Don't want to lose my abs

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I second @IbrahimMohidin. Slow bulk (TDEE+250 calories), you will slow your muscle gains but also your fat gains.
    if your food intake is the only thing that changes then you will get fat but if you increase your training intensity/frequency and eat 90% clean, you can make steady gains without excess fat
    Uh no. Surplus is energy overage and the body doesn't recognize whether it's from "clean" eating or "dirty" eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why people are so adverse to the term 'clean eating'. Clean eating implies a diet of healthy, unprocessed food from natural sources, as opposed to a dirty bulk of fast foods and takeaways.

Anyone wanting to gain lean mass and improve their physique will do better on clean foods which lack additives, chemicals and preservatives found in processed.

It's not just about calories, it's about your health too.
  • Farrell1129
    Farrell1129 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    I'm paranoid about losing my abs definition. I'm trying to bulk for the first time and I have gained a couple of pounds which looks nice in jeans but my abs are not the same!!!! I'm trying to work my abs harder on purpose. Any advice !!

Get in a small surplus and focus on progressing #'s in the gym to "clean bulk". When all goes correctly you don't gain fat that others will notice, and then it's easy to lean down again. The trick is to go slow. Once you have it down, you always have "abs" - it's just a varying degree of how visible and deep they are.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    I have no idea why people are so adverse to the term 'clean eating'. Clean eating implies a diet of healthy, unprocessed food from natural sources, as opposed to a dirty bulk of fast foods and takeaways.

Anyone wanting to gain lean mass and improve their physique will do better on clean foods which lack additives, chemicals and preservatives found in processed.

It's because the term is arbitrary and has so many different meanings its not even funny. Well all agree that one should get a diet with a variety of nutrient dense foods (lean meats, fish, fruits, veggies, whole grains). No one is suggesting a diet all in pizza and doughnuts. And quite often, members come on here who struggle to get enough calories, so adding additional limitations by telling them to eat based on a subjective terms can make it even more difficult. But it doesn't matter how clean your foods are, if you aren't hitting a surplus, you aren't going to reach your goals.

But believe it or not, we all kind of agree that one should address their nutrient goals first before diving into the less nutritionally beneficial foods.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

I don't think you know what dirty bulk means. It is all about calories. You can dirty bulk on whatever your meaning of clean foods are.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

I don't think you know what dirty bulk means. It is all about calories. You can dirty bulk on whatever your meaning of clean foods are.

^ This. The difference between a "clean" and "dirty" bulk has nothing to do with the ridiculous, arbitrary phrase "clean eating".
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You guys prefer to argue the toss over every term you don't agree with, rather than provide help and advice to those seeking it.

I give up with these forums.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    _benjammin wrote: »

^ This. The difference between a "clean" and "dirty" bulk has nothing to do with the ridiculous, arbitrary phrase "clean eating".

quoted for truth.
    You guys prefer to argue the toss over every term you don't agree with, rather than provide help and advice to those seeking it.

Meh- it's about trying to help people- if you don't want to be educated at all feel free to choose to stay under your rock.

Now- OP- options
    1.) Go for a slow *kitten* recomp on the way up- and do your best to hold on to the abs.
    2.) get over it and realize it's part of the territory
    3.) don't bulk LOL

sometimes you gotta pick one and go with it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Correcting misinformation is helpful. Giving people false information will only cause them to be disappointed when they follow the information and not achieve the results they want. Bulking terms have specific meanings which have been skewed by communities of people. And those terms are directly tied to the size of the surplus, not the types of foods.