Should I count gum calories?

Options
So a lot of times I will get the urge to snack, I'm not hungry, I'm just bored sitting at my desk at work all day. When I am at home doing things I'm fine, it's just when I'm here sitting at work. So I started chewing gum. It seems to help because it's kind of like I'm snacking on something but yet not. So do I count the calories from the gum? If it matters, I chew Mentos squeeze with the 99% real fruit juice filling and it has less than 5 calories per piece...

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether or not you SHOULD, but I don't. Never have, either. And it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • januarykim
    januarykim Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hope you burn about 5 calories while chewing! (lotsa muscles in the jaw/mouth area!)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    how many do you have a day? If it is just one then i wouldnt but if you are a one pack a day person then yes you should.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    how many do you have a day? If it is just one then i wouldnt but if you are a one pack a day person then yes you should.

It's usually two... One in the morning and one in the afternoon
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    if you're having like 300 calories worth of gum a day, then maybe you should start logging....

but if you're having 50ish a day, then i wouldn't worry...
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Most gum is around 5 calories a piece. Honestly, I don't think you need to count it. If it is weighing on your mind though, walk up and down a flight of stairs... :)
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I DON'T COUNT IT. YOU DON'T SWALLOW IT, DO YOU?LOL:laugh:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    something I wondered, is there really calories if you dont swallow the gum?
  • jv6271
    jv6271 Posts: 5
    Options
    I would think there would be, because you may not be eating the gum, but you are getting the sugar from it.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If you are chewing it for more than 30 minutes you should log it in as exercise.lol
  • Gemiinii
    Gemiinii Posts: 11
    Options
    While you're chewing the gum, you release the sugary liquids which you swallow which is how you get the calories from gum, if you were curious.
    But really, as long as you're not have 10+ pieces, don't worry about it.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't. My gum has usually anywhere between 3 (Trident Vitality Rejuve) to 5 (Trident Vitality Awaken - Peppermint With Ginseng ) calories a piece depending on what flavor. I also add my organic peppermint extract that I put in my water even though it doesn't have any calories.

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter