When Did You First Notice Change?

Options
I started MFP officially sometime in early March when my weight was around 209-211 pounds (I was a bit heavier than that in February, but it was due to water weight I believe)

Now in May, the scale shows me at 198-200 pounds (unless my scale is slowing killing itself, showing me inaccurate readings as time goes on). Yet even after that change, i don't really notice a difference in the mirror and was wondering if others felt this way when they were/are losing weight? I'm started to doubt that I've even lost weight, even though the scale shows differently.

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    You should definitely notice in how your clothes fit. I'm down under 10lbs and pants much more comfortable.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    alexreyn13 wrote: »
    I started MFP officially sometime in early March when my weight was around 209-211 pounds (I was a bit heavier than that in February, but it was due to water weight I believe)

Now in May, the scale shows me at 198-200 pounds (unless my scale is slowing killing itself, showing me inaccurate readings as time goes on). Yet even after that change, i don't really notice a difference in the mirror and was wondering if others felt this way when they were/are losing weight? I'm started to doubt that I've even lost weight, even though the scale shows differently.

I've lost 26lbs and I don't always see the change in the mirror. My clothes are only just now fitting really differently, but I'm at a much higher weight than you. Sometimes we don't see reality in the mirror.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me it was more like 'oh wow, I remember having a roll here, now it's gone'. But if you ask me, I still haven't really noticed the change and I've lost 80 pounds. I have to look at pictures or try my old clothes to remind myself that I was bigger... It's just really odd.

So yeah, take pictures, basically.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I've lost 38 pounds and don't feel it. I went back to wearing my old gardening pants to get positive reinforcement. I put some clippers in the pockets and they started to slide down my hips :dizzy:

Take progress pictures and measure yourself against "fat" jeans.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 60 and there are days that I really don't feel like it. Especially on a day to day basis, no, I don't notice a thing.

But I put on a business suit just on Monday that I had not worn in a year, and it's WAY too big. Off to the tailor it went.

You probably won't notice day to day. But put all those days together over a year (or more) and there will be a significant difference.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For me it was more like 'oh wow, I remember having a roll here, now it's gone'. But if you ask me, I still haven't really noticed the change and I've lost 80 pounds. I have to look at pictures or try my old clothes to remind myself that I was bigger... It's just really odd.

So yeah, take pictures, basically.

I'm the exact same way. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I take pics in the same outfits and that's when I see the difference. I think I was big for so long until my mind just sees me as that way.

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure yourself, and unless you have one of those 3 way directional mirrors you won't be able to see all the places you are losing weight. I started at 270 and it seemed like 30, 40 lbs gone was when I really noticed. Bra seemed to be lose first! My back now is much smaller but i can't get around there to look!
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am only 28 lbs down so far, but already the old trousers are silly loose from a start of 263lbs and 5'7". Not quite down a trouser size yet though.

It is more noticeable for me on the extremities, so arms, knees etc. I can feel the difference there just in the way I stand and move, which is a great feeling!
  • DeWinn86
    DeWinn86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking pictures of yourself. Front, back and each side. Then take pictures again the following month, or whenever, and put the pictures side by side. Sometimes that's the only way for me to see any changes.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    In 2012 I lost 40 pounds and I never really noticed the change. Everyone else could see it but not me. I think I was in denial about how big I actually was when I started the weight loss. I didn't look in a full length mirror EVER so I never really saw myself. Now I have put all the weight back on so I am starting over. But in 2012 I wore a size 18 pants. Today at the same weight I wear a 14. So the weight must have settled in different areas.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have only lost inches really, maybe 3 or 4lbs but nothing significant but I can totally see it in my waist and the tops of my shoulders! I'm getting very excited, but don't be discouraged if you can't see it yet. First time I lost, I didn't even weigh myself for the first two months so convinced I hadn't lost, but it was over 20lbs (very very heavy at the time, first 50 dropped off in less than 4 months). I'd lost 20lbs and truly didn't see it until the scale said so.

How do your clothes feel? Maybe go try on clothes, the other day I was surprised to fit into a size 18 shorts. I had grabbed 20s too.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Eh about two months after I first started I bought new pants and I went down a pants size. Now after 4 months on MFP and tracking I have noticed in my clothes and when I look in the mirror I can tell a diff.
  • bbordner
    bbordner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    All I know is that when I took my "before" picture, I had to make a conscious effort to not suck my gut in. Seeing the protrusion of flab was discouraging and motivating at the same time. I was thinking, "My God, how did I get this way," followed by, "I will get rid of this."
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I notice a change when I look at older pictures of myself.
  • KrissaJane92
    KrissaJane92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I notice a change when I look at older pictures of myself.

Same here !