Hip pain from running

Options
zdyb23456
zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
So I've been running regularly for the past 2.5 years and it's been going great... Except in the last few months I've been experiencing pain in my left hip. It feels like it's inside my hip so it's not bursitis or IT band (my knee does not hurt). I'm not sure what else it could be. Google search says possibly a stress fracture, which I don't think it is. It doesn't bother me when I'm running, just when I'm not running! I log about 20-25 miles a week.

Anyway, I was hoping for some ideas. I really hate going to the Dr - they never tell me anything new. Plus, he'll tell me to stop running :(

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I would go to a physiotherapist rather than a doctor - a good one will be able to determine what's causing the pain and discuss strategies to fix it. They might say rest for a while, but should also work with you to get you running again asap.

When I had hip pain a few years ago, the physio suggested that I work on core strength and that helped a lot. But until you know what's causing the issue you won't know how to fix it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Most of these types of pain relate tp core / hip / glute strength (have you been x-training & strength training?) but I agree with the above....have it diagnosed properly (PT, sports medicine clinic......not a chiropractor) rather than relying on the advice of strangers.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would go to your doc but it that doesn't work for you.....look up hip flexor injuries and treatments. It's a common injury for runners.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You prob have to go to doc to get referral to PT.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Maybe an adductor strain? I'm pretty sure that's what I strained (doing deadlifts, not running, but runners are also susceptible) and the pain does not have to be in the groin area to be an adductor strain. My pain was also in the hip area as well as the outer thigh, but not the knee. You should ask a physiotherapist and see what they say and report back. I'm curious.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with my left hip. I used the elliptical I'm place of my run for a few weeks and then went back to running without any pain. I found that if I stick to the same running shoes I have less issues over all. New shoes for me cause problems.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I've decided to scale back my speed and mileage considerably. Today, I used the elliptical to make up the difference. I'm stretching it out every chance I get too. I'm going to do this for a while and see if it improves. If not, I'll call the doctor and hopefully he'll give me a referral to sports medicine.

Thanks for the suggestions and responses!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Are your hip flexors tight?