Meal replacement shakes

Options
Hi. Has anyone had any success losing weight with meal replacement shakes? If so, what types? Pros/cons would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Rapril2000
    Rapril2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A few years back I did the body by vi shakes for breakfast and lunch. I actually did lose about 30 lbs over time and they were yummy if you made good recipes. I was thinking about trying those again but really they seem like a short term answer to a long term goal.
  • greenbeanali11
    greenbeanali11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I did lose weight about two years ago with good old fashioned exercise and 1200 calories a day but gained recently due to an injury. Really I'm looking for something to help supplement for convenience as sometimes I just don't have time to make a healthy meal, and would rather grab a shake for an option than buying lunch out and getting a higher calorie option.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I did lose weight about two years ago with good old fashioned exercise and 1200 calories a day but gained recently due to an injury. Really I'm looking for something to help supplement for convenience as sometimes I just don't have time to make a healthy meal, and would rather grab a shake for an option than buying lunch out and getting a higher calorie option.

Sounds like you have a grip. Then the meal replacement becomes fuel.
  • CoreyTrumanOsborne
    CoreyTrumanOsborne Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use ISO Pure shakes. Low carb, high protein and has an impressive sources of vitamins that most protein shakes don't. http://www.amazon.com/Isopure-Protein-Powder-Creamy-Vanilla/dp/B000E95HP0
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Keep some Boost in the fridge if all you're looking for is a little something for convenience occasionally. There's no need to find the most expensive stuff.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A few times a week I drink the high protein Slim-Fast shakes for lunch, has 20g pro, 1g sugar.. it's great in a pinch.
  • greenbeanali11
    greenbeanali11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! If there is something out there to "jump start" weight loss that would be terrific- but maybe that's wishful thinking!!!
  • shaynesmom26
    shaynesmom26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a strawberry smoothie, and use slim fast french vanilla(1 scoop), and instead of sugar i use agave,.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds total so far (in 2 1/2 months including a week off where I gained back a few pounds and had to lose those all over again. Darn spring break!) and I have one meal replacement shake every day (sometimes 2). I use IdealShakes and mix them with almond milk (typically blend with ice and sometimes a banana or something else).
    I know some people on here can be quite aggressive and say that shakes don't work and they don't teach you how to eat healthy. I disagree with that as a blanket statement. I think they can be a useful tool in weight loss.

The ideal shake plan is to replace 2 meals per day with the shake and then have healthier snacks and meals during the day. I don't necessarily follow that.

I have a shake every morning for breakfast along with my coffee if I need coffee. It keeps me full for about 3 hours. I then have a snack (granola bar or fruit) and then a light lunch. Some days I will have a second shake as another snack and then I will have a light dinner. For me, the shakes work great because they are low cal (under 200 calories each when blended with unsweetened vanilla almond milk) and most of all, quick. I'm a student and I just won't wake up early enough to cook breakfast. The shake takes like 2 minutes to put together and blend on the way to school.

Ultimately, you have to do what works for you.

Two disclaimers:
    1. I have also incorporated exercise into my routine so that probably helped with my weight loss as well
    2. If you happen to peek at my diary, I'm on my second week of final exams so my recent diary entries are not an accurate reflection of how I typically eat or my activity level. I've been having less shakes because I need a bigger breakfast to get me through the 4+ hour exams. Luckily I'm back on track in two days :)

Sorry for the novel, but figured I would give my 2 cents. I'm happy to chat more or answer any questions. Also, if you ever decide you want to order or try ideal shakes, I recommend the cookies n cream or the chocolate. Those are my absolute favorites!

Good luck!!!
  • bekkahdiltz
    bekkahdiltz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use them. I found myself getting hungry when I drank them but I realized you have to drink it slower rather than chug it and it sticks with you longer. A lot of meal replacement shakes have a lot of sugar so you have to be careful. The best ones I have found are the Atkins shakes. Low carbs, low sugar, low sodium and high protien. They taste pretty good as well! I drink them every so often I don't make it a habit to drink them daily.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I'm doing two shakes a day and one meal until I can work out again. I asked a nutritionist to help me find the right product for me and have it on auto order through amazon
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    They are so bad....but no taste so good. No long term results for me. Best wishes.
  • blb_86
    blb_86 Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use meal replacement shakes. 2 shakes and 1 healthy meal a day with teo 100-200 calorie healthy snacks. Always satisfied, have lost weight and kept it off. I find them convenient and easy to use.
    To each there own, but I LOVE my shakes!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I'm doing two shakes a day and one meal until I can work out again. I asked a nutritionist to help me find the right product for me and have it on auto order through amazon

Um, have you tried real food? The nutritionist should have been able to help you with the real food part instead of the "throw your money down the drain" part.