Wow im in the minority

My weight fluctuates so much I stopped weighing myself. No I rely on how I look in the mirror and how my clothes fit. I am tempted from time to time but everytime I do it's has fluctuated hence a waste of my energy...one day I feel great cod I have lost weight then a few days later I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong when it goes back up again

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Ok
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Thanks for sharing
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    You're clearly very misinformed about the whole process.
  • spence_yvonne
    spence_yvonne Posts: 7 Member
    Why? Please enlighten me!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    You seem to be saying that you don't use scales. Rather, you use alternate cues to fitness such as the fit of your clothes and the way you feel. You seem to be saying that this works for you. If that is what you are saying, I will say that I wonder why you found this site.

Are you trying to lose weight? Are you trying to control the fluctuations of your weight? Are you trying to just understand what's happening with your crazy weight? One thing you have working against you is your gender. A woman's menses plays havoc with her weight and appetite, causing both water gain and sorely provoking excess eating. A human's diet, especially with great swings in calorie, sodium, and fiber intake from day to day, can also cause strange weight fluctuations.

You can use this site's Food Diary and Reports resources to plan and record your food, weight, and nutrition. You can use this information to gain understanding and control over the relationship you have with food. Remember, you're the boss in this relationship. Make food obey you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    You know that weight fluctuates naturally up to three pounds (for me; others have even larger swings) from one day to the next, unrelated to fat loss/gain, right?

And I have to ask: What's that about being in the minority? Does it have something to do with weighing, or weight fluctuations?
  • spence_yvonne
    I have gained 20lbs gradually over the last few years ago. 5 years ago I would say I was at the peak of my fitness and felt great. I remember how I looked and felt. I still have all my clothes and if I don't fit in them soon and may as well recycle them which was be a shame since a lot of them have only been worn a few times.

I have recently started weight training as I have been told repeatedly that you burn more calories the more muscle you have on your body. As we all know muscle weighs more than fat so in all likelihood I will gain weight. However since the muscle I gain will make me leaner and look lean I have to go by how I look and how my clothes fit will be my guide.

This app helps me make the correct choices diet wise ensuring I don't consume too much fat which has hindered my progress.
  • spence_yvonne
    edited May 2016
    @kommodevaran My comment regarding being in the minority is that I don't weigh myself regularly.....it drives me crazy looking at the ups and downs of my scale
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    :huh:
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    :huh:
    Same.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Weight fluctuations can be frustrating. That's why I use Trendweight. It helps to keep things in perspective when the numbers seem to be going crazy.
  • spence_yvonne
    Trendweight I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    I have gained 20lbs gradually over the last few years ago. 5 years ago I would say I was at the peak of my fitness and felt great. I remember how I looked and felt. I still have all my clothes and if I don't fit in them soon and may as well recycle them which was be a shame since a lot of them have only been worn a few times.

I have recently started weight training as I have been told repeatedly that you burn more calories the more muscle you have on your body. As we all know muscle weighs more than fat so in all likelihood I will gain weight. However since the muscle I gain will make me leaner and look lean I have to go by how I look and how my clothes fit will be my guide.

This app helps me make the correct choices diet wise ensuring I don't consume too much fat which has hindered my progress.

Things you should know

1) Muscle doesn't actually weigh more than fat, it's just denser. (yes this is just word semantics)
    2) Unless you're in a caloric surplus, you're not going to gain weight. You might put on some water weight due to your muscles holding onto water to repair themselves, but unless you're eating more you shouldn't be gaining a significant amount of weight. A average woman can only put on pound of muscle per month and that's under optimal conditions (structured lifting program and caloric surplus).
    3) 1lb of muscle only burns about 6-12 more calories than 1lb of fat, so you shouldn't expect strength training to dramatically increase your bmr.
    4) Fat does not make you fat.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    I'm also a fan of trendweight. I've lost hardly any weight, but it shows the fat decreases and lean increases and helps "trend" the fluctuations.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    since it's already been seconded, I'll third trendweight. It's very helpful as my diet and exercise regimen can easily swing me 5-7lbs in a day depending on how much/what I've eaten and my level of hydration.
  • spence_yvonne
    Thanks for the feedback. Ultimately, if I end up looking leaner and stronger I will be very happy. As I said from the beginning I go by how I look and feel not what the scales are telling me.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    @kommodevaran My comment regarding being in the minority is that I don't weigh myself regularly.....it drives me crazy looking at the ups and downs of my scale

So if a person weighs themselves once per week that's not "regularly"? The only fluctuation I see by doing this once a week is a lower weight each time.