Anorexia & MyFitnessPal

Options
My sister has an eating disorder. She has been through inpatient rehab 3 times. She has very dangerous behaviors. She has been hospitalized several times. She eats minimally and takes large doses of laxatives. Her last potassium check was 2.6 and she refused treatment (that's cardiac arrest potential there).

I know it's not possible but I really wish there was a way to not see her posts of "Sissy has lost 2.4# since her last weigh-in!". I really wish there was a way to NOT celebrate weight loss on this site where it's not appropriate.

There's nothing anyone can do about it. She's a grown woman, not an adolescent. She's 60 years old and killing herself despite many rounds of treatment. Not expecting anything from this site or anyone ... I just had to vent because it hurts my heart so to see her do this to herself and to the celebratory posts from MyFItnessPal on her Twitter feed. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I understand you just needed to vent. I cannot even imagine how hard this is for you to witness. I'm sorry.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How sad. I would probably unfollow her on social media. Social media is a luxury and does nto always help in complicated relationships.

Very sorry for you, and her.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I almost started tearing up reading this. My twin sister is currently suffering from anorexia. She doesn't use my fitness pal (as far as I know) but I know she obsessively counts calories. She was recently hospitalized with life threatening pneumonia at the age of 24 due to her anorexia. I wish I had something helpful to say. Like you, I wish I could reach my sister and convince her to seek treatment. I do think that there are many people with active EDs that use this site in a negative way. That's not to say it can't be helpful for some people with eating disorders but I do think it can be triggering for others.
  • xCyanideGirlx
    xCyanideGirlx Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry this is happening, i hope she gets help :( Unfortunately society tells women they must look anorexic in order to be attractive so many of us fall victim to it.
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you for understanding. Eating disorders are poorly understood and difficult to overcome. I do think I'll have unfollow her Twitter feed so I don't see those posts.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a sister with severe anorexia for 13 years. She unfortunately blocked all family members from social media :( I wish there were a solution to this horrible sickness...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    That sucks :( I'm mostly recovered but did the inpatient and day hospitalizations and all that jazz. Still have body dysmorphia (I think and hope!) and feel huge and overweight and only see my fat at bmi 20.0 but am not crazy restricting anymore. I am going back into therapy as I feel I am slipping a bit and I don't want to be the 60 year old anorexic (I'm now 40 but been on and off since 11). There is hope but hopefully she'll see it before it is too late. I was also abusing laxatives and now have Crohn's which I know isn't directly linked but I feel there is a connection as many of my former ED friends now have Crohn's or gastroparesis. It must be so hard to watch!