Help!

Options
lovelylayers
lovelylayers Posts: 12 Member
I'm doing absolutely horrible. Everywhere I turn people have new advice for what I should do to lose weight. I have a question, does calorie counting really work?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm doing absolutely horrible. Everywhere I turn people have new advice for what I should do to lose weight. I have a question, does calorie counting really work?

Yes, for most it works. The key is to be precise about counting calories. Invest in a food scale and learn how to use it so you are getting the most accurate data. After that, be patient. You won't lose it all in a week, so have realistic expectations.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It worked for me, lost 121 pounds and now maintaining for almost 20 months.

You can do it. :)
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    For me counting has been critical. I had been struggling unsuccessfully for months; tweaking my diet and exercising with no success. Once I started counting and knew where my dietary weak points were I knew what changes to make and have had 3 straight weeks of weight loss (not alot of weight, still losses).
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    yes. Eat less and do more
    Down 31 lbs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Any weight loss method that is reasonably sane, as in making you take in fewer calories than you burn, while at the same time keeping you nourished, will work, if you do it properly. Any method can also be messed up, if you want to.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I was like you my whole life!! I just started yhe keto lifestyle. You should look it up..its awesome
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes calorie counting definitely works, but just make sure that your calories are coming from good whole foods and reduce how much processed food you eat. You've got this!! :)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    seriously unless you have some medical issue it is the only thing. The rest is just gimmicks. The whole goal of any plan regardless of what they say is to reduce your caloric intake. That is the only way the body loses fat. You need to weigh and measure everything you eat, don't forget condiments. Those can add up to be a ton of calories. Stick with it you will lose.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

Yes, it really does. There's good advice here already, especially about a food scale. I'm down 26lbs from counting calories and exercise. Right now I'm on bed rest due to surgery and I'm still losing thanks to my calorie counter here at MFP. You can learn how to eat things you love and still keep them in check. You most definitely can lose weight if you stick with it.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - every time I try something else they turn out to be quick fixes and the weight comes back. I have come to realize that tracking my calorie intake is the only thing that has given me positive results that last, and when I stop the weight comes back.
  • DavidCraven
    DavidCraven Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Yes, because a calorie is a scientific measurment of energy. More energy out than in and your body jas no choice but to burn fat. No because some people stress about calories SOO much that they end up breaking the diet because they just cant take it.

My advice would be to pickup a healthy eating plan, make sure its a good one and stick to it. Ignore all the advice you get it will just drive you mad. Low carb, low fat, i even had a friend tell me about a low protein, high fat, high carb diet once which made me laugh quite hard. There is almost an over saturation of advice on the net

Find what works. Stick with it until it doesnt.