Black Bean Recipes?

Options
megreif
megreif Posts: 9
Hey everyone!

I would like to try to incorporate black beans into my diet...any recipe suggestions? Thanks :)

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Saw this one in the newspaper yesterday.

Black Bean Pineapple Salsa

1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve juice)
    1 cup diced red bell pepper
    6 thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 seeded jalapeno pepper, minced

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Toss and serve.
  • SarahSway
    SarahSway Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started a similar thread a few weeks ago and had some amazing recipes posted. Here's the link if you want to check it out. I absolutely LOVE black beans. :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/216285-what-s-your-favorite-recipe-with-black-beans
  • hopevictoria
    Options
    They are great with tacos!! I love shrimp tacos with avocado, black beans, cheese, low-fat sour cream and lime juice. Really yummy! You can also do quesadillas or burritos. I also like to put them on salad with chunk light tuna. You can also mash them up and make a black bean burger patty. There are some great recipes out there. Hope that helps!!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Someone has posted something like this before. Look at the top where is says search and do a search for black beans. I would post the url but I am not that techie :) hope this helps
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Dr. OZ made a black bean brownie recipe on his show the other day. Those that tried it on there said it was delicious. The receipe should be on his website www.droz.com I think it was 88 calories for one square. I'm planning on trying it - just haven't made it to the store yet.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You should check out goya.com Lots of good black bean recipes there.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I made black bean and corn salad last night.

1 can of black beans, rinsed
    1 can whole kernel corn, rinsed
    1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion (or red onion is good too)
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 teaspoons of Slap Yo Mama Seasoning (yellow)

Mix all togerther in a medium mixing bowl, chill 2 hours and serve (chilling overnight is better)

This is my paired down version, using just what I had in the fridge, but if you add red bell pepper, cilantro or whatever else you think would be good, you can really veg it up and make it awesome. A lot of the recipes call for sugar, but I just skip that part!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I make black bean burgers...and they are yummy!

Black Bean Burgers
    Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (rinse and then drain for a while, you really don't want wet beans!)
    1/2 bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces ( you can use red green, or yellow!)
    1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    3 egg whites ( or egg substitute) or 3 tsps of Ener G egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons of cold water
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon Taco sauce
    1 cup panko bread crumbs ( or plain, or quick cooking oats)

Directions

If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
    In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
    In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
    In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
    Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
    If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
    I made 2 batches of these since my youngest is allergic to eggs ( and I use an egg substitute). I half the batch they turned out great!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have two favorites with black beans. 1st - can of black beans, bag of frozen corn and a jar of salsa - crock pot for a few hours. Call it chili and serv in a bowl with a little shredded chesse on top and a couple of tortilla ships for garnish or call it chip dip. Ok, so some salsas are high salt - check the label for a lower salt version. 2nd - The other is to spread cream cheese on the bottom of a pan, pour a jar of black bean (I think it's called Desert Cactus or something like that) dip over that, then cover with a can of black beans and a bag of frozen corn and bake until bubbly. then I put shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and onions and shredded cheese over the top and serve with chips. Probably not as low cal but makes a nice vegitarian alternative to chili dip.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump
  • megreif
    megreif Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I checked out the older post too, looks like I have a lot of ideas to try out now :)
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a black bean recipe that works with fish tacos? I want to add the black beans on the tacos actually, but wondering if I should add them raw or into a mix or something
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I love black beans! I'm actually having black bean w/ lime soup today for lunch :) Its a dehydrated soup but only 170 calories but lots of fiber and protein. Also, one of my favorite things to have for dinner (or lunch) is a black bean-burrito bowl. You can add or omit any of these items:
    chicken breast (with taco seasoning)
    spanish rice
    tomato
    avoacado
    jalepeno
    salsa
    shredded cheese
    olives
    shredded lettuce
    corn
    I dont' add all of this stuff, you can even just have the veggies mentioned, heat the beans in the micro then add whatever you want in! Its so filling and delicious!!
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump