Mid day snack

Options
jennys11
jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
I'm having the hardest time after 3:30p to eat well. What's an awesome filling midday snack that will hold me over until dinner? This time is messing me up in my weight loss.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Embrace hunger. Nothing wrong with being a little hungry or .............have a cup of tea.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Today at that time I had 100 calories worth of ALMONDS.
    I make my own baggies. 16.7 grams for 100 calories.
    They wipe out my hunger
    Sometimes I have a glass of skim milk, or a low fat cheese stick.
    Protein seems to be the trick for me.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For an afternoon snack at work I usually have a large Orange around 170 gram and 80 calories or a couple of Kiwi at 150 gram and 90 calories
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What do you like? How many calories do you have? What do you find filling?

I usually only have 200 calories for a snack and a protein bar is the most filling for me for that amount (besides salad, but I can't snack on a salad on the go and I have normally just had one for lunch).
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've started having a cup of tea around that time with a handful of nuts, dried fruit or veggies and houmous. I found this really helped as I was getting sleepy around that time. I feel like it gives me a bit more energy till dinner time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    Here's my usual ...

2:00 pm - lunch

3:30 pm - yoghurt
    4:30 pm - apple (or other fruit)
    6:00 pm - cottage cheese, cucumber & another raw veg like carrots or radishes
    6:30 pm - ryvita crackers (2) with margarine

Walk or other exercise

8:00 pm - dinner
  • jennys11
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

7a breakfast
    11:30a lunch
    330-4 snack
    630/7 dinner

The tough part is the snack. I either skip it or eat something and can't feel full. Just thinking of different ideas. Struggle is real!
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Perhaps eat more satiating foods that won't temp you to want a snack? Or just....snack, but make good choices when snacking. And drink plenty of water. What would you normally eat??
  • jennys11
    Options
    Sample day (I'm vegan FYI)

7a Breakfast: Ezekiel English muffin with almond butter (250 cals)

11:30a Lunch: salad with tempeh tuna salad (400 cals)

330-4p Snack, the struggle: nuts/fruit (150-200 cals)

630-7p Dinner: tofu, veggies, quinoa (400 cals)

The snack is the killer. If I'm very hungry, I will over eat. Then dinner is ruined and it's a downward spiral. I just need to stay focused during the time between snack and dinner.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So it makes sense just to snack rather than risk over eating later in the day. Consistency over time will get you to your goal. The food you eat sounds great tho. Keep it up.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have some snack bags with 20g of raisins that I take to the office for morning and afternoon snacks.
  • Megeffer
    Megeffer Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't the best thing, but I usually just grab a snack at about 4 and it's usually a p3 lunchable protein pack. 110-190 calories. Holds me over until 730ish when dinner is.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I eat unsweetened dried fruit (easy to keep in my desk) and I make sure it's something I don't like that much so I won't overeat it. There's no way I would trust myself with something too yummy (like dried mango!) at 4pm LOL. All my other meals are tasty and satisfying, though.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Anything you like that fits your goals. I have two snacks a day, one prior to lunch and one for the afternoon, right around 4. I chose cucumber slices and hardboiled eggs for today, with an optional slim fast shake if I need more. Be flexible with yourself and feed your body when it's hungry.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That time of the day is usually the worst for me as well. These are the things that fill me up, for around ~200 calories each:

- a Kind bar
    - cup of instant oatmeal (I've been eating Kodiak Cakes Oatmeal Unleashed + protein)
    - an avocado and/or a cheese stick
  • chad23jl
    chad23jl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think maybe add in two small snacks during the day...one around 915ish and another around 130 or so....going 1130 to 330 without anything is a long time....I try to eat a little something about every 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I find a spoonful of peanut butter really helps curb any hunger issues I have had in the past.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I totally just wrote a long post and then realized you said you were vegan.

Tbh from your daily schedule, I'd suggest eating a little earlier. It's 4+hours between lunch and a snack, but only 2 hours between snack and dinner. If you have time to move it up, definitely do by an hour or so.

Also, if overeating is a problem, clear out your desk of snacks and only bring 1-2 snacks per day, so there's no way for you to go over.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I have either almonds, string cheese, Baby Bel light, or a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese with one saltine. Any of those usually keeps me satisfied until dinner. Don't forget to drink your water too.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Embrace hunger. Nothing wrong with being a little hungry or .............have a cup of tea.

i agree. i'm not too good at following that advice, but i agree with it. :wink:
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ezekial bread with 1/4 avocado spread on with sliced tomato is delish.