Need a boost

Options
cardonne0810
cardonne0810 Posts: 9 Member
edited May 2016 in Motivation and Support
I can never seem to get a day without going over my calorie quota any tips I feel this is a lonely battle

Replies

• shanna_wainwright
    shanna_wainwright Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I try to track all my healthy food in advance. Breakfast/lunch/dinner and a healthy snack. Then I look up everything else before it goes in my mouth. Sometimes I decide that cookie is worth it... Other times I can't bring myself to "spend" 35 calories on a Hershey Kiss, lol! If I'm close to going over, I tell myself I have to burn it off- if I can't, I don't eat it. It's hard some days, but you can do it!!
  • kearly206
    kearly206 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Support from the community made me more strong willed and it's only been 35 days!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be lonely. Add me as a friend.

Learning takes time. Give yourself the space to learn how to stay within your calorie goal.
  • suzmom23
    suzmom23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. It can be hard. What goal have you set yourself? Are you trying to lose 2 lbs a week or less? I tried to lose 2 but decided that I needed to not be hangry and crazy grumpy all the time so I lowered my goal to 1lb and am having a much easier time. I am still losing and am getting better at period control. Some days I am closer to a 2lb a week goal others I am at 1lb but I am losing and that is what matters. :)
  • gordonfitlog
    gordonfitlog Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Find out what the big numbers are from. And start there. Take a look at your foodlog and see if you can adjust any heavy hitters.
    Are you using too much dressing? If you love the ranch...rather than dumping on 3 or 4 tablespoons, try putting just one and shaking it in a container to get it all throughout.

at 40-60calories a serving...you could easily get 100-200 calories in dressing alone if not carefull.

Really its all about finding yourself a low calorie base plan of healthy options. And then budget in the good stuff.

Example.

Breakfast
    1egg, and 3 egg whites. 140 calories.

Lunch
    Spinich salad with 100grams chicken breast. 350 calories

Dinner

Salad, Side of cauliflour, broccoli. 175 calories.

Now that is 665 calories covered, for a base meal plan. That of course is way too little for a day, but now you can add.

Dinner NEED MEAT. Add a pork chop. 200 calories

Lunch, throw in some grated cheese. mmmmm 60 calories

Breakfast, needs mushrooms, onions and peppers 50 calories

Now the meals are tasty. and still at 975 calories to go. That leaves (depending on your budget, lets assume 1800) 825 calories left. WELLLL THEN. An hour after breakfast have an apple. Getting peckish before lunch?? 3 pickles sliced up with 20grams of cheese and a few crackers. OnandOnandOnblahblahblahblahblah.

Once again, find a good base meal plan that has a low calorie hit. And then fill the gaps. Dont worry about going too conservative, you would be amazed at how much food you can fit in a calorie budget if you cut all the good stuff...so don't be afraid to get some yum up in there.

Just be aware of eating out. Its hard to stay in budget when you eat out a lot. That Sausage egg/hashbrowns with its 500+ calories, and 4sugar 3 cream 250 calorie coffee can really hurt.

Do you eat eggs? Did you know that while an egg has 80-90 calories, the white from that egg only has less than 20. So 3 fried eggs, can become 1 fried egg, with 3 egg whites. (so same volume, and still yolky taste) But now you are looking at 140 calories instead of up to 270.

Not seeing what you are eating we really cant offer direct alternatives but a few things that I like as filler for low calorie cost.

Egg whites......wonderfully low in calories and taste like whatever you make em taste like.
    Mushrooms, again low calories but fry up great.
    Onions, peppers, chives, cabbage, etc..... Stir fry a nice portion at bottom calorie hit.
    Lettuce, spinich, kale, all great, just watch the dressing.

Kraft low calorie Italian dressing. 5calories a tablespoon...WHLY SHIZT. I love this stuff

Sugar free jello....when you just NEED a sweet fix. Only 5 calories a serving.
    Fruit....straberries, blueberries, rasberries blackberries BERRIES....they truly are a super treat.

And if you want to splurge a little but not too much on those berries......dream whip. Coolwhip like goodness but only 8 calories a tablespoon. JUST MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE before you eat the whole box.

Well i seem to have gone off on a pointless rant about it. Didnt mean to fill a page.

