How to break off a binge eating cycle?

Options
So I had been on a healthy diet and was doing very well until I fell off the wagon and began eating unhealthy and binge eating like crazy. This binge eating session has been going on for over a week now. How do I stop this cycle of binge eating and going back to my healthy diet, I was think of fasting for a whole day and then commencing my healthy diet the day after. ANY TIPS?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    No to the fasting. That's a classic binge/restrict cycle. When you said you were "doing very well" how many calories per day were you eating and how tall are you?

Just get through today and start your healthy diet tomorrow.
  • itsLuciaxo
    itsLuciaxo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    No to the fasting. That's a classic binge/restrict cycle. When you said you were "doing very well" how many calories per day were you eating and how tall are you?

Just get through today and start your healthy diet tomorrow.

To answer your question, I am 5'2 and was consuming 1400 calories.
    And after every day the plan was to start my healthy diet over however I have been failing dismally

• Rainbowsunshine26
    Rainbowsunshine26 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sew your lips together! ;)
  • Myjourney2345
    Myjourney2345 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    O man, I have struggled with bingeing my whole life! My weight is normal , but have binged on and off my whole life. The key is to never restrict!!! I know it is hard, but I would eat the calories required to maintain your weight for 2-3 days post binge and than consider cutting 250-500 calories ( not more). I would also eliminate all process sugar and anything that you consider a trigger food. I know the feeling the next day, the post binge feeling... The bloating and self loathing, but you can't give up and you have to force yourself to get outside. Even though I feel terrible I force myself to workout the next day and move on, I know that if I restrict or fast it will only trigger me to binge again. For me, eliminating chocolate ( any form ) has been amazing, just having one piece of chocolate can trigger a whole binge for me. Feel free to contact me privately if you want any additional feedback!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Stick dish soap on it. The food.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you know what's causing it? I typically binge for emotional reasons, so I try to get those things under control if/when I want to get out of the binge.

For me, that typically means the following, in this order -
    1) a good night's sleep. Sometimes easier said than done, but it all starts here
    2) caffeine through the morning + some water. No food. Caffeine keeps my energy high, my mind reasonably focused, and helps with hunger pangs.
    3) a workout that I at least reasonably enjoy on my lunch break.

That's usually enough to at least get me out of the emotional ditch. Then I just need a little bit of willpower to get through the rest of the day. If I can do that, then I'm usually good.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    itsLuciaxo wrote: »
    So I had been on a healthy diet and was doing very well until I fell off the wagon and began eating unhealthy and binge eating like crazy. This binge eating session has been going on for over a week now. How do I stop this cycle of binge eating and going back to my healthy diet, I was think of fasting for a whole day and then commencing my healthy diet the day after. ANY TIPS?

The only tip I can tell you is this is one day at a time. Record everything you eat, weigh/measure, even if you're over goal. You can do this, just keep trying, tell yourself you can do this. I have to all the time lol
  • Myjourney2345
    Myjourney2345 Posts: 116 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Do you know what's causing it? I typically binge for emotional reasons, so I try to get those things under control if/when I want to get out of the binge.

1) a good night's sleep. Sometimes easier said than done, but it all starts here
    2) caffeine through the morning + some water. No food.

That's usually enough to at least get me out of the emotional ditch. Then I just need a little bit of willpower to get through the rest of the day. If I can do that, then I'm usually good.

While I don't agree with the morning fast, I think the most difficult part is getting through he first day post binge, when you're feeling terrible. I agree with you that working out and moving on while feeling like crap is the best way to recover!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    mg2012 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »

2) caffeine through the morning + some water. No food.

While I don't agree with the morning fast, I think the most difficult part is getting through he first day post binge, when you're feeling terrible. I agree with you that working out and moving on while feeling like crap is the best way to recover!

When I'm on track, it's how I prefer to eat anyways, so it's not abnormal for me. Typically, if I eat in the morning, it's BECAUSE I'm binging.
  • rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Please do not beat yourself up. Just start now. If you don't think you have the willpower, read this. Mind-blowing in my opinion. If you think you can do it, you can:

http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2011/01/10/how_your_percep/

What I took away from this is that if I replace "willpower" with willingness my "willpower" is unlimited- I may not think I have this esoteric resource, but I can be willing. Meal by meal, day by day, I can be willing...you know it gets easier based on your own experience.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Get on the scale! Nothing sobers me up more than looking at the numbers and knowing I have to try harder to stop. I used to binge eat regularly and without satisfaction. Then I heard a wonderful doctor say " You can't stop a relationship with food. We need food to survive. It's not like alcohol, smoking or other habits. We need to control the food and portion sizes. Nobody else can do this for us. YOU have the power in this situation." Though it can be a struggle on some days more than others, I fight every single day. YOU CAN FIGHT IT TOO! The POWER is in your hands. <3
  • JordanHealthCoach
    JordanHealthCoach Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The thing that helps me "reset" is to start a new day and not eat until my body physically tells me I'm hungry (mostly just tummy growling). I will try to do this throughout the day, but mostly just breakfast. This helps me get away from just mindless/emotional eating and more to mindful eating. Does it work all the time? No. But it does help for the most part to feel back in "control" and increase my confidence again.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Log it. The numbers should have a sobering effect.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Start with your next meal. You can eat one healthy meal at a time. Don't restrict yourself so much though that you can't enjoy life. Have something sweet or something that you crave once a week. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. 90% of healthy eating is better than falling apart and eating everything in sight and feeling guilty about it later and then thinking I've done it, might as well stop trying. Just start fresh and set a day this week to have a treat. Make it a treat you have to go and get somewhere though. Don't keep it in your house to tempt you. You can do it. We all go through this at times.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Go into the bathroom, look yourself in the mirror with your most disappointed Mom face and say, "SNAP! YOU ARE AN ADULT! STOP THIS *kitten*! DO YOU HEAR ME?!"

Believe it or not, there is good evidence that this actually works!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to a mirror and just getting out of your head during a binge. Fasting isn't a good idea right now. You're showing mindfulness just by posting so now just know that you're in control, not food.