BBQ ideas??

Options
We're hosting a BBQ this weekend for about 10 people. Any suggestions for healthy side dish alternatives to the usual baked beans, pasta salad, potato salad, green bean casserole?

Replies

• jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for a radish and hard boiled egg salad on allrecipes.com recently that I plan on making as a side dish for my cookout this weekend. I also saw one for grilled radishes that seemed like fun. Posting them both below (if you go to allrecipes.com you can read the reviews with suggestions for each recipe as well:

Grilled radishes

20 ounces radishes, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
    1 cube ice
    salt and pepper to taste
    Preheat the grill for high heat.
    Place the radishes, garlic, butter, and ice cube on a double layer of aluminum foil large enough to wrap contents. Season with salt and pepper. Tightly seal foil around contents.
    Place foil packet on the grill, and cook 20 minutes, or until radishes are tender.

Radish Salad

2 medium shallots, minced
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    4 cups thinly sliced radishes
    1 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley (whole leaves, washed, patted dry, stems discarded), lightly packed
    4 large hard-cooked eggs, in small dice

Directions

Whisk shallots, mustard and vinegar with a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper in a 2-cup measuring cup. Gradually whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream to form a thick dressing. (Can be covered and held at room temperature several hours.)
    Place radishes, parsley and chopped eggs in a medium bowl. (Can be covered and refrigerated for several hours.)
    When ready, toss with dressing, adjust salt, pepper and vinegar to taste, and serve.
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

Someone recommended this site to me the other day and I love it! :)
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Grilled vegetables (bell peppers, onions, squash, zucchini) or corn on the cob with no or light butter.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too becuase I have to bring a side to a company cookout on Friday
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Grilled vegetables (bell peppers, onions, squash, zucchini) or corn on the cob with no or light butter.

Spray butter is wonderful for corn on the cob as well.

We just grilled last night and for dessert I served fresh strawberries and blueberries with light whipped cream. Very 4th of July-ish.

Side note for woja -- I thought the picture at the bottom of your post was yellow squash and red bell peppers. I have never been so wrong in my life. Haha!!
  • CajunCubsFan
    CajunCubsFan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Grill tons of veggies. Pasta salad with tons of veggies and a little pasta (1/2 oz per person) and low fat caesar dressing. Make Kabobs, there great for portion control. Grill Fish. Fresh Fruit salad. For something fun that takes time so you don't eat a lot or have leftovers (to eat when everyone leaves), S'mores: Toast marshmallows, little Dark Chocolate or (if you can forget the chocolate all together) and just use low fat graham crackers. Happy Grilling
  • funk4life
    funk4life Posts: 1
    Options
    Tabbouleh Salad, wonderful, healthy, and vegan! It is also really easy to make, and you can find many recipes on the internet for it.
  • jacs2806
    jacs2806 Posts: 23
    Options
    Grilled Balsamic Green Beans

Fresh or Frozen Green Beans
    Shallot
    Kosher Salt
    Cracked Pepper
    Drizzle of Olive Oil
    Toasted Walnuts
    Balsamic Vinegar

Toss green beans with chopped shallot, salt and pepper. Drizzle a LITTLE olive oil and coat beans. Grill in basket until done. Move to a bowl and toss in toasted walnuts with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
  • CajunCubsFan
    CajunCubsFan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Danielle1978 said

www.skinnytaste.com

Someone recommended this site to me the other day and I love it! :)

Great find!!!
  • jody0912
    jody0912 Posts: 33
    Options
    this corn and black bean salsa is always a huge hit when I make it:

1 can of corn kernels, drained
    1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tbs vegetable oil (or olive)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp splenda
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp chili powder

tastes great right away, and even better after chilling for awhile.
  • KarenStapler
    Options
    We barbequed for 12 last night, and served cantaloupe, cucumbers and corn on the cob as sides. We did have some baked beans and chips for those who wanted them.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I always go with the Mango salsa. It is super delicious and full of antioxidants. (and super easy). Plus I always get loads of compliments on it.

Indredients

1 large mango(es), 1 large, diced
    1 1/2 medium shallot(s), or 1 large, finely chopped
    1 1/2 small jalapeٌo pepper(s), or 1 large, cored, seeded and minced (do not touch seeds with bare hands)
    1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, minced

Instructions
    Combine in a bowl :-)

Or if you want something a bit fancier (with a bit more work) my husband made this the other day and it was amazing...
    ASPARAGUS AND PEA SALAD WITH MINT

This salad is from Epicurious by way of Serious Eats.

