lb. Trying to reach 150 by july. Good luck
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    0 is the lowest and that's extremely unlikely too.

LOL!
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I'm really genuine curious, how did your trainer explain how it is possible to have less than no fat. a negative number is still a number, so what is it made up of if it's LESS than zero?! I am so confused, am I really that stupid that I can't get my head round such a concept. And surely everyone has a little bit of fat, in your bottom, your b00bs if you are a girl, around your organs...? Surely you'd be dead if you had totally NO fat? Surely??

Please help!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »

I'm really genuine curious, how did your trainer explain how it is possible to have less than no fat. a negative number is still a number, so what is it made up of if it's LESS than zero?! I am so confused, am I really that stupid that I can't get my head round such a concept. And surely everyone has a little bit of fat, in your bottom, your b00bs if you are a girl, around your organs...? Surely you'd be dead if you had totally NO fat? Surely??

Please help!

It's not possible. Body fat machines, especially gym ones, aren't that accurate in measuring body fat. And I'm assuming, like any algorithm, they also tend to be less accurate when someone doesn't fall within the average body fat/ body composition range.