TLDR
    Cook, and make a base food plan that gives you room too spurge a bit. Then track to splurge.
  • MrsQuinones132
    MrsQuinones132 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time and use your previously logged in food to help guide you. It's something that I'm 1still working on but I've made great strides, slowly but still. At first I was starving, literally felt sick everyday for 2 weeks until I almost fainted. At that point I started to put in my planned meals before eating them to see what my calorie intake would be for the day and started to tweak things to make sure I'm eaither under or close by a couple of calories. It's helped, planning ahead isn't always fun but it does take away the stress and more importantly I'm not hungry! Keep up the fight and feel free to add. Good luck on your journey.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How much did you set mfp to lose per week?What is your calorie goal? How much are you going over? It could be u need a higher goal. If you're over by less than 100 cals, don t sweat it.
  • cardonne0810
    Options
    Thanks for the boost
  • cardonne0810
    Options
    Calories per day 1400. Loose 1lb perweek. For the moment sticking to calories. Gets urges for treats in the evening!that's my downfall
  • cardonne0810
    Options
    Find out what the big numbers are from. And start there. Take a look at your foodlog and see if you can adjust any heavy hitters.
    Are you using too much dressing? If you love the ranch...rather than dumping on 3 or 4 tablespoons, try putting just one and shaking it in a container to get it all throughout.

at 40-60calories a serving...you could easily get 100-200 calories in dressing alone if not carefull.

Really its all about finding yourself a low calorie base plan of healthy options. And then budget in the good stuff.

Example.

Breakfast
    1egg, and 3 egg whites. 140 calories.

Lunch
    Spinich salad with 100grams chicken breast. 350 calories

Dinner

Salad, Side of cauliflour, broccoli. 175 calories.

Now that is 665 calories covered, for a base meal plan. That of course is way too little for a day, but now you can add.

Dinner NEED MEAT. Add a pork chop. 200 calories

Lunch, throw in some grated cheese. mmmmm 60 calories

Breakfast, needs mushrooms, onions and peppers 50 calories

Now the meals are tasty. and still at 975 calories to go. That leaves (depending on your budget, lets assume 1800) 825 calories left. WELLLL THEN. An hour after breakfast have an apple. Getting peckish before lunch?? 3 pickles sliced up with 20grams of cheese and a few crackers. OnandOnandOnblahblahblahblahblah.

Once again, find a good base meal plan that has a low calorie hit. And then fill the gaps. Dont worry about going too conservative, you would be amazed at how much food you can fit in a calorie budget if you cut all the good stuff...so don't be afraid to get some yum up in there.

Just be aware of eating out. Its hard to stay in budget when you eat out a lot. That Sausage egg/hashbrowns with its 500+ calories, and 4sugar 3 cream 250 calorie coffee can really hurt.

Do you eat eggs? Did you know that while an egg has 80-90 calories, the white from that egg only has less than 20. So 3 fried eggs, can become 1 fried egg, with 3 egg whites. (so same volume, and still yolky taste) But now you are looking at 140 calories instead of up to 270.

Not seeing what you are eating we really cant offer direct alternatives but a few things that I like as filler for low calorie cost.

Egg whites......wonderfully low in calories and taste like whatever you make em taste like.
    Mushrooms, again low calories but fry up great.
    Onions, peppers, chives, cabbage, etc..... Stir fry a nice portion at bottom calorie hit.
    Lettuce, spinich, kale, all great, just watch the dressing.

Kraft low calorie Italian dressing. 5calories a tablespoon...WHLY SHIZT. I love this stuff

Sugar free jello....when you just NEED a sweet fix. Only 5 calories a serving.
    Fruit....straberries, blueberries, rasberries blackberries BERRIES....they truly are a super treat.

And if you want to splurge a little but not too much on those berries......dream whip. Coolwhip like goodness but only 8 calories a tablespoon. JUST MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE before you eat the whole box.

Well i seem to have gone off on a pointless rant about it. Didnt mean to fill a page.

TLDR
    Cook, and make a base food plan that gives you room too spurge a bit. Then track to splurge.

• cardonne0810
    Options
    Great advise creating base then filling in gaps. Yes dressing is a killer...olive oil!!! Am studying what I eat and nutrition values. Have to tweak though..
  • cardonne0810
    Options
    Thanks for great tips everyone