Food Logging Pet Peeves

daryan1203
daryan1203 Posts: 15 Member
My biggest pet peeve is not knowing if restaurant salads I log include dressing or not. What other issues or challenges have folks come across?

Replies

• kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    - The stupid database with stuff coming in volume and not grams.
    - How the search works - I've wasted so much time thinking I had to make a new entry when there was actually one, that for some reason didn't show up in the search.
    - Wasting 10 minutes trying to find the correct entry for the piece of meat I'm logging (I want LEAN CENTER PORK CHOPS COOKED HOW HARD IS IT? GOSH).
    - The *!%!$&% recipe builder that won't save my changes or adds random units to my entries for no reason.
    - My recipes not coming up automatically when doing a search, so I have to find them 5 pages down in the recipe list. Bleh.

Could not agree more!!! I had a great recipe for marinated green beans I wanted to get to over the weekend. I also have 29 pages of recipes. Didn't find it. BOO! :s
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Dana_E wrote: »
    I hate the recipe builder. I usually have to go through and change 90% of the entries on imported recipes. Why does the entry for one clove of garlic have 1,437 calories? And why does it replace "onion" with "French onion soup with slice of baguette Sodexo campus" or some such nonsense. My salt always gets changed to "butter, salted". Super annoying.

Yep. I have to "search for alternate" for every single ingredient. Anytime I try to use banana in something, the first one to pop up is 1 banana for 1000+ calories. Oh yep, that must be the one!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Recipe builder, when it works, still only keeps track of the ingredients and their quantities. I use an app and website called Pepperplate. Using the website, you can easily import recipes from a large number of websites, or add your own manually, including cooking directions.

When I'm at the supermarket, I'll look at recipes on the pepperplate app to make sure I have all the ingredients. It's also easy to share recipes with anyone else who uses pepperplate.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    You can log many restaurant salads "no dressing" and also "no dressing no croutons". I know because I've done it.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    You can't add your existing recipes to new recipes anymore. Like I have a default recipe for pizza dough, I don't want to add the ingredients all over again if I'm making homemade pizza with that same recipe.
  • daryan1203
    daryan1203 Posts: 15 Member
    You can log many restaurant salads "no dressing" and also "no dressing no croutons". I know because I've done it.

Yes, this is correct, but how do you know if the original included dressing or not? Maybe logging the "no dressing" version subtracts calories for the dressing, but the dressing wasn't included in the first place. It's the same problem in my mind.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2016
    64crayons wrote: »
    Recipe builder, when it works, still only keeps track of the ingredients and their quantities. I use an app and website called Pepperplate. Using the website, you can easily import recipes from a large number of websites, or add your own manually, including cooking directions.

When I'm at the supermarket, I'll look at recipes on the pepperplate app to make sure I have all the ingredients. It's also easy to share recipes with anyone else who uses pepperplate.
    Thanks! I was about to start looking for a new recipe for next week. I'll look into this after I find something. The recipe builder is just annoying and I accidentally deleted my recipe bookmarks a while back.

Some entries have a serving size like this: 1/2 cup (28grams)
    Sometimes, I'm given the option to log as grams but it doesn't allow me to save. If I am somehow able to, the entry deletes itself when I open up the app or check the desktop site.

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I hate the recipe builder. I usually have to go through and change 90% of the entries on imported recipes. Why does the entry for one clove of garlic have 1,437 calories? And why does it replace "onion" with "French onion soup with slice of baguette Sodexo campus" or some such nonsense. My salt always gets changed to "butter, salted". Super annoying.

Yeah, the garlic thing is crazy. Why can't someone delete that? I think someone did it on purpose just to screw with people! I just leave the damn garlic out, it's negligible anyhow and now worth the aggravation.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I log primarily through the web site.
    The recipe builder has issues that have already been mentioned.
    Not being able to quickly look through the large number of recipes I've entered to edit, view ingredients or nutritional information. If we could sort the list alphabetically, open the recipe for editing from the food diary or just do a search through our own recipe list by keyword or something that'd be nice.
    I hate using the app to log or even look at my food diary. It makes me want to throw things. On the app when I try to scroll down it usually flips to the next day before I get to the bottom.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member

I have the same frustration! Sometimes it takes me longer to add and manipulate and edit the recipe than it does to cook it. It's such a time warp.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member

I'm frankly shocked you can get the recipe builder to import any recipe at all. So far that's been impossible for me.
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Trying to track foods (dining out) when I really have no idea of the weight or ingredients.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member

This is extremely irritating and happens all of the time! I wish MFP tried to match ingredients intelligently.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    logging pet peeves...*kitten* that add in entries that are so incorrect.

I find the import for recipes works wonderful.
    If I order something "without" one of the ingredients I just use a negative entry....ie -1 salad dressing
    I very rarely have issues with logging...but that one I mentioned gets me...esp when I see others are using it.