Is more than 2lbs/week unhealthy?

I'm working on losing weight for good. So far I've lost around 10 lbs in 3ish weeks.
I weighed 155, now I weigh 145. I plan to lose at least 20 more.

I lose around 2.5-3lbs per week but the thing is a lose most of this bulk during the first few days of the week (Monday-Thursday).

From Monday to Thursday I usually workout and end up with 200ish extra calories but I still eat 1200++ and those extra are ones I gain from exercise.

By the weekend, I kinda let myself go. I go over my calorie limit by 300-500. You can check my diary for the patterns.
It's usually still a solid 1200 on fridays, 1400ish on saturdays, and 1800-2000 on sundays. So I usually have one day where I get up to more than 1800. (Saturday or Sunday) I don't gain weight during this period, my weight usually stays the same.

So I'm wondering if I'm really losing fat? When I reach my goal weight, will be able to keep it off if I eat my recommended amount to maintain my weight? I'm worried that my body is eating away at muscle and not fat.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    The closer you get to your goal weight the slower the weight will come off. This is natural. The last 10 pounds take forever. Towards the end of your weight loss journey - 1/2 pound a week weight loss will be reasonable.

Please don't lower your calories below 1200 to meet a specific pound a week figure.
  • it really depends on your body type, what your eating, and how your excersising it may or may not be a good thing i highly suggest going to a nutrionist or a doctor just because they specifically know whats best for your body not the people on MFP :)
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    it wont hold that pace for long. if it continues at that pace yes something is worng and not safe.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    The only way to know if you are losing fat or not is by getting your body fat percentage done by a professional (trainer or doctor).

I don't think 2.5 lb per week loss is unhealthy as long as you are able to maintain your eating and exercise habits and don't feel fatigued.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Its not unhealthy...as long as you are eating healthy and meeting your calories then its okay. I was losing 2-4 lbs when I first started every week. Its slowed down considerably but I knew it would. You're doing great, keep it up!:flowerforyou:
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Don't worry about it, eventually you will even out and may lose less after a few more weeks. I have a friend that durning her entire weight loss she would loose almost 3 pounds a week between exercise and eating right. Currently I am loosing between 2-3 pounds a week and I'm guessing after a few weeks I will lose only between 1-2 pounds a week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm working on losing weight for good. So far I've lost around 10 lbs in 3ish weeks.
    I weighed 155, now I weigh 145. I plan to lose at least 20 more.

I lose around 2.5-3lbs per week but the thing is a lose most of this bulk during the first few days of the week (Monday-Thursday).

From Monday to Thursday I usually workout and end up with 200ish extra calories but I still eat 1200++ and those extra are ones I gain from exercise.

By the weekend, I kinda let myself go. I go over my calorie limit by 300-500. You can check my diary for the patterns.
    It's usually still a solid 1200 on fridays, 1400ish on saturdays, and 1800-2000 on sundays. So I usually have one day where I get up to more than 1800. (Saturday or Sunday) I don't gain weight during this period, my weight usually stays the same.

So I'm wondering if I'm really losing fat? When I reach my goal weight, will be able to keep it off if I eat my recommended amount to maintain my weight? I'm worried that my body is eating away at muscle and not fat.

Re: maintainence. You get a certain calorie value per day based on your size and activity level. The smaller you are, the smaller that calorie value is. I think of maintainence as "dieting with snacks."
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Most people start out losing on the high end at first. It's just your body adjusting to the new lifestyle of good eating and exercise. Eventually if you keep within a couple hundred calories on either side of your daily goal it should slow to about a pound a week and then perhaps even less as you get closer. Good job starting out, though!!! :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    The general consensus I have read it that at over 2 pounds per week it is difficult to lose that weight without losing muscle at the same time. Realize though that you are just starting out, and that means you will also lose a lot of water weight. When I started my journey because of runaway high blood pressure I was put on a water pill and lost 10 pounds in a week with only moderate dieting. Then I lost another 10 when I had a stroke the next week. After that I didn't lose anything for a couple of months, albeit I didn't count calories, I just started eating healthier and exercising more. I really was not energetic enough for the first several months after the stoke to do much more, but as I recovered from that I started to actually count calories. That started the weight loss again. First is was quicker 2-4 pounds a week, but then settled to about 2 a week. Now that I am into a healthy BMI, the weight loss is much slower, but I am not as concerned about losing weight as I am about losing fat and resculpting my body with strength training. So it may take a few months to get to my weight goal, and even then I may have to change my goal to something lower.
  • Oh okay, thanks guys! I was worried because I read that more than 2 is unhealthy. For now, I'll just be grateful that I'm starting high and prepare for the worst when the pounds start dropping more slowly.

thanks again guys!