Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    What does it do? what is it good for?
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Awesome for naturally lowering cholesterol. Good source of fiber, so also helps with digestion. Great nutty taste. I love it - I put ground flax meal on all sorts of stuff!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Awesome for naturally lowering cholesterol. Good source of fiber, so also helps with digestion. Great nutty taste. I love it - I put ground flax meal on all sorts of stuff!

ok thanks i just googled it I think I am gonna try it because I need all the help in the fiber/digestion area :embarassed: -thanks again
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Flax seed is also high in Omega 3 fatty acids which most Americans do not get near enough of.
  • mslot
    mslot Posts: 1
    Options
    Mix a few spoons of flax oil with cottage cheese (or yoghurt) & fruit, seems to keep you going for a good while (Dr. Budwig diet). Seems to be extremely good for you as well. Recipies on youtube.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Just remember if you buy the seed you will need to grind it. They are to small to chew up so if you put them in whole they will come out of you whole and you will not have any health benefit from them.
    I buy the flax seed meal, it is more convenient.
    Like others have said it is a good source of fiber and Omega 3.

You can also switch out some of the fats/oils in baked goods. The ratio is 1:3, take out 1TBL oil and add 3TBL flax seed meal. I do this in pancakes, banana bread, muffins, scones... No one ever knows the difference. In fact my banana bread only uses whole wheat flour. People always love it. Even after I tell them there is no white flour! For those that think wheat is icky it's always fun when they find out it can be good!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I use it for fiber. I slip some in my daughter's food when she's not looking because she always has trouble with constipation.