Beginner runner help

Options
coalz
coalz Posts: 308 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Day 2 of C25K and it feels like my left knee is gonna snap! Like the tendons are super tight or something? I feel it in outer front and back side. Also sending referred pain up to my lower left back. I ended up just walking briskly for half today's "run."in what felt like a bit of a limp. Also feels like I am very heavy footed and my feet are aching already. Any suggestions on how to deal would be great. Frustrated that my body can't keep up with my minds goals. Help!

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter if you walk or run. Either is fine just get out and do it. I have done half marathons and I do a walk/jog alternate and still complete it in just over 2 hours.
  • aria_rene
    aria_rene Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are different running tapes you can get for your body and use on your knees. Also after a good run try to ice (especially if you did a run/walk further than your usual). When I started running I sat in my freezing pool waist deep 1-2 times a week for 15 minutes. It really helped with soreness, and knee and shin pains!

-Aria
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Also just take your time it's ok to repeat a week whenever you wan. You'll get there. If you haven't run before it's hard on your legs at first - it gets easier very quickly :smiley:
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    Day 2 of C25K and it feels like my left knee is gonna snap! Like the tendons are super tight or something? I feel it in outer front and back side. Also sending referred pain up to my lower left back. I ended up just walking briskly for half today's "run."in what felt like a bit of a limp. Also feels like I am very heavy footed and my feet are aching already. Any suggestions on how to deal would be great. Frustrated that my body can't keep up with my minds goals. Help!

I'm in Week 8 of c25k, and one of the biggest contributors to my success so far is reading the advice of experienced folks here.

Perhaps the best piece of advice i've read: if you CAN run even more slowly and still be running, SLOW DOWN.

I misunderstood the purpose of a running program when i started. I thought it was all about building my cardio. That's part of it; but just as important is getting your body used to the stress. When someone first starts running, they stress the hell out of their legs, knees, feet, ankles. You can mitigate that a bit by running as slow as possible, and then being sure to take at least one day off for rest, to let those tiny little stresses heal up fully.

When i started, i thought i was going to die during the last few 60-second runs of Week 1 Day 1. Yesterday i ran for 28 minutes consecutively, and i'm at about 243 lbs. Tomorrow, another 28 minutes without a break, and Saturday i'm going to run a full half hour. And i'll make it, by keeping my pace slow enough to succeed.

When you run smartly, you should feel your muscles get sore, but you shouldn't feel joint pain, and you shouldn't be that tight. Make sure you are getting warmed up properly, and during your cool down (after finishing runs), stretch out well. If you continue to feel pain like you're describing, go see a doctor.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can't run because my knees get so sore....that was what I thought when I started too quick. I went out and ran three miles and got sore. Now I run half marathons and feel terrific.
    !) Get fitted for some good running shoes at a running store. You may want to go a bit larger than your normal size or you will lose your toenails like I did. Clock your miles in them (see app below) and replace at about 450 miles, I do start getting knee pain when I go over that distance. I save my receipt and check my miles after a few months
    2) Start walking at a fast pace first and get up to several miles.
    3) Add some jogging intervals into your walks.
    4) Get some headphones and a running app for your phone I use runtastic and listen to music too.
    5) Set your running app to tell you your pace, distance verbally, frequency is adjustable.
    6) at each reading depending frequency start adding in a jog or run for 30 seconds or 1/4 mi
    7) this is over several weeks, take your time and probably very similar to C25K.
    8) as you ease into running play around a bit. Keep the same distance but try to beat yesterday's time & pace. When that gets old or plateaus than add a little distance and don't worry about time as much, just mix it up.
    9) have fun, its rough at first but it can really grow on you and be addictive. I now run 25 miles a week and want to enter a marathon next. Oh, It did help me lose 50 pounds but I started gaining them back when I slacked off a bit.
    Good luck and remember to start slow and build. It also helped me to imagine I was running on eggs and was trying not to break them.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Look for some exercises to strengthen your glutes.
  • jeromeloresco05
    jeromeloresco05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Stretch... and warm up. If 5min brisk walk is not enough do some more. Cold muscles tends to be more prone to injury.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I really appreciate the input and thoughtful tips.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    rakowskidp wrote: »
    Look for some exercises to strengthen your glutes.

And your core too. When I trained for my (one and only!) half marathon I had problems all up and down my left side from ankle/knee to hip and back. My physio pointed out that being weak in the middle means that I'm putting all kinds of stress on those joints (the left is a particular issue due to old injuries), and that being stronger in the core really does help.