"Steps" question!

Options
I purchased a Fitbit HR and synced it to here. I'm curious about how steps work. Myfitnesspal obviously counts your steps as exercise, but does it really create enough of a deficit? When I've burned this many calories just from walking around and going about my day, do I need to eat more? Should I still work out? Sorry, this might seem silly, but I'm curious what everyone else does. I've attached a photo of my day. Thanks!

ei72zf0ofjuy.jpeg

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Did you select Sedentary when choosing an activity level in MFP? Looks like the Fitbit is telling you that you aren't sedentary. Although, tbh, the upward adjustment does seem a little high.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    And I'd eat my 1450 and some of the exercise calories, depending on how hungry I was.
  • chiquitatarita
    chiquitatarita Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That seems like a lot, I also use the charge HR. Today I had over 15,000 steps and it only added 226 calories. Even on days when I go running (between 4-10 miles), it doesn't add anywhere near 1,000 calories. Hope you get it figured out.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Is this your first day with the Fitbit? Did you set your activity level the same on MFP and Fitbit?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    EddieP50 wrote: »

Thank you @EddieP50. I've been trying to find this article and couldn't.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot, I also use the charge HR. Today I had over 15,000 steps and it only added 226 calories. Even on days when I go running (between 4-10 miles), it doesn't add anywhere near 1,000 calories. Hope you get it figured out.

It depends on the persons weight too. So far today I've done 13,600 steps, and I've got an extra 597 calories. I'm 147lbs and use a fitbit zip.
    it's only 12pm here, I've got the whole rest of the day to go yet..

• heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    That is similar to what it gives me for that number of steps. If you click the more info part, it will explain that it gives the adjustment because of the difference between what mfp think you'll burn based on your activity level you selected, and what fitbit says you actually burn. Whether or not it is accurate only you could tell by accurately tracking what you eat and seeing what happens with your weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The 957 calorie adjustment is the difference between your Fitbit's estimate of your daily energy use and what you told MFP it would be.

The number of steps is another piece of data passed from Fitbit to MFP. As Fitbit's record more than "steps" the two are connected but not identical.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I usually get about 250 extra calories from 10k steps. I'm set to sedentary and I'm short and in healthy BMI. 900+ seems like a lot but it's not impossible depending on your height and weight I guess ( you did not share that info).
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Also check out the FitBit group here, loads of good help & info.
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Depends on how tall you are and how much you weigh! My Fitbit HR gives me around 500 extra calories from 10k steps (set on sedentary). I'm 5ft 6, 177lbs.
  • Asil_Le
    Asil_Le Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I pretty much always get between 400 and 500 extra calories for 10-11K steps. I'm 5'4" and 130lbs. I have MFP and my Fitbit set to sedentary.
  • gettinghealthyandwell
    gettinghealthyandwell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the Fit Bit Hr also and it records calories burned for all day, even if your sleeping and sitting.