I started a diet and it ended with Binge.

Options
After 5 successful months I lost 6 kg.
My last diet consisted of 1500 calories a day. I didn't eat carbs, snacks, soft drinks..
My food was very healthy.
I was a happy man, the first time I was able to lose weight. I tried to lose weight many times ,But I always failed, or was suffering from a binge or depression.

And suddenly it happened to me again
After so much success, Now binges intensified .and happens to me three times a week.I am in despair, please help me

Replies

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Start by forgiving yourself. Depression is very real and can be hard to cope with. I'm sure you haven't undone 5 months worth of good eating in a week, even with 3 binges. I have lived in this cycle myself and had to start by telling myself I wasn't going on a 'diet' but that I was making a lifestyle change. I feel like this will take a little of the pressure off. Set yourself an attainable, short term goal and work toward that. When you get there, set another one.
    I also went on medication for my depression and anxiety about 18 months ago and about 6 months in I was ready to start taking better care of myself. I still have my off days but they are fewer and further between, and my family now knows about my depression so I can talk to them about it and not keep it to myself.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    During good moments of self-reflection on what is going on at the time of the binge - why do you do it?

Bored, available food, stress, hungry?

If several reasons why it happens or just one - write out on big paper to put somewhere obvious, like kitchen.

What you will do when that happens again. Figure it out right now - don't hope at the moment you'll make a better choice just because you said you need to.

Write down several other options rather than eating that could be done.
    Perhaps distracting stuff, self-fulfilling stuff, getting away from drama to other things - whatever.
    Perhaps questions to ask yourself at that moment. Need big in your face reminders to overcome the big in your brain desires.

Prepare and plan - tools to success.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a big issue. I don't think people on the internet are the solution. Therapy is.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Changing your diet too drastically/depriving yourself of things you enjoy leads to binges for some people, when they've reached their limits.

Moderation is key.
  • vladiii02
    vladiii02 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help me and support me, you're definitely a very good and effective people .
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Eating 1500 is pretty low for a guy so little wonder you caved.

Set yourself to lose less per week. So you get to eat more cal.

log faithfully and accurately...this is not a race, it's a retraining of how you eat, forming better and lasting habits.

• erikwwikstrom
    erikwwikstrom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested therapy to work on your depression. Never a bad idea, in my opinion and experience, to work with someone who can see our lives from the outside. If I might, I'd also suggest thinking about Overeaters Anonymous. OA is like AA, but the addictive substance is food. Same basic idea -- you can be "sober" for a pretty long time and, then, without even realizing how it's happening, find yourself binging again. It's not a lack of will power, or motivation, or understanding ... it is, for some of us at least, an illness. The overeating is a symptom.

Please don't read this as my trying to be all wise and telling you what to do. (I mean I could, but ...
  • vladiii02
    Options
    Thank u all I really appreciate your support.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I binge, there's a reason. For me, it was each time triggered by a failure to get a good breakfast that day. Simple. Perhaps you have a simple explanation in your food log. Have you examined the days of and prior to your binges, as well as your binges, to see if any information stimulates a thought about what might have been the cause of this? It is possible to crave what you need and binge in pursuit of it.
  • vladiii02
    Options
    This time everything went fine, dont know what caused it, especially this time I refused myself to enjoy eating bread, which I wouldnt eat before.
    @JeromeBarry1
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do feel like cutting out any food or food group and labeling it as "bad" for you does hinder my progress over time and leads to binges. I have had to cut out dairy and gluten, because of allergies, but I enjoy healthy gluten free alternatives. Including bread. And dairy free alternatives, because I don't want to eat in a world without cheese.
    Again, keeping in mind that this is a lifestyle change and not a diet is very important. You don't want to make changes you can't sustain in the long run. Bread is okay, as long as you fit it into your macros/calories for the day. A healthy, balanced variety of foods with plenty of solid nutrition is key. And enjoying the occasional treat is very important.
  • simplytree0363
    simplytree0363 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just think, before your new eating plan, EVERY DAY was a binge day. :) Just start your count over and try to break your record for most number of days between binges.