Older obese woman with diabetes. This is not the titles I want!

Okay, I am new to discussions and am not even sure how to do this. I wanted to comment on some other posts, but did not figure out how yet. So I was just going to leave the discussions and forget it. But that is the type of behavior that has gotten me to this point!

So what I would really like to find on here is someone or several people who are in the same boat as me. This week I go to the doctor and get my official diagnosis of diabetes. I had a HA1C of 7.3 and she said that is it, come in and get your meter education and discuss what medication I will start.

It is discouraging to say that I am 59 years old and did not do what needed done to avoid this! And even though I knew it was a likely for a while, I was in denial. I cannot afford to be in denial any more, nor do I want to be!

I have conquered so many things in life, this can be conquered too. But it seems to be the hardest. I have been over 200 pounds for half of my life. I stayed at 220 for many years. Now up to 250! I never ever lose more than 20 pounds before quitting. I need to find staying power.

Like I told a friend the other day, I don't know any 85 + year olds who are obese with diabetes. I need to lose to live.

I would like some friends as I said who are in this same boat that wants to encourage and be encouraged.

Thanks for listening whoever is out there!
Mary

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Welcome to MFP! I think that you are on the right track with getting your mind set and having a great reason to do this. I know how you feel about being over 200 lbs. I spent most of my adult life in the 200 range and at 44 years old being 5'2" it hit me one day that I was going to be just like my mother!!! No, only I could decide not to be just like her overweight with high blood pressure and diabetes - living with that super sized pill caddy. Everyday is a chance to do different and better. Start slow, really looking at what you eat, do you need cheese on that sandwich, will you really enjoy it less? Sodas, juice, heavy fat foods! All things that as times goes on we add a little more to our diets and a little at a time we can remove them from our diets as well. Make changes that you can live with, don't give up things that you enjoy (unless it's for a short period, I do when I find myself overindulging or just need to get a grip) you just need to learn how to have them in moderation. Learn what a serving looks like, I would weigh my food and take pictures so I could learn what a serving looks like.

It can happen and while it can be hard initially in hindsight you'll think what was all the fuss about. If you are active, stay active and if not take that slow as well, remember these are changes that you will need to keep forever.

Best wishes, you can do this!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    You can do it!!

Now is time to learn what a serving size is. (I'm relearning that again myself.) Logging everything is really important -- for losing weight and diabetes. I've lost weight before and gained it back and more. I love food. I realize now that I will be logging the rest of my life if I really want to maintain. So be it. I want to avoid those titles you mentioned, too!

This is a lifelong journey you are starting, and I know you are up to the challenge.
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    I eat a low carb moderate fat moderate protein diet. Have lost 106 in 15 months and my A1C is now 5.1
  • Dis1957
    Dis1957 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everyone!!!! I am starting with logging and figuring out the rich quantities. So after your comments I feel I chose a good place to start.

Thanks again for the encouragement!!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Also look for people who are where you want to be. It will be a subtle encouragement.
  • leyza025
    leyza025 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I was officially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes just last year and it was a turning point for me. My ha1c was 7 and I knew I had to make changes. I've lost 30 lbs and I still need to lose 15-20 more but my blood sugar readings are stable now and losing weight helped. MFP made me more mindful of what I eat and sometimes it's really hard to say no to cakes and pastries haha (my go to comfort food), but tomorrow is another day. If I succumbed yesterday I can change today. We can do it :)
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Dis1957 wrote: »
    Okay, I am new to discussions and am not even sure how to do this. I wanted to comment on some other posts, but did not figure out how yet. So I was just going to leave the discussions and forget it. But that is the type of behavior that has gotten me to this point!

So what I would really like to find on here is someone or several people who are in the same boat as me. This week I go to the doctor and get my official diagnosis of diabetes. I had a HA1C of 7.3 and she said that is it, come in and get your meter education and discuss what medication I will start.

It is discouraging to say that I am 59 years old and did not do what needed done to avoid this! And even though I knew it was a likely for a while, I was in denial. I cannot afford to be in denial any more, nor do I want to be!

I have conquered so many things in life, this can be conquered too. But it seems to be the hardest. I have been over 200 pounds for half of my life. I stayed at 220 for many years. Now up to 250! I never ever lose more than 20 pounds before quitting. I need to find staying power.

Like I told a friend the other day, I don't know any 85 + year olds who are obese with diabetes. I need to lose to live.

I would like some friends as I said who are in this same boat that wants to encourage and be encouraged.

Thanks for listening whoever is out there!
    Mary

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Feel free to add me I was 225 lbs to start, no
    I don't have diebetis but I am Almost 69 years old. It's hard I have been in here for almost 1000 days, it's a long journey and we all need mutual support. Good luck Carol