Need some advice regarding protein

Options
Hello folks!

I recently restarted my diet, and yet again I have serious trouble hitting my protein macros.

I work out 3-4 times a week. A workout consists of a 15-20 minute treadmill warmup and another ~hour of weightlifting (moderate, rest between sets, not very cardio intensive). For this I usually log 200-300 calories burned.

So taking into account my sedentary job, I came to the conlclusion that I must eat about 150gr of protein each day in order not to loose muscle, and squeeze it into an 1700 cal diet plan (so arount 1900-2000 cal during exercise days).

I already eat eggs during breakfast and some decent quality, although not top shelf canned tuna. I try squeezing in some meat during the day but I am always short, at about 90gr of protein .. and already at my calorie goal, I already eat very lean and low carbs.

I do not know what to do, protein powder is the only way to get clean protein ? I do not wish to jump on the powder bandwagon, but I have been pondering about buying some of this:
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

Did any of you have any experience with it ?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I will throw a protein drink or bar into the mix if I am particularly low on protein, but I prefer a serving of Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

I haven't tried the one you posted, protein drink flavours are personal, just give it a try if you think it will help.

Probably anything over .65g per lbs of body weight ( goal body weight if obese) should be enough. (Jmo)

Cheers, h.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a ton of hard earned mass you fear losing and you're on an aggressive cut, 150 is probably way more than you need. That being said I fit about as much protein as that in with a lot of goofing off calories every day.

It's not hard, I may use one scoop of protein powder but other than that I always have cooked chicken on-hand. Don't eat tuna everyday if you buy into the mercury concern. I batch cook steel cut oats and beans. Beans will help, about 10g protein for 150 cals depending on type plus the other benefits that come with beans.

I don't eat "lean." Not sure what you mean but my diary is open if you need examples. My daily is 2100 for maintaining usually keep to that as I'm lifting and working out with my wife. I can generally hit at least 120 g protein before I've hit 3/4 of my calories, and I blow about 300 calories a day on just coffee creamer. It's not too hard, just have to cook.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've also had a hard time meeting my protein goal. I find if I make up a batch of shredded chicken thighs in my slowcooker, I can toss them in everything for a bit of added protein. I throw them in scrambled eggs for breakfast, make a wrap for lunch, toss it in my sauce when I make pasta or with my rice. And sometimes I even just have a bowl of it after a hard workout.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling to hit your protein goal then yes, supplement it with a protein powder.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Post workout there is nothing like a protein shake...

Just make it a habit. Get that shake ready....
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I would have a hard time getting in 150g protein a day, too! After exercise I drink a Premier Protein shake which has 30g protein.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Prioritise protein in your diet - 150g of protein is approx 600 calories so you have sufficient calories to hit that goal but you must be "spending" too many calories on carbohydrate or fat.

Add cottage cheese, chicken breast, turkey, youghurt etc to your diet in place of some of the stuff that is low protein but taking you up to your 1700cals.
  • Rodney_Mckay
    Rodney_Mckay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your replies.

I will try out the batch chicken cooking advice, maybe cook some for 1-2 days in advance. In the meantime I ordered some of the stuff, a smaller package as I wont have time to cook every day.
  • NewCass1982
    NewCass1982 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Genepro protein powder only 1 table spoon had 30g of protein in it. Also I use premier protein shakes. I had bariatric Surgery done so I have to have 60 to 100g of protein daily. Bars are ok but some have to much sugar and carbs for me. I really love genepro. It's practically tasteless and it mixes great with anything.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have tried myprotein (chocolate smooth and english toffee) before. They were OK tasting but I probably wouldn't buy english toffee again.

For the taste I prefer musclepharm combat cookies n cream - I buy it when it goes on sale at Costco and it works out to be close to the price of myprotein.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to use protein powders (unless i'm camping/travellng) and I hit around 130-160g of protein a day on a 1800-2100 calorie goal while also eating lower carb, and moderate-high fat. I usually eat 4-8oz of salmon or meat with my breakfast, 2 chicken breasts (about 10-12oz) and 2 eggs with my lunch, and 6-8oz of pork/lamb/meat with my dinner. I'm averaging about 140g of protein pretty easily that way.

Chicken breasts, smoked salmon, steak and hardboiled eggs are the vast majority of my protein sources on most given days.

When i do supplement with a powder (again, very rarely) I use Gold Standard Whey Protein because all their flavors are pretty good and low in sugar - 2 g of sugar for every 24g of protein.
  • literallyholden1
    literallyholden1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in the same situation that I don't eat enough protein for the amount of work that I do. Not only is my job active - on average I will walk 10km a day and lift things, but I then also go to the gym, and complete 5-10 km runs 3 times per week.

Because I enjoy food so much I don't really want to take protein shakes if I can help it. Instead I would rather consume smaller meals regularly, but in so doing I am finding that my carbohydrates blow out more often then obtaining the required amount of protein. Does anyone recommend any meals that are higher in protein than carbs that will help increase these? Unfortunately, for the next 6 months I don't have the opportunity to get access to Greek yoghurt nor cottage cheese.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    How is protein powder the only source of "clean" protein (whatever that even means)??

How about some chicken breast? Pork loin? Sirloin?

There's nothing wrong with protein powder. I just don't get where you're getting the idea that it's the only clean protein.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    batch cooking chicken is great (or if you're lazy like me, buy the rotisserie chickens cooked at the store and pull the skin off), boiled eggs (not my thing), I eat a lot of surimi (crab stick) as well, and I do use protein powders. I found that i'm not allotted enough calories in the day to really be eating complex carbs and hit the protein goal, so I don't. lunch is some huge amount of protein (chicken breast or ground beef and fried eggs usually), and dinner is some huge amount of protein (chicken, fish, lean steak, pork) and veggies. My carbs come almost exclusively from vegetables at this point.