A question about my daily goals and meeting calorie requirem

Options
Ive a question regarding my daily goals.
My daily net calorie goal is 2,500.
I burn off between 700 and 1,200 calories a day.

Today, for example, focusing on calories, when factored in, considering my goals, my daily goal for calories changed to 3,679.
However, I consume around 1,872 calories today, thus leaving 1,807 remaining.

I find it quite difficult to fulfill my daily calorie requirement. I was also told that for optimum progress, I am supposed to consume enough calories to approach my daily goal.

so with all those numbers considered, what are the pros and cons of fulfilling only half of my daily caloric intake? Will consuming around 1,800 calories to meet my caloric intake really benefit me or set me back?

Replies

• frank1987
    frank1987 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ive a question regarding my daily goals.
    My daily net calorie goal is 2,500.
    I burn off between 700 and 1,200 calories a day.

Today, for example, focusing on calories, when factored in, considering my goals, my daily goal for calories changed to 3,679.
    However, I consume around 1,872 calories today, thus leaving 1,807 remaining.

I find it quite difficult to fulfill my daily calorie requirement. I was also told that for optimum progress, I am supposed to consume enough calories to approach my daily goal.

so with all those numbers considered, what are the pros and cons of fulfilling only half of my daily caloric intake? Will consuming around 1,800 calories to meet my caloric intake really benefit me or set me back?
  • christahollis
    Options
    That's one that I struggle with too!

My net calorie goal daily is like 1500. I burn around 1000 calories daily in exercise...sometimes as much as 1500, depending on what I feel like doing. But I struggle to net half of this. I'm usually still down 1000 calories by the end of the day.
    I think in the end, it really does matter...

That said, I also have a thyroid disorder AND another thyroid-unrelated metabolic disorder...so my weight loss is painfully slow. (I've been working out with this same intensity and watching my diet for over a year--just started logging on this site in Jan.
    and I've only taken off 22 lbs. all told). So I think my struggles may be more related to my own issues than the net calories thing (but maybe if I were closer to the goal, I'd lose better...so I keep trying).
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    wow how impressive. I usually can't burn off more than 200 calories a day.

If you guys are burning that much calories a day, just make sure you are eating enough so that you are healthy and you dont feel dizzy, etc.

I would say eat your net calorie goal and if you are hungry after your work out, then please eat. It is obviously no harm too if you are burning that much calories a day. You only need a deficit of 500 calories a day for a 1lb loss.

You guys are doing amazing.
  • christahollis
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    I absolutely love my workouts...and I usually do two thirty minute cardio sessions daily. There's more if I go and play soccer with my five year old, or we run races together at the gym. And then the weight training. But I do take a day off every week.
    The thing is...I'm not hungry and I feel like I'm eating all the time. I'm always looking around for something else to eat with my calorie goal in mind (not because I'm hungry). I really watch my portion sizes, and have been trying to make really healthy choices, but I still have a chocolate chip cookie or something on a pretty regular basis.
    It's just rough trying to approach that goal every day.
  • frank1987
    frank1987 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! :-D For the most part, I walk everywhere I go and measure my speed. Most of the days I walk for over 2 hours: one 1+ hour session at a brisk pase and the rest at a moderate pace. I limit myself to eating 5 times a day: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, with water. I watch all my portions and get only one, two in the event that I have to bring up my calorie intake. I have also limited foods with minimal processing and oils and fats. I suppose my strictness on what I eat has made it a bit of a challenge to acquire the designated amount of calories.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry, then don't eat...you don't want to be force yourself to eat.

Just satisfy your hunger and if you want an extra piece of something tonight or want a glass of chocolate milk, etc. you have rewarded yourself with all of your amazing exercises.

I wish I could even get 1000 burned calories a week. I am struggling to get any exercise in.

So proud of ya :wink:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    This is something I've looked at also and wondered if I should be eating more. I only get about 1210 calories and I COULD eat that at breakfast. I plan 3 meals at 300 calories and 3 snacks at 100 calories. That's actually not as easy as it sounds. I'm always looking for ways to decrease calories while keeping taste. After all, I have to eat this way for a long, long, long, long time, and I LOVE FOOD.....I love the way I feel after exercising and work out 7days a week. I do an hour of cardio, which I've calculated at between 600 and 650 calories a day. Every other day I do something else in addition. I have some tapes that are 20 minutes long and they cover stretching, weights, calesthenics, etc. On the days I dance with my daughter and do intense housework or yard work I add those calories so I get between 600 and 900 additional calories a day. I use about 300 of the additional calories to give some "UMPH" to my otherwise meager rations. Since I rarely come close to eating the allowance for carbs or fat, the extra calories earned allows me to indulge in a little extra serving in that area. I've just started so I have no idea the impact of any of this yet. But I'll let you know how it goes.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I actually eat 7 times a day! Early snack (cause I hate to eat right when I get up so I have coffee and a protein bar on my drive to work) Breakfast, pre-workout snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, after dinner snack or dessert. Even with all that eating I can't eat all my "earned" calories but I'm usually within about 100 calories. I'm allotted 1200 calories and I usually burn around 500 - 600 working out. So far I'm losing about 2lbs a week on average. But I've only been doing this for about 3 weeks and 3lbs of that was in the first week. I've slowed down a little but I think it was due to that time of the month.
  • juliara
    Options
    how do i request friends?
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    how do i request friends?

Click on their name (ex. juliara) and then there's an option for "add friend" that you simply click. You can request with or without a message. Hopefully this helps!:bigsmile:
    *Kistinbee*