calories vs carbs

Options
so ive never been one to watch my carbs. i did weight watchers before and it worked wonderfully. i enjoy this site and as its tracking my food, im noticing that im doing well with my calorie count (and with my workouts im usually alittle under) but usually go over on my carbs...could this keep me from loosing the weight?

Replies

• circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    This is always a hot topic... so you'll get different answers.
    For me, yes it would slow my weight loss. Some people are more sensitive to carbs than others. You'll have to see what works best for you.
  • Meglm1117
    Meglm1117 Posts: 70
    Options
    I agree, everyone is different! For me, I had to watch my carbs in order to lose weight. It didn't seem to matter how healthy I ate and how much I worked out, if I ate too many carbs, I would not lose. My carb range is between 100-150! That seems to help for me!
  • sheroar50
    sheroar50 Posts: 9
    Options
    it can be an individual thing....but getting your calories is more important than hitting your carbs....if you are not getting the calories you need your body will go into starvation mode and store those extra carbs as fat!!! i love this site cause you can work around that kind of thing and track what works best for you!! good luck and keep up the good work!! tanya, from lansing
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Calories are what really counts for weight loss, but if you don't get enough protein you will lose more muscle and less fat than you would if you ate more protein.

FYI, MFP already sets the limit for carbs really high, so if you are going over you are most likely getting too much, unless you are a competitive Long distance runner you don't need more carbs than MFP defaults to.
  • Akerman
    Akerman Posts: 16
    Options
    It really depends on a few things like what are your current stats...age, weight, height. What your goals are in terms of weight loss and more importantly the type of carbs that you are eating and most importantly the time at which you eat those carbs.
    Timing of your carbs are very important and sometimes mis-understood. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I love the nutrition side of things.
  • ljsmamma07
    ljsmamma07 Posts: 30
    Options
    Calories are what really counts for weight loss, but if you don't get enough protein you will lose more muscle and less fat than you would if you ate more protein.

FYI, MFP already sets the limit for carbs really high, so if you are going over you are most likely getting too much, unless you are a competitive Long distance runner you don't need more carbs than MFP defaults to.

im not sure if i would be considered long distance...i try to run at least 2 miles a day...i love my bread and pasta...but even without eating that i seem to go over. so i guess i need to see what is going on! im trying to figure out why it worked so well on weight watchers...
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I agree, everyone is different! For me, I had to watch my carbs in order to lose weight. It didn't seem to matter how healthy I ate and how much I worked out, if I ate too many carbs, I would not lose. My carb range is between 100-150! That seems to help for me!

It makes perfect sense and same thing happened to me. I have to hover around 100g of carbs a day to see sustainable weight loss
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

im not sure if i would be considered long distance...i try to run at least 2 miles a day...i love my bread and pasta...but even without eating that i seem to go over. so i guess i need to see what is going on! im trying to figure out why it worked so well on weight watchers...

You will still lose weight, as that is based on calories, but if you don't get enough protein or fat you may have other issues, as both are essential, and if you don't eat enough protein you risk burning a large % of muscle, not just fat, while running.
  • ljsmamma07
    Options

You will still lose weight, as that is based on calories, but if you don't get enough protein or fat you may have other issues, as both are essential, and if you don't eat enough protein you risk burning a large % of muscle, not just fat, while running.

im usually good on protein...i dont eat alot of meat but do well eating beans and eggs.
  • ljsmamma07
    Options
    well crap. like today! i am still 700 calories away from my goal for the day but already over 100 carbs. and ive not even had dinner!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I know that I do much better when I work on eating more protein throughout the day. I'm definitely not a no-carb type, but by eating more protein I am fuller, do better working out, and i have great success with my exercise. Protein is also harder for your body to digest, so that will keep you fuller longer, and you will burn more calories while ingesting it.

I really believe strongly in getting a lot of protein throughout the day, at each meal. I will usually have a protein shake with my breakfast (mostly because it's low-calorie and high protein, and tastes awesome), then a little protein with each meal (maybe almonds, egg, meat, protein bar) and some veggies with each meal.

Just my take.