Calorie burn

Options
marymitchell40
marymitchell40 Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am so confused right now... How come I can work out for an hour and only burn 450 calories and I see other people burn more calories in that time frame

Replies

• ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Care to elaborate?
  • marymitchell40
    Options
    Ok I just work out for an hour at the gym and the group I was with burn more calories then me in that hour?? One lady did the same things as me and she burn like 800 calories
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    Bigger bodies burn more calories than smaller bodies. If that lady was 4 inches taller than you and weighed 50 pounds more than you she will burn more calories.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    You can't really compare your calorie burn with someone else's.
  • marymitchell40
    Options
    She was skinny, lol, I am the biggest one in the group
  • marymitchell40
    Options
    Do u think it's cause I stop to breathe and they just keep going and going like a battery
  • Akilah_green
    Akilah_green Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating the calories burned? Are you using a heart rate monitor or just the read out from the machines?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Nothing other than fancy lab machines can really tell how many calories you burn. Heart monitors and gym equipment are just bad estimaters.
  • marymitchell40
    Options
    The heart rate monitor
  • marymitchell40
    Options
    And it's like a big screen in the gym the list every one calories burn
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I found a trick. When i work out i try to flex as many muscles as i can. It makes me breath harder and i can definitely feel it in my muscles. You can try this next time you workout. And yes when you take time to breath you are allowing your body a break. If you can try to push yourself, unless you really really need a breather.

You can also try HIIT, that should boost your calories burned. HIIT is going regular speed for a few minutes then upping the resistance and go very hard for a minute, rinse and repeat. Great workout as well.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    And it's like a big screen in the gym the list every one calories burn

That sounds hideous! I suppose it's meant to push you to work harder, but if I ever joined a gym that had this "feature" I would demand my money back and run out of there so damn fast that I wouldn't need any other exercise!

You've just burnt 450 cals (approximately, you'll never know for sure), and that's great.
    Why beat yourself up what someone else has done?
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have that in my gym. Honestly, there are so many factors. 450 is a good burn! Those others might have more because they are heavier, taller, male, or push themselves more (including not taking breaks). Don't try to compare though. It will drive you crazy! Just focus on your own heart rate, your zones (if you're doing that) and anything like "effort" or something that they often use. Compete only against yourself or you'll never feel successful.
  • marymitchell40
    Options
    Thanks every one, I feel better... Cause it was kind of discouraging
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    What were the exercises you were doing?
  • marymitchell40
    Options
    I was on the treadmill, squats, rower, lifting 10 lbs weight