If fresh peas are in season, feel free to use them instead of frozen peas. Frozen peas are perfectly tasty, though. Just defrost in a sieve with some hot water. To get nice Parmesan shavings, let the cheese sit out on the counter for 10 or 15 minutes and then use a vegetable peeler.

Serves 4.

1 1/2 cups peas

1 pound asparagus

6 cups salad greens

2 Tbsp chopped mint

1/4 cup shaved Parmesan

8 slices prosciutto, cut in strips

2 Tbsp lemon juice

2 tsp Dijon mustard

1 tsp honey

- salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup olive oil

Whisk together lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey and salt and pepper.

Drizzle in the oil slowly while still whisking to emulsify the dressing.

Test the dressing and adjust seasonings as necessary.

Place salad greens in a large bowl, add chopped mint and peas.

Using the woody end as a handle, hold the asparagus against a cutting board and use a vegetable peeler to make long strips. (These will vary in thickness, which is fine.)

After shaving, you will be left holding the rough end, which can be discarded.

Repeat with all the asparagus and then add the shavings to the salad.

Add sliced prosciutto. Toss with dressing (start with only a portion of the dressing and add more as necessary; the salad may not need all of it).

Top with shaved Parmesan.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    How about a quinoa salad? Add cooked quinoa to cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, olives and onions. Toss with a little feta cheese and Greek dressing. So tasty, no one realizes how healthy it is!
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    All you get over here in England when you go to a bbq is sausages, burgers and chicken (steak if you're lucky or if you bring it yourself!! lol) and basic salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber) lol
  • jacs2806
    Options
    I always go with the Mango salsa. It is super delicious and full of antioxidants. (and super easy). Plus I always get loads of compliments on it.

Indredients

1 large mango(es), 1 large, diced
    1 1/2 medium shallot(s), or 1 large, finely chopped
    1 1/2 small jalapeٌo pepper(s), or 1 large, cored, seeded and minced (do not touch seeds with bare hands)
    1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, minced

Instructions
    Combine in a bowl :-)

Or if you want something a bit fancier (with a bit more work) my husband made this the other day and it was amazing...
    ASPARAGUS AND PEA SALAD WITH MINT

This salad is from Epicurious by way of Serious Eats.

***Love the Mango Recipe. You can also do Watermelon Salsa

Diced watermelon
    Red onion
    Jalapeno
    Cilantro
    Lime juice

If fresh peas are in season, feel free to use them instead of frozen peas. Frozen peas are perfectly tasty, though. Just defrost in a sieve with some hot water. To get nice Parmesan shavings, let the cheese sit out on the counter for 10 or 15 minutes and then use a vegetable peeler.

Serves 4.

1 1/2 cups peas

1 pound asparagus

6 cups salad greens

2 Tbsp chopped mint

1/4 cup shaved Parmesan

8 slices prosciutto, cut in strips

2 Tbsp lemon juice

2 tsp Dijon mustard

1 tsp honey

- salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup olive oil

Whisk together lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey and salt and pepper.

Drizzle in the oil slowly while still whisking to emulsify the dressing.

Test the dressing and adjust seasonings as necessary.

Place salad greens in a large bowl, add chopped mint and peas.

Using the woody end as a handle, hold the asparagus against a cutting board and use a vegetable peeler to make long strips. (These will vary in thickness, which is fine.)

After shaving, you will be left holding the rough end, which can be discarded.

Repeat with all the asparagus and then add the shavings to the salad.

Add sliced prosciutto. Toss with dressing (start with only a portion of the dressing and add more as necessary; the salad may not need all of it).

Top with shaved Parmesan.
  • jacs2806
    Options
    Sorry...still trying to get the hang of this.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Cucuber salad is a great cold salad that can serve as a healthier alternative to cold pasta salads.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/adriennes-cucumber-salad/detail.aspx

I would substitute stevia or splenda (or other sweetener of choice) for the sugar to reduce the calories even more. Also, I think fresh dill would make this even better. I've made it before. It's delicious and went over very well at the potluck lunch I took it to.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    All you get over here in England when you go to a bbq is sausages, burgers and chicken (steak if you're lucky or if you bring it yourself!! lol) and basic salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber) lol

not when I go to BBQs!!!

couscous salads,
    chickpea dhal
    rack of lamb
    squid kebab
    prawn (shrimp) kebab

not a bap in sight!!!!!!