Want to start eating cleaner and working out..tips?

Options
I live with my family and we are limited financially so I have to plan around what we have and without gym membership ect. I don't eat too unhealthy now I just want to lose the final 10-15 pounds and look more fit. I have lost 42 pounds so far and I just want to have a better lifestyle. Tips?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Losing weight isn't about eating clean, it's about eating in a calorie deficit.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You have already lost 42lbs, stick with what you are doing. You look good! As far as workouts with no access to gyms, use nature. Walking, running, bodyweight resistance (ie push ups, sit ups, dips). You will find heaps of resources on youtube.

Amazing how relaxing it is to walk/run along the beach, in a park etc.

Good luck :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I cleaned up my diet by stopping buying ultra processed foods and switching to cooking from scratch, which is cheaper anyway. I also have an extensive garden, but people not blessed with my backyard who want to grow things can start with herbs in containers. Fresh herbs make a huge difference to a meal.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Many of us on MFP don't have gym memberships. Google YAYOG, Convict Training and Nerd Fitness for body-weight exercises.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You have already lost 42lbs, stick with what you are doing. You look good! As far as workouts with no access to gyms, use nature. Walking, running, bodyweight resistance (ie push ups, sit ups, dips). You will find heaps of resources on youtube.

Amazing how relaxing it is to walk/run along the beach, in a park etc.

Good luck :)

I agree. You already lost 42 lbs so you are obviously doing something right. Figure out what it or they are and stick with it. I do have a gym membership but i also workout at home by doing crunches, burpees and pushups. I also take walks and go on hikes whenever i can. I actually do more working out at home then i do with the gym, my gym just has massage chairs and it feels real nice after doing extensive workouts.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If you are in the US there are sport courts all around. You can burn a ton of calories by playing pick up games with other people. Hours go by fast. 30 minutes on the treadmill feels like an eternity to me. Haha.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    you can also just walk around
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! That is an amazing loss, girl!

I for the most part changed my lifestyle and eat cleaner and it doesn't break the bank. That is great you are giving it a go. Check your store ads. I buy meat on sale, separate into meal size and freeze. I buy frozen vegetables and come garden season, I plant, harvest and freeze. I never got into canning, though :-( I do buy dressings, condiments, bbq sauce, and packet gravy so I'm sure that's where I fail at 100% clean eating. lol

As far as working out, there are so many YouTube workouts and you don't need a gym or equipment. "Fitness Blender" is really good. The sky is the limit with them. I like to follow the community boards where our network of people post their favorite free YouTube workouts. You will always find a new website to try out;-)

Free MFP and free workouts! Who knew a healthier life can come free and so easily!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you want to "clean" up your diet, its easiest to stick to whole foods like fruit, veg, meat, fish, nuts etc. Personally I'd still eat dairy to get calcium too, just less processed stuff like plain Greek yogurt and good quality cheese. It doesn't need to be expensive if you look at the offers in the shops, and you can also get a lot of this from the freezer aisle. Cut out the obvious things that you know are rubbish, but learn to read labels better too. You'd be surprised at what crap is in things that look healthy, and equally how good other things are (for example, cereals often shock me, so learn to pick better ones that you still enjoy).

You need a varied diet to get a good range of minerals and vitamins, so try not to be too restrictive, and try to include a nice range of natural colour in your food.

Basically, anything you eat just ask yourself "is this nourishing". If the answer is YES, then go ahead.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I live with my family and we are limited financially so I have to plan around what we have and without gym membership ect. I don't eat too unhealthy now I just want to lose the final 10-15 pounds and look more fit. I have lost 42 pounds so far and I just want to have a better lifestyle. Tips?

don't worry about "clean" eating that can get very expensive.

Log your calories watch macros for health and nutrition ensuring you hit the minimums and that really is it.

No need to give up anything other than that extra helping of food.

I eat mostly home cooked foods, but I don't give up pre-packaged foods as sometimes I need something quick.

I grow lots of my own foods (that takes a lot of time) and cook a lot (expensive).

as for working out you don't need a gym membership I haven't had one the entire time I have been on MFP.

I walk/run outside in the warmer weather, I do videos such as 30 day Shred or go to fitnessblender.com for workouts and I lift at home.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    As for the whole 'clean' eating thing, I'll just leave this here ;)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1